Mel Tucker Will Return

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Jan 14, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,405 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,586ß
    A rough season by the Chicago Bears defense led to some staff changes. Did the right coaches go?

Our panel weighs in on that and more:

[​IMG]
    Fact or Fiction: The Bears made the correct decision retaining Mel Tucker.

[​IMG]
    Did the Bears make the correct decision retaining Mel Tucker?
    • 50% Yes
      • 50% No
    [​IMG] (Total votes: 909)

Jeff Dickerson: Fact. Tucker deserved at least one more season to turn around the defense after a disastrous 2013. This is not about giving Tucker a free pass for the defense ranking near the bottom of the league in most statistical categories. This is about looking at the facts. Tucker walked into a situation with a defensive system already in place from the Lovie Smith era. That system worked beautifully under Smith the majority of the time because, in large part, Smith had superstars such as Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs, Charles Tillman and Julius Peppers all playing at an extremely high level.

But the Bears decided to let Urlacher and veteran strong side linebacker Nick Roach leave in the 2013 offseason, actions that Tucker had nothing to do with. The loss of Urlacher and Roach hurt the Bears’ defense more than the organization would like you to believe. Peppers’ inconsistent play on the defensive line also hurt the team, as did the lack of development of former first-round pick Shea McClellin, who became a liability versus the run.

Finally, factor in all the injuries: Henry Melton, Nate Collins, Turk McBride, Kelvin Hayden, Tillman, Briggs and the training camp retirement of Sedrick Ellis. NFL teams are skewered by the media and public whenever they blame injuries for substandard results, but you cannot ignore what injuries to key players does to a roster. No, the Bears are not the New England Patriots. New England is a well-oiled winning machine that has three Super Bowl championships and 11 postseason appearances under head coach Bill Belichick. New England can lose Rob Gronkowski, Vince Wilfork, Tommy Kelly, Jerod Mayo and Brandon Spikes to injuries, Wes Welker to free agency and Aaron Hernandez to a murder allegation and not skip a beat. The Bears, who have missed the playoffs six out of the last seven years, are not on that level. So please, don’t compare the Bears’ predicament last year to the Patriots'. Let’s see how Tucker fares with some tweaks to the system and some changes to the personnel on defense before deciding whether he is the right man for the job.

Jon Greenberg: Fact. What does it say if you fire a defensive coordinator after one season, and a season decimated by injuries, at that? It would say that Marc Trestman and Phil Emery are reactionary and needed a scapegoat after the worst defensive season in Bears history. It would be a different story if Tucker was a personal disaster, a clueless, combustible coach who has turned off players. But all signs point to him being a well-intentioned, organized coordinator who was dealt a lousy hand. He never blamed, he never panicked. On the other hand, if a remodeled Bears defense is bad this year and the young players continue to fail at improving, would it have been better to fire Tucker early rather than fire late? That’s a question to consider next season. But the Bears just hope that Tucker has better players to work with next season.

[​IMG]
    Fact or Fiction: Fired assistants Tim Tibesar and Mike Phair were scapegoats to cover up a much deeper coaching problem.

[+] Enlarge[​IMG]
    Brian Kersey/Getty ImagesMike Phair, shown coaching Shea McClellin, won't return as Bears defensive line coach next year.
    Jeff Dickerson: Fiction. I realize that I just defended the Bears' decision to bring back Tucker for at least one more season, but almost every NFL coaching staff undergoes some turnover when either a team fails to qualify for the postseason or one side of the ball simply falls apart, as the Bears defense did in 2013. That is part of the business. The Bears’ front seven on defense was nothing short of a disaster last year. Subsequently, Phair and Tibesar paid the price. However, I do feel bad for Phair. He was genuinely well-liked and respected by most of the players in the locker room, but he was a holdover from Smith’s coaching staff, which probably made the decision to let him go a little easier, although secondary coach Jon Hoke (another former Smith hire) is expected to remain on the staff.

