Meriweather: "You've got to end people's careers"

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Jimmors, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,360 / 8 / -0
    Stay classy.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,276 / 3 / -6
    I think what he said was taken out of context. But being him, of course it is going to sound worse.

What I read was that he feels the NFL is forcing him to do something that he feels has a bigger risk of injuring the target. He does not want to go at someone's knees because that could be career ending, so he would rather go high to "protect" a player from a more serious injury.

The problem with his logic though, is while the NFL does not want you going high, they also don't want you to go low. You gotta nail a guy in the breadbasket, hit them in the chest.
  3. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +3,360 / 8 / -0
    And what is the context then for saying "you have to go low, you have to end people's careers, you got to tear people's ACLs?" I cant fathom what possible context there is for that.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. VJ18

VJ18

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    I cant wait till AP goes down with another knee injury, or say another Tom Brady or Manning take down thats career ending. Then the owners will hopefully have enough of Goodells crap and get rid of him once and for all
  5. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,276 / 3 / -6
    Thought I explained that
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,945 / 8 / -2
    "He feels like I need to be kicked out of the league. I feel like people who beat their girlfriends should be kicked out of the league, too. ... You tell me who you'd rather have? Someone who plays aggressive on the field or someone who beat up their girlfriend?"

Deflecting criticism, and resorting to a petty insult, while Marshall's response makes Meriweather look even worse:

"I'm praying for that guy," Marshall said. "He actually reached out to me last week and I told him that I was more concerned about him and his health, because I think a few weeks before our game I saw him lying on the field just out cold. It was a scary situation. I never want to see him or any player laid out like that.

"As far as what he said today: you can only pray for someone with those feelings. So that's all I have to say about that."

Marshall took the high road here, for sure. Meriweather didn't endear himself to anyone in the NFL.

Edit: With the NFL starting to really clamp down on play like this, he's certainly in first place to earn a lifetime ban. Suh has his moments, but with the NFL fining him, literally "to teach him a lesson", his time in the league is circling the drain.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Rogelio

Rogelio

Ratings:
    +78 / 1 / -0
    First off, guys aren't turning into 45-year-old vegetables and offing themselves because their knees got torn up. They are doing so because of issues from concussions, from repeated hits to the head. I dislike Goddell as much as anyone. However, they are right to crack down on hits like these. Meriweather is a piece of shit. He is a bad, dirty player. It's no accident or coincidence that he constantly leaves his feet and smashes people in the helmet. He has done it his whole career. He's dirty, and Marshall is right, he need to be kicked out of the league.

And these concussion issues aren't going away whenever Goddell does. The NFL tried their best to make them "go away" when they hired doctors to make up false evidence and discredit studies which said concussions were a huge problem. The NFL denied and covered up the issue for a decade. Once the evidence got so overwhelming that the NFL couldn't ignore it, they had to act. These acts are about preserving the game. The NFL just paid out nearly one BILLION dollars to former players. If they let guys continue doling out headshots even after we discovered they are killing people, they'll pay out $10 billion next time.

Guys can get ACL surgeries, have knees replaced, and live normal, healthy lives. Brains don't heal like knees do. But most importantly, this scumbag Meriweather fails to notice that there is a GIGANTIC hit area, from mid-thigh to the shoulders. Most other players don't have issues avoiding killshots. If he can't figure out how to hit anyone in a way that doesn't involve concussing them or shredding their knees, he should be out of the league.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 5 / -4
    Why would the owners want to get rid of Goodell? he's done nothing but increase their profits and lower the overall cost of their players. What you don't think head shots are career ending, but knee shots are? Steve Young, Troy Aikmen, and Trent Green might well disagree w/you.

Benj, I don't totally disagree w/you...but he's not articulate enough, nor does he have a clear enough past to allow him to pull off what he said. He comes off sounding like an ass.

Henry, I agree, Marshal handed this very well, near perfect and Merriweather is made to look like a bigger ass.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. billatter

billatter

Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    If the NFL or the CFL wants to get serious about head and neck injuries, they should be looking at the Rugby definition of a dangerous tackle. While it doesn't remove the possibility of concussions, it will lessen the odds. Any hit to the head or neck while tackling or using your body as a projectile, results in a penalty. If those rules were implemented, we could get rid of things like flags for hitting "defenceless" players, bring back kickoff returns, and remove many of the other protective rules that are dumbing down the game. Players will have to learn to tackle rather than just drill the opponent.

The Pro Bowl would be a good place to run a trial of these rules.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,276 / 3 / -6
    Exactly. Because of who he is it is taken out of context. He is not able to speak too clearly about what he is trying to say, but it isn't hard to figure out.

He doesn't want to go for the knees, but with the NFL suspending him for going high, he feels they are telling him to go at the knees, which he feels would end their careers. Hence the "I guess I have to end careers" line.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,532 / 0 / -0
    1. The guy isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    2. The guy is a ***** and proves it every time he opens his mouth.
    3. Brandon Marshall was classy to take the high road here.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,945 / 8 / -2
    THIS is the new Brandon Marshall. Not the type to engage in fights with anyone (although, it would be absolutely forgivable if he decked Meriweather), and just wants to do the right thing. Seeing as Alshon has REALLY benefited from practicing in the offseason, and that he even tried to reach out to Titus Young, dude is an absolute team leader, and needs to be kept around for a good while.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. WearyBear

WearyBear

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Just goes to show you what the priority is in the NFL. This feigned concern about players safety is nothing but PR. Profits is what's really important. It took a law suit to get the NFL to ante up some money for the players that suffered permanent brain damage from playing in the NFL. They (the NFL) can't say they don't have the money. Contrary to the message that the movie Wall Street conveyed, greed doesn't work, never has worked, and never will work. Greed only works for the greedy at the expense of everyone else.
  14. Rogelio

Rogelio

Ratings:
    +78 / 1 / -0
    Yeah, whatever. We should long to have a league that doesn't make money. The players could play for free, out of the goodness of their hearts, the networks would air the games for free, and the owners would charge $3 a ticket - you know, just so they could pay the rent.

I prefer my leagues to always be finacially circling the drain, like the Arena League, USFL, and the NHL. Makes for a better product. "Play every game as if it was your last - because it might literally be your last. We're two years behind on our taxes!"
    • Like Like x 1
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,532 / 0 / -0
    I have to remind myself that this is a business not a charity. Owners want to make money. Players want to make money. TV outlets want to make money. Sports media outlets want to make money. Merchandisers want to make money. Fans just want to have fun watching their favorite team and players play football.

It's a money driven sport and has been since the NFL was founded & Papa Bear bought the team for $100 from the Staley Starch Company in 1920.

If Goodell doesn't do what he can to limit head injuries (as best you can in a violent sport like this) then the goose that lays the golden eggs will die. Everyone loses if that happens, including the fans. I have no problem with the rule changes, considering that it's a "work in progress" and will evolve (get better) as time goes on. This is what has to happen if we want to preserve the sport we love to watch.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 5 / -4
    Just saw a study that showed that none of the "safer" helmets are doing anything to curb concussions. It appears that Billatter might have the best point, which goes back to something Butkus said a few years ago and got laughed at, go back to leather helmets, take off the armor, and you'll see these guys stop using their body like it's protected.

That or the NFL needs to drop a TON of money into R&D to completely redesign the helmet, starting from the ground up and see if they can create something that can actually absorb and redistribute the energy of the blows before the energy actually gets to the head itself.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. WearyBear

WearyBear

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    That's not what I said. What about the player whose career is ended because of a dirty player like merriweather? What about his ability to make a living? And what does the NFL do? Two game suspension. Then merriweather appeals and it's reduced to one game. I'm all for making money. I like money. I just don't agree with the NFLs hypocritical policy. Merriweather has a history of this type of behavior and he should have been suspended for the rest of the year. As far as the USFL goes, do you know who is basically responsible for putting an end to that league? None other than Mr. Donald Trump. Every other owner in that league put the blame squarely on Trump's shoulders. It was his greed and impatience that ended that league. A lot of USFL players moved on to the NFL and had successful careers. I believe the Philedelphia franchise were champs 2 out of the 3 years of that leagues existence. They were the only franchise that stuck to the spending guidlines established in the beginning. There is a documentary about that league. Frontline also has a documentary called "League of Denial" which pretty much exposes how the NFL deliberately discredited one doctor who pretty much proved that repeated blows to the head caused brain damage. That is until a second doctor had the same findings. Finally, I don't think any NFL owners are having any problems paying the rent. Have a great day.
  18. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 5 / -4
    It wasn't the NFL that reduced his suspension to 1 game, it was an independant arbitrator that did that, and the NFL had no say in the matter. Actually many think they knew the penalty would be reduced and purposefully upped it to make sure Merriweather got at least 1 game.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. WearyBear

WearyBear

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I for one do not think that one game is enough. This guy has a history for being a cheapshot artist. Bellichick got rid of him for that and so did the Bears.
  20. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +3,360 / 8 / -0
    They don't need to drop a "ton" of money, since there already are things like this that exist: