Mel Tucker Will Return

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Jan 14, 2014.

1. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    377ß
    Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    At least there is acknowledgement that the issue is larger than just injuries. I hope Mel is the guy, but I still have my doubts.

2. matsellah

matsellah Head Coach
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    309ß
    Ratings:
    +2,484 / 8 / -2
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,554ß
    Ratings:
    +812 / 7 / -26
    How the hell did they not also fire the defensive backs coach? Conte alone should be enough to get somebody fire. Maybe they can find a new DL coach to help CornWash with his pass rush techniques.

4. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    920ß
    Ratings:
    +2,772 / 8 / -10
    Dude, you almost had a point there, until your last sentence.

5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,140ß
    Ratings:
    +4,551 / 10 / -8
    a few things that I heard over the past several weeks that I wasn't going to bring up until there was a definitive answer.
    1) Trestman was REALLY high on Tucker and how well he communicated.
    2) Something I didn't know, but during the season the assistants are responsible for the development of players, the coordinators and HC are to buy building a game plan.
    3) A lot of people breaking down the game stated the D play calls were normally correct, the problem was in execution; see #2.
    4) inj's killed the teams chances of truly knowing if the problem was on the lack of talent or on the DC; BUT Emery stated in the presser a few weeks ago HE didn't do a good enough job of building depth; and admitted Shea wasn't a DE and that was also his fault; AND that Bostic probably wasn't a MLB.

Say what you want, but much like Cutler's contract, Tucker was never getting let go. They scapegoated a few assistants, the LB's coach was obviously deserved, but the DL coach had as many reasons as anyone to stay, and they'll give Tucker a shot to rebuild the D from the ground up and run his system; if there isn't marketable improvement then he'll be let go.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    245ß
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -1
    I read that of the 2 assistants that were let go, 1 was a Lovie hire so to be fair and not make it look like it was an all out Lovie blitz they also fired a Trestman hire

7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,140ß
    Ratings:
    +4,551 / 10 / -8
    might have been bob, but the only assistant they kept was a Lovie hire also, so take it all w/a grain of salt

8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,140ß
    Ratings:
    +4,551 / 10 / -8
    Well to be fair, Den and NE also had top ten O's also. So the AFC you had 2 teams that were complete and in the NFC you had 2 that have young(cheap) qb's they are protecting w/strong D's and strong running games.

9. mshu7

mshu7 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    346ß
    Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0

I was on the "Fire Tucker" bandwagon before they fired the two assistants. Now that those guys are gone and I've read a little more about them & the situation, I think it was the right move to get rid of them and give Tucker another shot. As you pointed out, positional coaches are the ones most responsible for player development (or regression, in this situation) and the D-coordinator puts the plan together. From what I've heard, the LB coach was in way over his head. And who knows how good/bad the DL coach really is/was. Plus, the defensive players seem to have Mel's support, except for maybe Briggs & Peppers. That has to mean something, even if it's a small percent of the equation.

Emery/Trestman seem to grasp how badly they need to fix this defense. If I had go guess, based on their track record, they'll bring in some strong guys to coach up the DL & LB's. Add to that healthy players and more talented players (hopefully), the defense might just be average next year (I know that's asking a lot - haha).

Lastly, as far as personnel is concerned, I think DL is the absolute top priority. I know a lot of people want to draft a safety in the first round, but IMO, everything starts in the trenches. Great teams have great lines - offensive or defensive, or both. If I had to draft for this team, I'm going best DL available in round one, and maybe even round 2 - depending on what we do in FA.

• Like Like x 3
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,140ß
    Ratings:
    +4,551 / 10 / -8
    mshu7, for me the draft depends on what is the deepest position. if S only has 1 legit star and the rest are kinda eh, then I think you take Ha-Ha Clinton Dix; but if there are S's that are capable of starting day one in the 2-4th rounds then ya grab a DT/DE in the first 2 rounds. Personally I like Truitt if he's there at DE, and Hageman or Nix if he's not.