Mel Tucker Will Return

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Jan 14, 2014.

1. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +598 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    239ß
    I saw a poll where the question was "Will Cornwash developed into to top-notch pass rusher?" 715 people voted, and 78% said "yes." Our guy Bearstuff has seen him and agrees that he has potential but needs coaching. I am just saying that a new DL coach might be able to work with him better than the DL coach who just got fired.
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,011 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    I agree. It was obvious from the beginning that the injuries were not the whole story, but it's pretty rare to see a team even halfway admit it. I also have my doubts and I think the most likely scenario is that Emery will bring in enough talent that even a monkey (although perhaps not Tucker) can get decent output from it. I think we will become the new Lions in terms of productivity that does not match our talent as far as the defense goes.

I think we will be stuck in mediocrity there. But we'll see I'd like to be wrong. I think most fans who don't think it will work want themselves to be wrong.
  3. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,011 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    Trib also had a poll if the Bears had made the right decision to keep Tucker. I lost track of it, but last time I looked 74% said it was a mistake keeping him.
  4. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,208 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    The poll is irrelevant, because this guy couldn't even get consistent playing time on the worst defense in the 80+ years the Chicago Bears have played football.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Conte and Wright are mediocre at best. Them taking up space on the roster and the coaches being forced to start them is Emery's fault not DB Coach Hoke's fault.

Also, a secondary is only as good as the men up front. Extremely poor DL and LB play made our secondary that much worse.

Jennings had a good year. Tillman was playing solid before he was injured. Bowman did a admirable job stepping in for Tillman too.
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,208 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    How is it Emery's fault, considering the limited resources (cap space and draft picks) were NEEDED on the offense? Yeah, the defense sucked, but credit has to be given to Emery for not extending any defensive players in the previous offseason, as the players clearly proved to not be worthy of it. Major Wright is, in all likelihood gone, and Conte has resigned himself to having to compete for a starting position.
  7. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I agree 100% about the DL. I keep seeing reports that the Bears should draft a Safety or Corner with the #14 pick. That's just ridiculous. A secondary is only as good as the men up front. With as many needs as our defense has, picking a Safety in the 1st round would be like building a house and starting with the roof.

Like a house, you need to start with a solid foundation for your defense. That foundation is the DL.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    '
    Not building defensive depth through the draft or free agency (particularly at Safety) and whiffing on the Hardin pick to start off with. Blaming the cap is a crutch nowadays. There are ways to work around it if you're an astute GM.

Don't get me wrong, I'm behind Emery 100% and I think he's a a very smart and capable GM. But, you can't provide your coaches with water and expect them to turn it into wine.
  9. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +483 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    52ß
    Sorry to quote myself, but after coming back and seeing my post, I noticed my Fire Mel Tucker badge in my signature disappeared. Trestman and/or Emery must have some amazing psychokinetic powers. Or is it Tucker??????? I am afraid to put Fire Mel Tucker back in my signat:14_6_5[1]:
  10. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    So who should they hire as replacements? Would Ed O come for a D line job for a year or two?
  11. DavidL

Ratings:
    +598 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    239ß
    It is the coach's fault when these guys are constantly out of position. They MUST cover the deep sideline zones in a cover-2 defense, and these guys were always slow getting over there as WR got past Jennings and Tillman. You could make up a whole highlight film of that happening all season, ending appropriately with Conte's busted coverage on the TD pass to Cobb that decided the divisional championship. That would never happen during the Lovie-Urlacher era. Unforgivable blunder.:)
  12. DavidL

Ratings:
    +598 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    239ß
    And maybe that's also the coach's fault. If he gets into the regular rotation at DE next year and plays well, that will prove my point. On the other hand, if he makes no progress, then you will be proven right. We'll have a better picture by the end of preseason. Until then, he remains my adopted Bear, but if you're right, I'll throw him out like yesterday's newspaper and adopt a new Bear.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    84ß
    I blame Jerry Angelo. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. mshu7

mshu7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yeah, I can definitely understand that logic ric.
  15. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +990 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    Yes. But Tibesar was a Trestman guy who worked with him in Montreal I believe. IIRC, before that he was a terribly unsuccessful DC at Purdue and was fired after one year. Not a good hire there whatever one thinks of Tucker.
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    I'll agree with that. A secondary can be made to look real good if the guys up front are getting pressure. I'll use the Giants as an example. For years their secondary, and even linebacking core has been weak...but they had guys up front who could get after the qb, which made everyone else look better. This year that wasn't the case and they were exposed a bit.
  17. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    How can you state that that would never happen during the love/urlacher era? How quickly you all forget all the mistakes Daniel Manning made at safety for us!!! Geez!
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,011 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    Here is Rosenblooms endorsement of Tuckers continued employment with the Bears.

