Mel Tucker Background

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Apr 8, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,032 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,732ß
    The way I deal with it all is to figure last season is over with and it doesn't do me any good to get my blood pressure up over what happened in the past.

I'm over it.

But what happens THIS season is still important to me, and my blood pressure WILL go up if the defense isn't better. I like to think it will be fine this year. I don't see how it could be as bad as last year, even when we DO have injury woes, because it looks to me like we're going to have better depth, and some veterans in place to help the younger players navigate through the injuries.

But if we do end up as a bottom-5 defense again, then I have a problem with that. Mel will need to be shuffled out the door at that point. But right now "it's all good" and Mel is the man. I'm hopeful he'll prove to be a solid coach. If not, then flush him down the toilet.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    506ß
    I'm over it too. Pissed off to high hell last year but off the ledge now lol. I'm not going to re-litigate last years defensive debacle.

Re: Tucker, an interesting development is that Phil added "depth" in the coaching ranks this season in addition to the player roster. Paul P (whatever his name is) is a well respected DL coach who's also been a HC at the college level and a DC in the NFL. His hiring should help the DL a lot I would think--Ratliff raved about him--and he's a shot across the bow so to speak for Tucker. As in...."if you don't cut it, your successor is standing right next to you on the sideline don't forget that".
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,660ß
    Trust me. The last thing I want to do is get sucked into another long debate on it. I ignored the initial post, but then the comment about my not getting it got under my skin. It's all good. People stand behind the "I post facts" thing when most of the time, there are SOME facts that are then used to extrapolate and pass opinions off as further facts. I see it all the time and normally it doesn't bother me, but hey... I don't go after anyones opinions whether I agree or not. I just expect the same courtesy when I post. Really, pretty much everyone here is good that way.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,032 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,732ß
    We had "The Official Flogging Chris Conte Thread" and maybe we needed "The Official Flogging Mel Tucker Thread" too. That way we could have vented our spleens and got last season completely out of our system and moved on :-)
  5. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,660ß
    meh... not sure anyone is really dwelling on it any more. But not sure anyone has really changed their own viewpoints either because no new data has come forth. Depending on how next year goes, people will start shifting either behind Tucker or against him. But I'm sure there will still be room for "discussion"
  6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +919 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,083ß
    I agree, pretty much a wait and see.:10 4 4v[1]:
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +917 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    767ß
    We don't have to agree, but that doesn't mean I can't dispute what you're saying. This is how conversation works bro. You say something, I either agree or disagree and explain why. You do the same. What amazes me, and perhaps is what has me so worked up is how you just dismiss losing the key players we lost, and assume guys who couldn't start normally should replace pro bowl level players. Forgive me....but I just can't wrap my brain around that. So I guess I should ask myself why it's so hard to get...cause it is!! It's like saying hey...we lost one of the best surgeons in the world who was going to do your surgery, but we got this guy we just brought in who normally wouldn't do this surgery who's going to do it. He probably won't be very good to start...but we're thinking after 5 or so surgeries he'll be on that other guys level....makes sense. I can say for a FACT that when your defense loses as much talent as ours did it will do much much worse. I'm not attacking you personally so let's not get all touchy.
  8. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,660ß
    No need to wrap your brain around it. I never said that. You are saying I said that. What I said was that there would be a drop off of unknown proportions. My opinion is that the drop off should not have been from a top 5 down to the very last (or next to last (depending on the metric you want to use). And that whatever drop off there was should have started to be mitigated as the players got better at their positions. That did not happen either.

This is my last post on this to you. So far, twice we have "discussed" this and twice we have ended the same way. Last time you dragged it many posts. I may be stupid, but I try not to do the same stupid thing twice. We see it differently. Deal with it.
  9. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Turning into Steve RosenRant now are we? LOLOL

Once Uncle Phil and Cousin Marc said they were backing Tucker for another year I figured there was no sense trying to paddle upstream. Besides Phil went out and surrounded him with so much new talent both on the field and in the coaches rooms that there will be NO excuses this year based on anything, injuries included. Backups need to be made ready to play with little or no loss of impact. That's how backups get to be starters.

