Mid April Mock

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Apr 17, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,120ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Grizz, but sacking and collapsing the pocket are 2 seperate things, And Jones can get sacks and get pressure multiple scouting reports say his stats don't show how much qb pressure he can give a team. And it's not like Pat Williams was a sack machine, He never had more then 3 sacks in any given year, and that was his rookie yar. Kevin was a beast early, but most of his career was 4-6 sacks. It's not like they were dominating qb killers.

2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    If they are explosive good one gap players then I have no problem with them. I don't have much knowledge on Jones, but there are two different positions in a 4-3. If we had Melton still but were looking for a 2 tech then a guy like Jones would be more appealing. We are looking for a 3, and from that we need explosiveness and ability to press the pocket and then bring the qb down if he tries to step up or is squeezed from the edge. That requires a degree of quickness and abilities to defeat the block. We do not need a plug like Nix or Raji who takes up space and uses the big body to command double teams and stuff/stall combo blocks. I don't know much about Jones, maybe he can do that but at a glance I see a NT not a 3. Some NTs types can provide that explosiveness to get the pressure and finish the sack when need be, and if thats the case more power to them. I see a guy like Hageman being able to make that jump, but not a guy like Nix. Not sure where Jones falls into that category, ive never seen him play.

3. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,120ß
    Depends on what the team considers a need, what if they see Ratliff Collins and Houston as the classic 3 tech; again I go back to last year when the team felt Collins was every bit the quality that Melton was. This is what I've been tlaking about, we don't know what they are looking t o do so it's all waxing philisophical. As fans we just don't know what the team is planning so there is no way that any of us can be right other then through astronomical chances.
    They might well be looking for a classic 3 tech ,if that's the case I want them t o grab Donald or Anthony Johnson. IF they are looking for a "versatile" guy that can do a little of both NT and DT w/the ability to collapse the pocket, even if it's not a qb sack then a guy like Nix or Jones or Hagemen.
    It all depends on what they are looking for, Kevin Williams was 311 and got as many sacks as Melton ever did, so just cannot look at weight, and say hey he's to big to rush the passer, having dynamic DE's keeping the qb inside will help the DT's just as much as the DT's collapsing the pocket help the DE's.
    It's all a matter of taking the information(which could be clearly false) and running with it and just knowing that it's all pointless fun guestimation anyways.

man I really don't like the draft so far off .

4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    Me neither, don't understand why it got moved back. Gives the players less time with the team and vice versa.

5. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,120ß
    yep and really creates an uncomfortable gap, last few years you had end of season, few weeks for talking about end of season, some room for the NCAA and then boom FA, then a few weeks to let FA shed out and Boom draft, and talk was on about the draft and when that died down it was time for volunteer OTA's and team practices. It had a nice flow to it.

6. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß

Yep, and as much as I feel that we can have pretty meaningful insight and inferences relating to the draft it gets to a point (now) where its about all dried up. We suck up every bit of information and try to run with it for miles when in reality its a foot long. This gap sucks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,120ß
    Yep at some point you've looked at every position worth a damn that is a potential and now it's just a matter of who screwed up(ie in the news for all the wrong reasons). Which might not have happened if they had been drafted and was busy getting to know their employers

8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,223ß
    Good mock Ric, I follow your logic and it works. Personally I would get a MLB before Smallwood as I do not see much in him, If going later Preston Brown would prob be a guy to look at. I am still hung up on CB or DT in rd 2, ideally Robey will fall and make it a no brainer otherwise I like DT before CB. ( like I said, matter of choice but I like DT before CB) Depends who is on the board and how they rate them.

9. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,120ß
    This year all i'm looking for in ILB is someone to backup, and most say that while Smallwoods ceiling is low, he COULD start if necessary b/c his football IQ will carry him. Next year sadly I'd be looking for a ILB to start longterm either via FA or the draft b/c like you point out he's not a longter future starter; but you don't get those in the mid rounds.

I could have easily gone DT in the 2nd, and thought about it, Ego and Hageman are both likely there for the taking and could fit the bill, but I'm not sure you can find a starting CB next year in rounds 3 and 4. Robey SJB, McGill, Ego, Hagemen are all great options in the 2nd more then any S you'll find there(imo). Draft is funny that way though, and it's possible the team still undervalues S enough to go DT CB rounds 1 and 2 and S/LB 3 and 4. Sadly even 3rd or 4th round S is going to outperform what we had last year. Skov seems to be falling, but I heard he might be rising again, so I didn't want to grab him in the 4th b/c he might not make it there. I really don't like the ILB's in this draft, but the position is so weak you have to take one.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,932ß
    I've been following the discussion between Grizz and Ric. I agree with elements of both sides. I do think that it would make things more complicated and I also think that in some ways, that is what Trestman wants. I think he wants the ability to be able to confuse the offense at will. It has been said several times that he is very good at looking at the game from an offense and QB perspective and if he says that the ability to mix up the defense with both 3-4 and 4-3 looks is something he would like to do, then I think it has value and probably will throw a monkey wrench into most offenses.

At the same time, we couldn't find a way to have our guys in the right place for just the 4-3, so adding some 3-4 would be a challenge. I'm just thinking how I would handle this. I don't buy that you have to sacrifice one for the other. I think you can make it work with both, but I don;t think we are at that point yet. To make a it work you need a NT that can play both types of a D with no drop off. Can clog the center, push it and still be fast enough at least for a short distance to go after the QB. Nix may or may not be that guy and maybe there isn't one in this draft. They don't fall off of trees.

So I would get a guy that can do both and then mix it up more as the players got good at their base defense. It can be done and I think Trestman said he would like it to happen.