Michael Ford Gaining Respect as #3 RB...........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 25, 2013.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Bears rookie RB Michael Ford gaining fan base among mates
    BY MARK POTASH Staff Reporter August 24, 2013 9:04PM

Updated: August 25, 2013 2:39AM

Rookie running back Michael Ford is gaining fans every time he plays — especially on his own team.

‘‘I love watching Michael Ford run the football,’’ safety Chris Conte said. ‘‘He’s a great runner. He’s strong. He’s fast. I enjoy watching him play, and I think he definitely deserves a spot on the team. I’m excited to see him continue to develop as a player and hopefully it’s with the Bears.’’

Ford, who had a 100-yard kickoff return against the Chargers last week, sparkled again Friday night in the Bears’ 34-26 victory over the Raiders in their third preseason game. The undrafted rookie from LSU gained 58 yards on nine carries, including a spinning, darting 15-yard touchdown that gave the Bears breathing room at 34-20 after the Raiders had closed a 27-0 deficit to 27-20. Ford also had two receptions for 16 yards.

Ford appears to have leapfrogged the injured Armando Allen in the battle for the third running back spot and certainly solidified his hold with another strong performance.
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    It hard to figure this kid could do anymore to win a spot on the final 53 man roster than he has. He proven he's a triple threat guy running, catching and returning and although I haven't watched as carefully I think he's made some plays in kick coverage too and that makes him an almost automatic keeper.

What I like about him is that he's more of a mini Michael Bush than a mini Matt Forte (you don't find many of his type around as backups) or another Armando Allen. It's a tough break for him but when a guy goes down someone else needs to step up and Ford has in all respects. Like Bush, he's more of a North/South runner who has a little shake and bake to him and also has enough speed to get to the edge on a run or break a return for big yardage. He's no sprinter but for a stocky RB he's got some decent wheels and that spin move he put on those two Raiders at the goal line was pretty nifty.

I think he's a better choice for a #3 than Allen because I don't Allen has the size to carry the ball 20 times a game if needed whereas I think Ford does. After Friday night I think he earned his jersey for the year.
  3. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    I agree with ya 100% Soul. He's tough to tackle, can run you over, make you miss or out run ya. Good return guy if Hester goes down. I'm going to be watching his blocking next game to see where he is with picking up the blitz but I think he's earned the 3rd RB spot, no question.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    I've talked him up since we signed him, I'm just glad he's gotten a legit shot after the unforeseen injury to Allen. The one thing I said not to forget about him before camp was his return skills, and those were just the icing on the cake. Quick feet make him shifty in a pile, excellent burst has him burning first pursuers and he's hitting guys with power at all levels. He may lack the final, homerun gear, but he's like a drag car getting to his top speed in a couple steps.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    160ß
    i think he is in. he just need not to screw in up vs browns
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    You know watching him he's not a pretty runner. He's not a study in gracefulness or flow but he's got a quickness to him where he's like Bush. He can make a guy miss in the hole with that sudden shift which is something Bush has too but Forte always seemed to lack. Forte is a cutback guy with longer strides who needs space to do his thing.

I saw that burst you're talking about not only on the TD run but on that run he took around LE. At first glance I thought there's no way he gets the corner and then all of sudden he just accelerates and boom, he's in the open. He's geared for acceleration and low end torque not top end speed and to me that's what's gonna make him a very productive runner.

Kind of a Frank Gore type maybe?
  7. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I too think that he's in but he needs to have another good game against the Browns.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    The biggest reason he should stick is his play on ST. I'm pretty sure he has shown enough to be one of the 53.
  9. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
    I thot FORD was the #1 the way he ran ... hes a keeper with great swing moves.
    Good spinaround.
    Where the hell did we find him ?
  10. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,002 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,151ß
    Cut Hester and let Ford be our primary KR.
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

No way. He's not even close to being a Hester and besides it's the PR where Hester is most dangerous. Too many kickoffs end up 8 and 9 yards deep in the end zone or out of it completely. Hester is gonna break the record this year. I feel it. :D
    • Like Like x 3
  12. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    Soul, I have a feeling he's going to destroy it. He looks fast & focused. I think the only way he doesn't is if everyone kicks away from him. Even then every 3-4 games someone will make a mistake & Hester & co will make the pay!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The blocking has to hold up though.
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Listening to John "Moon" Mullin talk about the Bears practice today and Armando Allen has returned from his "hammy" pull. Other than watching to see which of our latest QB additions looks best I think the battle to watch will be between Ford and Allen. Those two will get almost all of the carries so we'll see who comes out on top there and on STeams.
  15. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Big Ford fan for all the reasons stated above. Hope he sticks...