I bet Phair finds another job in the NFL. Perhaps the Bears felt Phair just didn’t have enough juice in the defensive line meeting room to reach the players. But in Phair’s defense, there is only one Rod Marinelli. Seems kind of unfair to expect Phair to coach at Marinelli’s level at this stage of his career. Tibesar was a bad hire. I’m sure Tibesar is a fine collegiate and CFL coach, but he never connected with the Bears’ veteran linebackers. His lack of NFL experience/credibility hurt him almost from Day 1.

Jon Greenberg: Fiction. Certainly, when two assistants are fired and the coordinator stays after a wildly disappointing season, it looks like scapegoating. Injuries to the defensive line and linebacking corps led to the season-long failures on defense, not coaching. But I’d surmise that Trestman saw coaching missteps as well. Playing for D.J. Williams and Briggs, rookie linebackers Jon Bostic and Khaseem Greene didn’t improve enough by the end of the season. The defensive line was shredded early in the season, but even at full strength, the pass rush wasn’t there. It probably didn’t help that Phair was a holdover from the previous regime. I don’t think there’s a deeper coaching problem and it’s fair to say these firings were at least partially deserved.
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,774 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,357ß
    This ^^^^^
    • Like Like x 1
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,405 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,586ß
    ^^^^ This
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,418 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    437ß
    There wasn't much of a pass rush (from the DL anyway) even when the roster was at full strength in the first three games either. FACT

That being said, I'm over the Tucker firing/non-firing thing. No surprise he was retained and the blame was foisted onto some assistants + injuries (for reasons I believe were more political than results-based). He gets another chance and I'm fine with that. It's up to Emery to bring in some new talent and Tucker to show he can mould it. I'm sure none of us want to be having this conversation a year from now.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,405 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,586ß
    It was a top ten def before the inj's hit. FACT.

I'm over it to though, then again I was nver under it either.
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,418 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    437ß
    I don't have the stats in front of me but it didn't look that by the "eye test", Ric. I believe it was 9th in rush yards allowed through 3 weeks IIRC but AP was the only real RB we faced early on. Law Firm and Jonathan Dwyer aren't exactly a real test and we got stomped on pretty good by Dwyer in the 1st half of that Pitt game.

In pass D we got scorched by Dalton/Green and Roeth/Sanders and almost succeeded in making Christian Ponder look like a real quarterback. The DL (at full strength then) got very little pressure on its own...remember the ?s about why Pep and Melton weren't getting sacks or TFLs?

Points allowed? Cincy scored 21, Minny scored 30, and Pitt scored 23. Turnovers/takeaways saved us. Think we had 5 in those 3 games.

Not saying the D didn't get a whole lot worse when the injuries accumulated but we didn't exactly stuff anyone and two of those first 3 opponents aren't exactly the Denver Broncos in terms of offensive power.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,405 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,586ß
    What wa sthat, turnovers and take aways saved us....very Lovie like, if I remember correctly they were 2nd in takeaways during that timeframe also
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +754 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    551ß
    That's not necessarily true. Law firm only rushed for 25 yards, Dalton threw for 280 with 2 td's and 2 int's. AP rushed for an even 100 yards that first game with no td's, and ponder was 16/30 with a td and int. In the Pitt game Dwyer ran 12 times for 39 yards, 21 in the first half....I wouldn't call that stomping. Rothleisberger definetly torched us though.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,418 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    437ß
    We didn't win those 3 games because of defense alone by any means (although it was way better then than it would later become). We won on 3 key 4th Q TD passes (Cutler's "finest hour" IMO) and iced the last one with a big turnover-TD by Peppers which was one of his few shining moments all season long. They weren't 13-10 or 17-14 kind of games by any means.

