Mel Tucker revisualizes retooled Bears defense

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Chicago_66, May 17, 2014.

1. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ears-spt-0518-20140518,0,5750775.story?page=3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,462 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    678ß
    Tucker is a little more open about his plans here and yet I'm still not sure I get it. He says nothing and he says everything. I guess if his objective is to confuse the opposition I should congratulate him because he has me confused already as far as what he really plans to do.

Every DC wants his guys to be smart, fast and aggressive. I haven't heard one yet who said we need to slow our guys down because they're really dumb and we like to draft them that way. I guess I get it. He wants to be able to do everything.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what develops because I don't really have a clue even after reading this. One article interprets his comments as meaning he's making big changes and then you read this and he doesn't really say that. He says they keeping some things the same, changing what they call it, adding some things and are gonna wait to see who can do what before telling us what style of D they plan to play other than it's gonna be a base 4-3 with some variations on a theme.

All I can say is that I hope his players have a better grip on it than I can get from this.
  3. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +169 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    Its his last year babes. Either he gets done with what Emery handed him in the whole off-season or he is one gone goose.
  4. EternalChampion

EternalChampion Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    It's all puppies and rainbows until your defenders start trying to slap and tickle the ball carrier while he gains an additional 20 yards.

If we just tackled guys backward that would improve our defense 900%.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,475 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    283ß
    Soul confuses himself 90% of the time so no surprise anyone else, especially a professional coach does.

What I find interesting here is that he says he wants big physical guys, the DL got much bigger, but he still wants pressure primarily from the front 4, and instead of soft zone coverage he wants press man coverage. But last year, i'm guessing b/c of the inj's, and lack of rush from the front 4, there were a ton of blitzes, and bostic/shea are going to be better blitzing, as well as fuller...misdirections?

seems that misdirection is going to come from where people line up, Houston/Young inside/outside Ratty/Collins/Paea/Sutton/Ego DT/NT etc. Probably see some Maybe some 3-4(ego has the size for it and Ratliff was a 3-4 NT in Dallas, Houston/Young/Shea/Bass can all be 3-4 DE's if necessary)

Seems like a lot of the scheme is going to be built around what players are starting and what they can do over trying to fit them into a system.
  6. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +169 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    Congratulations you just elevated Soul to O.C.
    • Like Like x 1