Michael C. Wright's take on the Santonio signing

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Aug 16, 2014.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bea...lmes-latest-twist-in-bears-search-for-no-3-wr

They’ll say signing Santonio Holmes was all about adding competition to the mix, and that will be true.

The Chicago Bears also might be concerned the abilities of the candidates vying forMarquess Wilson's No. 3 receiver spot lack what the club is looking for at the position.

When Wilson fractured his collarbone diving for a pass at camp, it appeared Chicago’s roster contained several suitable prospects as potential replacements. Surely, between players such as Eric Weems, Josh Morgan, Chris Williams, Armanti Edwards and Micheal Spurlock, along with newcomers Greg Herd and Dale Moss, the Bears could find a receiver capable of getting the job done until Wilson returns. They still might be able to pull from this group, with the exception of Weems, who was released once the Holmes news became official.

[​IMG]
    Holmes
    Let’s take a look at how they’ve played through the first two games of the preseason.

Of the group, just Morgan and Spurlock caught more than three passes over the first two games as both have five receptions. After Josh Bellamy (three receptions), none of Wilson’s potential replacements collected more than two receptions. Williams (two receptions) receives a pass since he suffered a hamstring injury catching a 73-yard pass against the Philadelphia Eagles in the exhibition opener and sat out of Thursday night’s game, while Weems didn't record a single reception in two exhibition outings.

So while the group has shown some production, catching a combined 18 of the 32 passes thrown its way for 301 yards and two touchdowns, the team needs to find about half that output over two games from one player. Wilson showed that capability, and perhaps some of the other candidates possess it, too, but haven’t received ample opportunity due to the Bears shuffling so many players in and out of the lineup to glean a clean evaluation.

Holmes, 30, caught 23 passes for 456 yards and a touchdown in 11 games last season for the New York Jets. He played in four games in 2012 before suffering a lisfranc injury.

Holmes put together his most productive season with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2009, registering a career-high 79 receptions for 1,248 yards, in addition to receiving MVP honors at Super Bowl XLIII.

Holmes doesn’t need to be all that in Chicago; just a suitable and consistent complement in the slot, which at this point appears more difficult to find with Wilson out of the picture.
    [​IMG]

Michael C. Wright

ESPN Chicago Bears reporter
    • Joined ESPN in 2010
    • Previously covered Jaguars and Redskins
    • Played college football at We
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,164ß
    This was simply the best guy they could find after they came to their senses and let Weems go. Not sure how much he has left to contribute, but I certainly applaud the desire to try and get better. If he has something to contribute, great. If not, then I'm glad Emery is continuing to look. I don't see any downsides to this at all.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß
    Yeah, he was terrible!
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,634 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,123ß
    I love how Emery is always trying to make the roster stronger. He never lets up. This signing throws another guy into the hopper to evaluate for that #3 WR spot. I love having the competition. The WR who wins this battle should be decent. I see no downside to that. And I don't believe Santonio is a lock to automatically be the #3. He'll have to earn it. I like that too.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    865ß
    Holmes brings good insurance and hopefully a battle for the #3 spot. Morgan, Holmes, and M Wilson should have a good battle. If Holmes can play like he did in Pittsburgh I think he will win the job eventually but has a lot of playbook to learn in a short period of time.
    Although Wilson is injured and unproven, I think this may be the bigger battle down the road. Nonetheless, we appear to be a better team with Holmes over Weems.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß
    I think it will be tough to really gauge who the #3 guy will be.

With big targets like Bennett, Marshall and Jeffries, that should leave the slot WIDE open. Surely a defense would focus on either of the three.

So in a game I think it will be hard to tell who has talent above the other. Any slot should be wide open. Obviously someone who sucks will be weeded out, but with our depth, it will be tough.