And let's remember that the injury situation didn't reach critical mass until several weeks later. It's not like we were the only team to ever lose a star DT to injury. New England lost Wilfork and Cincinnati lost Adkins too, both of whom were better players than Melton. They held their D together and made the playoffs as division winners, we didn't.
  10. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    the D was still much better while healthy ;)
  11. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +754 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    551ß
    Oh I don't disagree with you there...we still gave up points...I was just pointing out we were better against the run. Anytime you can hold AP to 100 and no TD's is a win to me. I will say that those were the only two DT's those teams lost....and while they hurt...it's not like they lost 2 or 3 starting DT's like we did at one point and had to start a DE at DT.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +713 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    996ß
    It's mentality. Some QB's will sit patiently in the pocket and calmly go through their progressions. Wilson and Manziel have a different style of play. If a receiver doesn't come open pretty quickly, they run around to buy time. Also, since they are short QB's, they like to roll out to get better vision of the field and have clear passing lanes. Both of them have good speed and agility, so they are a running threat as well. Finally, they are both very good at this style of QB play. My point was that guy's like Tarenton and WIlson have shown that this style can be effective, and I expect Manziel will be the next.
  13. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +754 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    551ß
    And my point is that I think manziel is reckless and won't stay healthy. I think he has the tools to do well...I just don't know he'll last. By the way...Wilson hadn't looked great.
  14. DavidL

Ratings:
    +713 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    996ß
    Wilson hasn't looked great, but good enough to go to the Super Bowl. If Manziel goes to a team with a crap OL, your prediction may come true. He's not built to take a ton of pounding. No guarantees with any QB on that score, however.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,405 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,586ß
    Sea is an exception to the rule, that stadium, w/home field advantage, and that Def changes what a limited qb can do. Manziel will not likely have such a complete team around him, and guarnatee he will not have that kind of home field advantage. He also doesn't have the head/maturity of Wilson. Wilson/Sea are exceptions to the rule, not the rule itself, nor a future rule on the verge of being written. Manziel is as likely to end up RGIII then he is RusWil.
  16. DavidL

Ratings:
    +713 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    996ß
    I'd like to see Manziel go to the Browns. You can laugh, but I think they may be a team on the rise.
  17. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +754 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    551ß
    Remember red grossman was good enough to go to a Super Bowl too. Just sayin...
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,405 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,586ß
    Rex Grossman, much like Wilson rode the coattails of an amazing D and a solid RB to the SB. If it wasn't a complete meltdown by Colin Crapyourbed, RusWill would be sitting at home.
    That being said, I like Rus, I like Colin, both are young guys that in their 2nd year got to the SB, impressive no matter how you handle it. And to be fair for RWill, he doesn't have a stockpile of O talent around him; 1 legit RB a couple decent WR's and a really good TE. He's weep if he had half the O talent on the Bears; and put up 2x's the #'s Cutler did.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. DavidL

Ratings:
    +713 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    996ß
    That is what I was going to say. The 49ers had his receivers covered like a blanket for the first 3 seconds. All his long pass completions were accomplished by running around in the backfield until they got open deep. Is Harvin coming back for the Super Bowl? That would make a difference. I have been saying for some time that the TV media has Kaepernick vastly overrated. He cracks under pressure. That is why I started that poll a few weeks ago: Did the 49ers trade the wrong QB? Alex Smith would have probably won that game yesterday. Wilson and Kaepernick both get to the SB on their defense.
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,418 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    437ß
    Yesterday's game confirmed what I had been suspecting about Kap all season:

He's a great runner and improviser with a powerful arm who's a pretty poor traditional pocket passer. He's capable of throwing great distances but lacks accuracy and touch all too often. And it wasn't purely that he was facing a great D on the road in a tough stadium to visit. He had clunker games with regularity this year.

SF has a great D too (we will see how great it is next year after Bowman went down with a bad ACL/MCL) but Kap's surrounding cast didn't help him out like a QB of his limitations required. Gore and Davis disappeared. Crab was nothing special. Boldin dropped more passes than he caught. Wilson out-passed him with receivers like Tate, Baldwin, and Kearse who are B- wideouts at best.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014