Bears actually had people coaching d-line, linebackers?
    January 13, 2014|Steve Rosenbloom | The RosenBlog
      • [​IMG]
      Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Mel Tucker stands on the sidelines late in the fourth quarter at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia. (Chris Sweda / Chicago Tribune)

• Two weeks after Mel Tucker’s defense couldn’t communicate or play till the whistle, Tucker learned he was going to keep his job.

Marc Trestman decided Tucker’s joke of a defense was Tucker’s fault. But the Bears still needed a scapegoat to pay for the historically bad defense. They found two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
      I don’t know Mike Phair or Tim Tibesar, but really, the Bears couldn’t go wrong firing anybody coaching that side of the ball.

It looks like they started up front and quickly moved to the next level, just like your garden-variety running back, and then stopped firing people because they didn’t want to pay more coaches while hiring others to replace them.

You can’t argue with firing the defensive line coach. It all started up front, and Phair’s group never got started. The defensive line made one play all season – Shea McClellin injured Aaron Rodgers – but even that wasn’t enough to get the Bears into the playoffs.

You can’t argue with firing the linebackers coach, either. It would be hard to argue that Tibesar’s bunch had any linebackers who were coached, period.

That’s what it comes down to. Who was coached? Asked another way: Who got better?

Anywhere. Everywhere. Somewhere on that defense.

Ask that of Tucker as well as the fired coaches, and the answer remains almost no player got better.

Almost no one on the defensive line improved, and you couldn’t find a linebacker in the film to even judge.

If there was an All-Pro team for crashing down immediately to lose outside contain, then Phair’s group would’ve swept the defensive end positions. Congratulations, Julius.

If there was a Pro Bowl for overrunning plays, Bears linebackers would’ve needed a group rate for Hawaii.

And so, the Bears could start free agency without a starting defensive line or a set of linebackers, which is perfect for a team without anyone to coach them.

Trestman still looks a little goofy here. He waited two full weeks to determine that Tucker wasn’t the problem, but I guess two weeks actually looks like a quick adjustment for that defenwsive staff.

Trestman's decision comes after Tucker’s defense closed the season with two of the most embarrassing and pathetic performances by a team that needed only mediocre defense to make the playoffs. Thanks for playing our game[​IMG].

“We believe Mel is the right person to lead our defensive unit,’’ Trestman said in a statement. “He fully understands where we need to improve, has the skill set and leadership to oversee the changes that need to be made and to execute our plan to get the results we know are necessary.’’

Wait, you mean Tucker didn’t understand where the Bears needed to improve as running back after running back rushed for more than 100 yards a game?

Where exactly was that skill set to stop opponent after opponent from averaging almost 200 rushing yards a game during the last 10 weeks of the season?

I’ll hang up and listen for yet another offensive line to own Tucker’s defense.
  19. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +990 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    I fully agree. I'll go so far as to say that Emery needs to have a DAMN GOOD REASON to not draft DL in the 1st. Like, if he chooses a player at another position, that dude better be an absolute "can't pass up" type of prospect. The chances of that being truly the case by the #14 are slim (Andrew Luck or Luke Kuechley v2.0??).

Safety and CB are needs for sure but not nearly as impact-full as our desperate need to improve the DL. I'd like to see Emery sign one upgrade in FA (Bennett?) and draft Hageman @ 14.
  20. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +261 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß
    I would love a top CB or S draft pick, but I would love even more if we could snatch Nix or Rashede, I love those guys. A very good thing about our draft this year is that O players are hot in draft and we dont need to (at least first 3 rounds) pick nor qb nor rb nor wr or o-line. At last we have that luxury!
    • Like Like x 1