Melton may have tough time getting a good payday per Polian (Injury concerns)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by dabears, Mar 6, 2014.

1. dabears

dabears Veteran

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    Bill Polian thinks due to the lingering doubts about his ACL injury Melton may not get what he is looking for on the market. This could bode well for Emery's patient "Wait & See" style of signing free agents.

Link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...n-melton-free-agency-20140305,0,3576867.story

By Rich Campbell, Tribune reporter
    1:23 p.m. CST, March 5, 2014
    Henry Melton's ongoing recovering from ACL reconstruction surgery is sure to affect his value on the free-agent market. Melton had surgery Oct. 8 to reconstruct the ACL in his left knee, and although he expects to be ready for training camp, teams unfamiliar with his injury, current condition and rehab would understandably seek more information before offering him a substantial contract.
    Former Indianapolis Colts general manager Bill Polian, a current ESPN analyst, Wednesday shared a GM's typical line of thinking regarding pursuing a free agent who is coming off a serious injury.
    "Henry Melton, I think, is a terrific three-technique, albeit undersized, but in the Tampa-2 system you can play with those guys," Polian said in a teleconference. "I don’t know whether Marc (Trestman) and Phil (Emery) and others in the Bears organization think that he fits for them. And it’s always, always, always colored by the injury.
    "The physical exam is critical. Injury history is critical. System fit is critical. Who knows what the doctors will say on the physical exam? But as a general rule you don’t even begin to think about pursuing a player unless the doctors say, ‘Go ahead.’ The trainers do exchange information, so everybody kind of knows the general tenor of what the injury was and what the prognosis is. But everybody that’s interested is obviously going to get their hands on him, and they will figure out what they think the risk is with the injury. That’s the protocol they will follow.
    "Typically, fellas who are coming off of pretty serious injuries, that doesn’t bode well in terms of top dollar in free agency. That said, I think, healthy, he’s a terrific three-technique."
  2. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    39ß
    That's pretty self evident isn't it? If he didn't get injured we either would be close to signing or walking away from him. The injury has meant he'll cost less and also have a disjointed market in FA. Some teams will be bold, others won't risk it. Compare that to Melton coming off a pro bowl where any team that he fixed their scheme would at least have some offer for him.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,793 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,987ß
    Hopefully the market is low enough to where the Bears can sign him to something reasonable and have DT set for this year.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,365 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,359ß
    And hopefully he can stay healthy, have his focus right moving forward, and still play at a high level. He will probably be just fine with all three, but he's had a rough time since the injury, and I'm hoping this isn't an injury plagued player from here on out like some of our solid players have been in the past. There is no reason to believe he can't come back and be just fine, other than the fact we've had a few instances of bad luck in the past with D players. I'm not saying we should move on from him. Not at all. Just holding my breath a bit that we get a good break this time.
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,596 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    645ß
    I'd be very leery if I were Emery, as he seems to be doing. Coming back unproven from an ACL is a major question mark for a player who's game is predicated on having an explosive first step to succeed. Ratliff is re-signed. Collins may be too (and he would be a 1yr/minimum$ type deal). The draft is looking promising for DT. Last thing we need is to locked into multi-year contract with substantial dead money implications for a guy who may never play at 100% of his pre-injury level.

I'd say a "prove it" type contract or let him walk.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    72ß
    Tbh I would like to see us re-sign Melton and Collins and draft HaHa at 14th.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,793 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,987ß
    Or Ealy, or one of the CB's. If DT is resolved it opens up a ton.
  8. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +334 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    179ß
    There is one thing that bothers me regarding Melton, and I hope you guys will understand, i've been in similar situations myself (paycheck was slighty smaller :)) and if I was Melton I would feel an obligation to the Bears as an institution and fans cos he had a huge pay last year and didnt earn !/10 of it. I know, maybe ur gonna say injury was not his fault (maybe he didnt live 100% sportmanlike) or that the Bears would f... him over too if they had the chance but I do believe in responsible economics and he should give a proper, fair discount to us. He should earn last years check. But, hey, that's just me, im super naive
  9. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,088ß
    Thats a nice thought, but if the Bears could have cut him last year and saved some money you can bet that would have happened. In a league where the average career is 3 years and your guaranteed money is limited you get every dollar when you can get it.
  10. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +334 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    179ß
    i know, cant help the way I feel...
    • Like Like x 1
  11. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    This is what I see happening too. When he was healthy in 2012 he was a top 5 DT. My guess is that someone will take the risk and make him a decent long term offer and if that happens I doubt the Bears will try to match it. I think two years is the best they want to commit to with a low base and high incentives. If he hits it out of the park again they can extend his deal and if not he's can be released or traded without any really big dead cap space. After the Tommie Harris thing I'm very leery of giving DTs who depend on their legs being sound for their burst and "get off" long term deals. We did that with Tommie then got stuck for a year or two longer than we should have.

When this draft has two highly rated DTs that represent very little risk if any and they can be signed for four years for around $2.5 mil per year you gotta figure what the Bears want to offer Melton would be in the range of what they did with Ratliff or a bit more. Surely nowhere near what he was looking for before the tagged him. I don't see anyone else doing it either but they may go up to $5mil or so even on a prove it deal like Bennett got from Seattle just to have that option of signing him long term next year. I'm not saying it should work that way but if I'm the Bears, unless I could be sure I could draft Justin Gilbert, I'd give Tillman that $5 mil before I'd give it to Melton.

I can see us having a shot at Jernigan and/or Donald but not Gilbert.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    72ß
    I agree 100% with ya Soul, but I'd be surprised if the Bears will give either one of them $5M for a year.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Just heard some news that the Pack and Raji are close to agreeing on a one year deal reported to be in the $4.5 to $5 mil range. Like Melton Raji turned down a long term deal last year that averaged $8 mil per year then went out and had bad season and screwed himself. If that's his deal it pretty much sets a lid on whatever Melton could look for on something similar. Raji plays NT and Melton 3 tech but their agents will look at those as being somewhat comparable.

So it looks like Bennett's deal last year and Raji's this year have pretty much established the top of the market for one year deals. I'd say Melton can't expect any more than that if even that much due to the injury and neither can Peppers. Things are beginning to sift through now so let's see if Phil makes any more moves tomorrow.
  14. dabears

dabears Veteran

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    I'm torn on which DT would be a safer bet to come back with a decent year. Collins was playing as good as or better than Melton last year before he got hurt. I think ultimately he will look at which of them will benefit the team's needs at the 3T. I tend to go with Collins if we can draft a decent DT in the first round.
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    If Collins rehab is going as well as Melton's I'd probably prefer that. Emery says he want to get younger on defense and in this draft he may have his choice of two DTs who are 5 years younger than Melton, not rehabbing an ACL tear, and he can tie them up for four years for around $10 mil total. My guess is that on a 4 year deal Melton will want more than that in guaranteed money alone plus Collins is far less expensive and a better value because like Ratliff, he can play NT or 3 tech.

Maybe Emery's strategies will become more clear next week after FA begins but right now they seem very murky to me and the thought of him and Tucker making the personnel decisions that will turn that defense around is disturbing. He says they're playing a 4-3 but Trestman says they'll play what's best for the personnel they have and right now they don't have much. So when does this decision get made? July? All I can day is they have their work cut out for them.