I think Holmes has the track record, and talent to beat out the rest for sure. He just needs to stay healthy.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +399 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    93ß
    If he can put up almost 500 in 11 games with the Jets (while hurting) then I'm confident he should be just fine for us.
  8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,532 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    528ß
    The disrespectful crap he pulled on Sanchez will not be an issue here. He was strongly disliked for the childish manner in which he presented himself during meetings, particularly ones set up by Sanchez. If that were to happen here, I see him MAYBE lasting half a season. With that said, dude has gas left in the tank and would make for a hell of a slot guy. I doubt anyone in our division has a nickelback that will keep up
  9. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    Good point as always, Henry Pennington.
  10. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,164ß
    Two QB's in one! You can't lose! oh wait... Burris and Chad... well, maybe we still could lose...
  11. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

This was my thought when I head we'd signed him. We aren't depending on him to be a #1 or even a #2 WR. We can use him in th slot or a flanker depending on the formation an if he gives us two or three catches a game we're good.

He's experienced, he's smart and knows how to get open, and he has great hands. Right now he's a smaller version of Earl Bennett and he can help for now until Wilson returns which probably won't be until around the first part of October or so.

I was just as thrilled to see us finally dump Weems as I was with this signing just knowing the two went hand in hand.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. dabears70

dabears70 Veteran

Ratings:
    +61 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    72ß
    That's alright if he only lasts half the season cause M.Wilson should be back by then. I think we'll get the good Santonio cause he knows that he's playing this year for any chance at a contract for the following season.
  13. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    Good point. Players who are fighting for their career tend to be team players. He will be on his best behavior so he can, at least, catch on with another club next year or get a extension from the Bears.
  14. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,164ß
    The way I look at this is there is no losing. I did not feel that Weems was better than the WRs we have competing with him, so losing him does not affect of in any negative way. Holmes either has something or he doesn't. If he does and it is better than the others, we win. If he doesn't, then we cut him and have another spot to try out or one less to cut when we need to cut. Either way, I don't see a downside.
  15. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +678 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    386ß
    Emery just gave us another nothing to lose and everything to gain situation. Thanks dad, can you do it again?
  16. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +327 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    I thought Wilson was put on season-ending IR ?
  17. dabears70

dabears70 Veteran

Ratings:
    +61 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    72ß
    I don't think they would do that cause it's a 6/8 week injury so why end his season when we need him when he's healthy??
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,297 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    349ß
    As Wright hinted at, the team wasted way too many PS reps on the farcical "Weems experiment". Thank god they came to their senses--Weems sucks as a receiver and he's not much better at a returner either--much quicker than the previous regime did with the vaunted "Hester Package". It was obvious to me that Morgan was clearly the best #3 option left. That may change if Holmes can get his shit together mentally and physically in the next two games.

I agree that Marquess' return should be late September to early October (~ 8 weeks total) so we just need to hold down the fort for a little while. All we need our slot guy to do is get 3-4 catches per game ie, enough to keep the D honest when they load up on coverage vs Marsh and Jeff. Between Morgan and Holmes we have two guys who can do 400-500 yards/yr. Morgan did it two seasons ago when his RG3 was healthy and Holmes did that last year in only 11 games on a horrible passing team with a struggling rookie QB.

I'm less concerned about receiving yards than I am about ST contributions from our depth WRs. Hixon was our crossover WR/return man who was destined to compliment Williams but he's gone for good. With Weems flopping miserably and Spurlock looking shaky, we need a 2nd returner somewhere and soon. DeCam better figure some shit out quickly here (give a RB NOT NAMED 'FORD' some reps?)
  19. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,297 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    349ß
    As odd as it sounds, a clavicle fracture is far less serious recovery-wise that something like an ACL, Achilles, or Bicep tear. Bones are better than ligaments or tendons. I think Colston came back from his in only 4 weeks but 6-8 is more typical. Wilson is young so that's in his favor for healing time. I would guess he's back in early October even being cautious.
  20. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,164ß
    This is different than the Hester package. The Hester package stemmed from the Tice brain trust and was a full fledged offensive juggernaut, that was only shelved because of intervention from the department of defense which would not allow Tice to unleash it on the general population for fear of extensive collateral damage.

(and yes, for some reason I did use the words Tice and brain in the same sentence)
    • Like Like x 1