What didn't happen last year is just that, last year. There are enough signs of life in this team all the way from George McCaskey's COB seat through Ted Phillips chair to the GMs office and coaches meeting rooms to the players locker rooms to tell me they mean to become the Monsters of the Midway again so be it. Even when the Bears were a study in offensive futility they still kicked teams butts defensively and Bears fans won't accept less.

From my perspective a thousand miles away Phil Emery got THAT message plain and clear and didn't wait around to do something about it. If Mel Tucker can't mold a top defense out of this bunch not only can he kiss his DC job goodbye but also whatever chance he has for becoming a HC candidate any time soon both in the NFL and in major college ranks. He's got his destiny in his hands right now and I think he knows that. Few would ever be granted the grace of this second chance he's getting so he better make the best of it.
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    506ß
    I think that's the best way to put the Tucker situation fairly whether you wanted him fired (as I did) or retained. Yes, he was dealt a bad hand so to speak last season with key injuries and lack of depth. No denying that. No denying also that the overall D looked like a clown school all year in terms of knowing the calls and run gaps especially and that young players didn't show the improvement you should expect to see by their 8th game compared to their 1st. It cuts both ways. The former stuff was a reasonable alibi that wasn't Tucker's fault but the latter he has to shoulder responsibility for, even though Phil and Marc foisted some of the blame on positional coaches who have since been fired. Tucker kept his job, after no clear vote of confidence at the end-of-season presser, mainly because giving him another chance was the path of least resistance IMO.

Now, put up or shut up, Mel. Injuries or no injuries, you have to be the first DC in NFL history to preside over an epic one-season collapse from top-5 to bottom-5 and STILL KEEP YOUR JOB.

The hiring of PP was a clear shot across the bow that Tucker is eminently replaceable which he wasn't in the immediate aftermath of last season. And as Soul said Tucker's chance at being a HC candidate or even a DC candidate elsewhere is gone for a long long time if he craps the bed again this year. Results matter.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +919 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,083ß
    Top 5???? I dunno about that big of a change to keep his job but I agree the arrow definitely needs to be pointed up and at a minimum in the top 15. I believe we have the players to be top 10 but doubt we fire Tucker if he produces the 8th ranked defense.
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    506ß
    I was referring to the fact that the Bears D was a top-5 unit(1st overall by Aikmann ranking) in 2012 and collapsed to the basement in 2013.
  13. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +919 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,083ß
    yeah, I miss read it
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,032 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,732ß
    But if Mel WOULD put a top-5 defense on the field this year we'll take it :lol 027:
    But I'll be a happy camper if we're simply in the top half of the NFL this year. What I don't want to see is us being in the bottom third in defense. We should be better than that.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I'd favor a top ten in points allowed if we hope to even get close to a SB. They can gain all the yardage between the 20s and kick all the FGs they like against us, just keep 'em out of the end zone is all.
  16. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,660ß
    My personal hope was also a top 10, and I don't see why we can't be there depending on who we get in the draft and maybe in later FA.
  17. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +919 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,083ß
    I want the defense to stay fresh and not the Lovie bend but dont break. Leaves them on the field to long and leads to being tired at the end when we may need them to make a stand. Keep um fresh and off the field.
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    That means we attack more and rotate players even faster. Either way you do it you need depth. Our offense holding the ball for longer periods is what we need to keep 'em off the field. Win the TOP battle by a wide margin and the defense stays fresh as a newly laid egg. Don't win the TOP consistently and it's a fried egg. LOL
    • Like Like x 1
  19. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    434ß
    This is my Mel Tucker background: I was and still am anti-Tucker. I don't buy the injury excuse. Not for falling from top 5 or whatever to dead last. The Tuckered-Out Defense has to go.

However, Since Emery & Co. gave him a second chance, I am too. I hope he does well, and the defense plays top-10. I took my Fire Mel Tucker banner out of my signature, but I will not be hesitant to replace it again though, if he stinks up Soldier Field.