Mel Tucker Will Return

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Jan 14, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    Because we lost like two months of activity, all changes that were made during those two months are also gone.

Added signatures, bannings, registrations Ect.

All lost need to be re-added
  2. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +727 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    354ß
    Yeah, I read the note, was just having some fun with it.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +250 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    If we draft DL (and I hope we do) I'd like to see ND DT Louis Nix or FSU DT Timmy Jernigan in a Bears uniform.
  4. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +929 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    962ß
    This doesn't make much sense. If you're saying "injuries were responsible for the failure of the defense and therefore tucker isn't responsible" then how could any coach be? Why fire those two? But if you think the coaching was at fault then how does tucker not get the boot?

I guess we'll have to trust Emery and Trestman and start focusing on free agency.
  5. gammabears

gammabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think it was a combo of injuries, bad play and some coaching. It was an all out abysmal mess out there.
  6. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +761 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    566ß
    I'm assuming Tucker gets another shot because he was not directly responsible for the development of the young players who replaced the injured players. I assume they expected more development as the season went on out of Bostic, Greene, and some of the guys on the line that they did not get. Tuckers job is to come up with a game plan, not develop individual position groups, thats the position coaches job.
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,944 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,305ß
    While this is true, he was responsible for doing something when it was apparent (could not have been apparent to just the fans and the media) that the players were not developing. Guess not developing them is a fireable event, but a manager standing pat while his people don't develop then is ok. Interest accountability metric...
  8. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +216 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    550ß
    Uhhh ... THE CHICAGO BEARS were ranked almost LAST in DEFENSE.

Let me repeat that : THE CHICAGO BEARS were ranked almost LAST in DEFENSE.

Tucker ... the balls in your court. You get one more try.

IF ... and thats a big IF ... Emery and Trestmann can pull it off in FA and the draft ...

and Tucker knows what to do with them ... then hes a genius.
  9. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +216 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    550ß

If he does not go psycho ... a good fit.
  10. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,944 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,305ß
    You mean Minneapolis?
  11. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    101ß
    LOL sometimes young kids need to be freaked on to get the point across. At my Job I try to be a pal with the co-workers yet be a firm Manager, BUT I find that every once in a while they need to have their noses rubbed into mud to get there work ethic up to speed
  12. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +713 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,009ß
    Manning also made some good plays. These guys were consistently out of position, missing tackles, taking wrong pursuit angles (Conte's specialty) are all things that could --and should -- be addressed by coaching staff in preseason. it went on game-after-game all season.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +761 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    566ß
    Conte and Wright have never made good plays? Me thinks you need to rethink that.
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +761 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    566ß
    What should he have done in season to increase the development of players he doesn't personally coach?
  15. DavidL

Ratings:
    +713 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,009ß
    What play are you thinking of? How about Conte's interception where he was waiting for the receiver to catch the pass so he could TRY to tackle him, but the ball bounces off receiver's hands and into Conte's? That's it. I can't even remember Wright doing right all year. I stand by my comment.

BTW, did you watch Russell Wilson last week? I think he ran around for 100 yards behind the line of scrimmage.
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,781 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    In all honesty, they were both pretty pathetic all season long.
  17. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +761 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    566ß
    Listen, if we're gonna have a conversation you're gonna have to be a little less emotional. If you're talking about the Green Bay game...if you'll remember there was also a receiver in the back of the end zone...conte wasn't waiting, he was playing 2 players. He didn't make some good plays against Detroit? Secondly, if you're going to criticize his tackling understand he was the Bears 3rd leading tackler! Don't you think it's a bit of a problem when you're two safeties are in the top 3 tacklers on the team? Especially considering they were lined up deep much of the season? Listen, I'm not saying either of them are great, but I don't think either of them were the reason the defense was so bad either. That all starts up front for me. Conte showed promise last year...I think with better players up front he's a good safety to have back there.

As for Russell Wilson....do you really want to bring him up after last weeks performance? I wouldn't.
  18. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +761 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    566ß
    I think pathetic is a strong word. Were they great? No, but pathetic? Our front 7 was pathetic if you ask me, and if your front seven is pathetic chances are your secondary is going to suffer mightly. It all goes hand in hand. Some of you seem to think football is played independently as if one players play doesn't depend on how other players play. It just doesn't work that way. Did conte miss more tackle this year than last year? Yeah...but the dude had 73 solo tackles....solo...meaning 1 on 1. Having said that, I'm fine moving on from Wright...he has trouble staying on the field. I'd like to see conte come back and see what he can do next year.
  19. DavidL

Ratings:
    +713 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,009ß
    When your front-7 is as bad as we were against the run, it should be no surprise that safety has the most tackles. I am more impressed by the tackles he and Wright missed. Detroit game? Where were they when Reggie Bush ran about 50 yds. for TD.

I mentioned Russell Wilson since you said Manziel runs around all over the place and his style of play is nothing like Wilson's.
  20. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,944 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,305ß
    Same thing that needs to be done to a production line manager when the people he supervises are messing up production. The manager is not messing up production, his people are. Do you think that means the manager is safe when he does nothing about it?

Management is empowered to make the corrective changes required for things to meet the requirements of the corporation. Not only empowered, but empowered because it is expected of them. A good manager knows what the job entails and has usually come up the ranks. In the example, he has probably been on the line. In Tuckers example, he has been a position coach.

The manager needs to motivate the people that work for him/her to do a better job. Both by encouragement, discipline, additional training or any combination -- depending on both the situation, and how the particular employee responds to each of those.

IMO, Tucker needed to look at the situation and decide what is wrong - why people are not being developed. He should know this if he was a position coach and is DC material. If either of those two is not true, then he was never the right hire. Further, based upon his knowledge and experience (that he supposedly has) he decides whether the coach is at fault or the player, or some combination. He then lays out some achievable criteria for the coach, player or both. Then he holds them accountable. If he feels the coach is at fault, he needs to put time into making sure the coach gets the training he needs to succeed to make the players better. If need be, he has to do some of it himself. Whatever it takes. If it is the player (all 11 apparently) then he needs to use his knowledge and experience to see the deficiencies and help create the regiment that will help the player the most.

The DC is ABSOLUTELY not absolved of any fault because he is not the one doing the individual training. If anything he is EVEN MORE responsible because the people responsible report to him and he could not make it better.
    • Like Like x 5