Melton Says I Gave Them a Chance..............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 20, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,677 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß
    Melton: Bears were given shot to make offer
    March, 19, 2014
    Mar 19
    7:35
    PM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com

Despite general manager Phil Emery and head coach Marc Trestman expressing a desire to bring back Henry Melton for 2014, the defensive tackle obviously didn’t feel such a vibe.

[​IMG]
    Melton Having signed a deal with the Dallas Cowboys in which he can earn up to $5 million in 2014, Melton was asked Wednesday whether it was difficult to leave the Chicago Bears, where he spent the first five years of his career after the club drafted him in 2009 with a fourth-round pick. Melton didn't seem especially pleased about how the Bears dealt with him in free agency.

“We gave them a chance to make an offer, and they said they would wait to see what the market was and we don’t do business like that,” Melton said. “They dropped out early.”

According to a source familiar with the situation, the Bears never really ever entered the derby because they didn’t make an offer.

Asked about Melton at the start of free agency, Emery said he “pretty much left it with [agent] Jordan [Woy] that [Melton] was gonna go through [the free-agent] process, and when he got through it, and he had a pretty good idea of what his market is, we could talk at that time.”

Upon learning of those remarks, the source said, “If you want to sign someone badly enough, you make offers and don’t wait.”

So that’s where we stand regarding Melton, who will attempt to regain his Pro Bowl form after undergoing left ACL surgery in 2013. The Bears paid Melton $8.45 million last season as the franchise player, and received just three games as a return on the investment.

So Chicago probably made the right move in not overpaying for Melton.

The club will certainly find out in 2014 when it hosts Melton and Dallas at Soldier Field.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,661 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    567ß
    Good for the Bears. Again this is Emery on FA, go and set your market and if you don't like what is there, come back to us. We aren't setting your FA.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,677 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß
    The suggestion Emery made to help determine your market value was a fair one Henry. You're the one coming off an ACL injury and aren't even medically cleared to play yet. I guess you haven't quite figured out that the team has all the leverage in that situation not you. The Bears aren't about to go for a redo of the Tommie Harris deal again. Especially not when a younger cheaper version of you is waiting to be drafted by someone and it could be the Bears. You might have figured that would come into play as well.

So you trucked your ass around to four different teams until you finally got an offer you could accept and it was right where we all knew you wanted to end up anyway. In the words of Gomer Pyle USMC.; "Surprise, surprise, surprise". Glad to see you got your $5 mil deal which is about double what the Bears would have been willing to do. But then again we all know how well Jerry Jones manages his cap so that's not a shocker either.

See you in October when you and Kyle Long have a little wrestling match to see whose better. Somehow I'm not too worried about it.
    • Like Like x 4
  4. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +671 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    I still just feel like this was the right move. I think he WAS good, but he was never "great". Frankly, I thought it was a mistake to put the tag on him LAST year, but with the coaching change and not knowing where we were going to go with an off season that was changing daily, it was the safe move. I also think the Cowboys are playing it smart with the contract they gave him. I would happily wager that he will only get the original $5 Mil from Jerry Jones.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,677 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß
    And I agree on all points. His deal only guarantees him $1.25 mil and his cap hit is just $1.7 mil. The rest he has to earn on a game by game basis so it's ULTBE money that won't count against the 2014 cap. That's how they managed to squeak it in. But if he makes it until next March he automatically gets a 3 year deal worth $24 mil/$9 mil guaranteed and that's what the Bears were probably not willing to guarantee him. I pretty much figured after his injury he wouldn't be willing to take a one year "prove it" deal without some added security.

If he hits all the targets he get $29 mil over 4 years with $10.5 mil guaranteed. Well just like I said we can draft Donald or Jernigan and their cost for the next four years would run around $10.5 mil total. Two younger uninjured DTs for about 1/3 of what Melton wanted? Under those circumstances I'd have let him go too. Jerry Jones knows we pick before he does and if Donald is there he may not get him so Melton is his hedge against that and even if he does get a shot at Donald he can always release Henry and not owe him another cent.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,063 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    Uncle Phil gave him the old "welcome back with open arms" treatment. Poor bugger. Even worse news is that now he has to play for Jerry Jones.

[​IMG]
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,661 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    567ß
    Nah, not so much the "open arms treatment" that was given more to Earl Bennett. This is just standard, your a Bears FA, go find out your worth and then come back to us and let us know what it is and we'll see if we can match or beat it.
  8. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,224 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    486ß
    Hold on wait...The Bears declined to offer Melton a deal, telling him to test the market first, and then they would talk, and you are ok with it. But when they offered a fair deal to Urlacher BEFORE he even hit FA, and Lach declined it, tested the market, and got zero offers, you torched Emery for how he handled it? Am i missing something here?
    • Like Like x 2
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,677 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß