Michael C. Wright's take on the Santonio signing

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Aug 16, 2014.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost
    Expand Collapse

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bea...lmes-latest-twist-in-bears-search-for-no-3-wr

They’ll say signing Santonio Holmes was all about adding competition to the mix, and that will be true.

The Chicago Bears also might be concerned the abilities of the candidates vying forMarquess Wilson's No. 3 receiver spot lack what the club is looking for at the position.

When Wilson fractured his collarbone diving for a pass at camp, it appeared Chicago’s roster contained several suitable prospects as potential replacements. Surely, between players such as Eric Weems, Josh Morgan, Chris Williams, Armanti Edwards and Micheal Spurlock, along with newcomers Greg Herd and Dale Moss, the Bears could find a receiver capable of getting the job done until Wilson returns. They still might be able to pull from this group, with the exception of Weems, who was released once the Holmes news became official.

[​IMG]
    Holmes
    Let’s take a look at how they’ve played through the first two games of the preseason.

Of the group, just Morgan and Spurlock caught more than three passes over the first two games as both have five receptions. After Josh Bellamy (three receptions), none of Wilson’s potential replacements collected more than two receptions. Williams (two receptions) receives a pass since he suffered a hamstring injury catching a 73-yard pass against the Philadelphia Eagles in the exhibition opener and sat out of Thursday night’s game, while Weems didn't record a single reception in two exhibition outings.

So while the group has shown some production, catching a combined 18 of the 32 passes thrown its way for 301 yards and two touchdowns, the team needs to find about half that output over two games from one player. Wilson showed that capability, and perhaps some of the other candidates possess it, too, but haven’t received ample opportunity due to the Bears shuffling so many players in and out of the lineup to glean a clean evaluation.

Holmes, 30, caught 23 passes for 456 yards and a touchdown in 11 games last season for the New York Jets. He played in four games in 2012 before suffering a lisfranc injury.

Holmes put together his most productive season with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2009, registering a career-high 79 receptions for 1,248 yards, in addition to receiving MVP honors at Super Bowl XLIII.

Holmes doesn’t need to be all that in Chicago; just a suitable and consistent complement in the slot, which at this point appears more difficult to find with Wilson out of the picture.
    [​IMG]

Michael C. Wright

ESPN Chicago Bears reporter
    • Joined ESPN in 2010
    • Previously covered Jaguars and Redskins
    • Played college football at We

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

This was simply the best guy they could find after they came to their senses and let Weems go. Not sure how much he has left to contribute, but I certainly applaud the desire to try and get better. If he has something to contribute, great. If not, then I'm glad Emery is continuing to look. I don't see any downsides to this at all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member SuperFan

Yeah, he was terrible!

4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

I love how Emery is always trying to make the roster stronger. He never lets up. This signing throws another guy into the hopper to evaluate for that #3 WR spot. I love having the competition. The WR who wins this battle should be decent. I see no downside to that. And I don't believe Santonio is a lock to automatically be the #3. He'll have to earn it. I like that too.

• Like Like x 3
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

Holmes brings good insurance and hopefully a battle for the #3 spot. Morgan, Holmes, and M Wilson should have a good battle. If Holmes can play like he did in Pittsburgh I think he will win the job eventually but has a lot of playbook to learn in a short period of time.
    Although Wilson is injured and unproven, I think this may be the bigger battle down the road. Nonetheless, we appear to be a better team with Holmes over Weems.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member SuperFan

I think it will be tough to really gauge who the #3 guy will be.

With big targets like Bennett, Marshall and Jeffries, that should leave the slot WIDE open. Surely a defense would focus on either of the three.

So in a game I think it will be hard to tell who has talent above the other. Any slot should be wide open. Obviously someone who sucks will be weeded out, but with our depth, it will be tough.

I think Holmes has the track record, and talent to beat out the rest for sure. He just needs to stay healthy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chicago_66

Chicago_66
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

If he can put up almost 500 in 11 games with the Jets (while hurting) then I'm confident he should be just fine for us.

8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

The disrespectful crap he pulled on Sanchez will not be an issue here. He was strongly disliked for the childish manner in which he presented himself during meetings, particularly ones set up by Sanchez. If that were to happen here, I see him MAYBE lasting half a season. With that said, dude has gas left in the tank and would make for a hell of a slot guy. I doubt anyone in our division has a nickelback that will keep up

9. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost
    Expand Collapse

Good point as always, Henry Pennington.

10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

Two QB's in one! You can't lose! oh wait... Burris and Chad... well, maybe we still could lose...