Mel Tucker Will Return

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Jan 14, 2014.

1. DavidL

DavidL
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I saw a poll where the question was "Will Cornwash developed into to top-notch pass rusher?" 715 people voted, and 78% said "yes." Our guy Bearstuff has seen him and agrees that he has potential but needs coaching. I am just saying that a new DL coach might be able to work with him better than the DL coach who just got fired.

2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

I agree. It was obvious from the beginning that the injuries were not the whole story, but it's pretty rare to see a team even halfway admit it. I also have my doubts and I think the most likely scenario is that Emery will bring in enough talent that even a monkey (although perhaps not Tucker) can get decent output from it. I think we will become the new Lions in terms of productivity that does not match our talent as far as the defense goes.

I think we will be stuck in mediocrity there. But we'll see I'd like to be wrong. I think most fans who don't think it will work want themselves to be wrong.

3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

Trib also had a poll if the Bears had made the right decision to keep Tucker. I lost track of it, but last time I looked 74% said it was a mistake keeping him.

4. Henry Burris

Henry Burris
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

The poll is irrelevant, because this guy couldn't even get consistent playing time on the worst defense in the 80+ years the Chicago Bears have played football.

• Like Like x 2
  5. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Conte and Wright are mediocre at best. Them taking up space on the roster and the coaches being forced to start them is Emery's fault not DB Coach Hoke's fault.

Also, a secondary is only as good as the men up front. Extremely poor DL and LB play made our secondary that much worse.

Jennings had a good year. Tillman was playing solid before he was injured. Bowman did a admirable job stepping in for Tillman too.

6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

How is it Emery's fault, considering the limited resources (cap space and draft picks) were NEEDED on the offense? Yeah, the defense sucked, but credit has to be given to Emery for not extending any defensive players in the previous offseason, as the players clearly proved to not be worthy of it. Major Wright is, in all likelihood gone, and Conte has resigned himself to having to compete for a starting position.

7. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I agree 100% about the DL. I keep seeing reports that the Bears should draft a Safety or Corner with the #14 pick. That's just ridiculous. A secondary is only as good as the men up front. With as many needs as our defense has, picking a Safety in the 1st round would be like building a house and starting with the roof.

Like a house, you need to start with a solid foundation for your defense. That foundation is the DL.

#27 BelieveInMonsters, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

'
    Not building defensive depth through the draft or free agency (particularly at Safety) and whiffing on the Hardin pick to start off with. Blaming the cap is a crutch nowadays. There are ways to work around it if you're an astute GM.

Don't get me wrong, I'm behind Emery 100% and I think he's a a very smart and capable GM. But, you can't provide your coaches with water and expect them to turn it into wine.

9. shark86x

shark86x
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

Sorry to quote myself, but after coming back and seeing my post, I noticed my Fire Mel Tucker badge in my signature disappeared. Trestman and/or Emery must have some amazing psychokinetic powers. Or is it Tucker??????? I am afraid to put Fire Mel Tucker back in my signat:14_6_5[1]:

10. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

So who should they hire as replacements? Would Ed O come for a D line job for a year or two?