Mid April Mock

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Apr 17, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,584 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    MP, While I agree w/the sentament, SF won't be calling at the start of the Bears Pick, like I said before they'll be calling after someone drops and it will probably start before 14, and probably will go after 14, they'll call all the teams to get their best deal; it's never going to be 1 on 1, SF will pit multiple teams against eachother to get the best deal.

It's not just about getting extra picks, it's about how the draft develops, this draft is EXTREMELY deep but VERY soft after the top 8 or so this idea that Dix/Pryor/Donald or anyone else are "elite" is false, they are REALLY good, but non are elite, The last elite players taken will be the the likes of Barr or Watkins(around 7-8th).

But you can get playmakers in the 2nd and 3rd rounds this year, and you aren't getting elite talent even w/the 10th pick(again unless someone drops). That's why it makes since to drop back, but doesn't make since for teams to want to trade up.
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    504ß
    If that's the way it pans out, then I have no interest in getting into an "extra pick bidding war" if I'm Phil Emery. Let other GMs sell themselves to SF for a measly extra 3rd and 5th or whatever. We pick at 14 the highest we have been in quite a while and the highest we are going to be in a while, barring disaster. Let's just take our guy, whoever that is, and nail down one defensive cornerstone. Actually, we are really lucky to be picking even that high. There's a bunch of other 8-8 teams picking behind us.

Tell ya what I would seriously consider. If this draft is considered "even and strong in the middle", then I would field offers for 51. It's worth 2 3rds or a late-2nd + a 4th.
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,584 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    MP I've sample mocked that 51 or the 3rd for multiple 3rd or 4ths.
    It's not how it "pans out" that how any team is going to do it, if they want to move up they'll start calling the teams for the guy that is falling and see who will give theme the best deal to move up. Why deal w/1; when we were looking at cars last year we told everyone we talked to we were going to get the best deal from anyone from Houston to Dallas and we walked away from more then a few, and I honestly laughed at 1 guys face, until we got what we wanted at the price we wanted; more then a few were willing to drop their prices.
  4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Your less likely to get a longterm starter in the mid rounds but its nowhere near impossible. We (and me only being 23 more so the older fans on here) have been blessed with a rich history of HoF MLBs. While I would love to find another, they don't just grow on trees. Our next guy may very well not live up to the names before him, but there is no shame in being an above average to good 8 year starter in the middle. If we get a shot at that next great MLB then great, but with (hopefully) not drafting in the top 20 very often in the near future we may have to find a less coveted guy, a "sleeper" if you will to develop into our next long term starter.
  5. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    I think if we see any 4 LB sets this year on defense it won't be a traditional 3-4 that most of us think of. It will probably be a 1 gap tilt or stagger look, and probably exclusively a 3rd and long look to get creative with blitzes if we are still struggling to get pressure with the front 4 we are using as a base

What I mean by this is we probably have a 2, 5 on one side and a 3 on the other with a stand up wide 7 or 9 (shea) on the 3 side. Other 3 open gaps are filled with our 2 ILBs and Briggs. That way our scheme doesn't change. We don't need a 0 tech. Were not bouncing between 1 and 2 gap that completely 100% changes how you box players play. Different reads, Different Keys, Different reactions. This look in passing downs gives Shea the most advantageous position for him to rush but carries the threat of a different blitz.

IMO its all a moot point if we are able to get pressure with our front 4 from our base look. If we get a quality 3 we have no need for this. Any 3 man front look will probably be an attempt to weaponize Shea in rushing the qb, esp if hes struggling in pass coverage.
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,584 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    Not just our history, history in general says that ILB's, top 10 ilb's are rarely if ever found oustide the mid 1st round or higher. If they cannot get the starting MLB this year w/the 14th pick, the best you can hope for is a guy that can come in and do spot duty until next year.
  7. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    That's all we need for this year. A guy who hopefully doesn't have to play.

If there were great prospects such as Kuchley was then I would be on board. Problem is, there isn't. The best 4-3 MLB prospect is probably Borland and hes a 2nd-3rd round guy. Its a weak Mike class this year esp at the top. Mosley is a 3-4 ILB or a Will, hes only being portrayed as a potential Mike because there is nobody else there. Next year's class will likely be stronger and we can probably get a better fit at better value there. And that if it's even still a need, we have 2 rookies and a first year LB this year. Who knows how they will turn out or if one will surprise us this year.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,584 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    Grizz, your expectations for our LB's couldn't not be more different then mine. I'm hopeful, but I'm hopeful I'll win the lottery also; and I think that's about as much of a shot as 2 of these 3 young lb's working out for the Bears.
  9. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Lol Ric, I think thats the root of our disagreement with our LBs and the draft priority of LBs in general. I will take 3 solid LBs who can do their job well. I'm frankly not expecting another Iron Mike, Butkus, Urlacher any time soon. Those players are just extremely rare and do not come around very often to the league, let alone a team. I'll take 3 guys who are not going to be household names, but can do their jobs well. I think the chances of having 2 of those guys on the roster now are not bad.
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,584 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    I don't expect HoF, but don't want the team to ever settle for "just guys". They settled for "just guys" at S, and even w/2 pro bowlers at lb in front of them and 2 probowlers at the DL in front of them and 2 pro bowl CB's in front of them they still looked like "just guys", take those pro bowlers away from them and they looked like they shouldn't be in the league.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    504ß
    Mosley has scheme, size, and injury question marks as far as being a Bears MLB goes. And he is pretty much the only ILB who's a surefire 1st rounder. PASS

Let's have realistic expectations here. Although Alonso was a 2nd rounder last draft, it's pretty unlikely we are going to get anything more than a filler/depth guy next month (I'm figuring LB is a 3rd-5th round priority).
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,584 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    MP sadly last year was the year to get your MLB and the team went w/G instead, it's working out at the G, but MLB will again have to wait a year b/c Shea and Bostic are both OLB's. Just hope the team can find it's starting CB and S next year so that they can get the best MLB possible.
  13. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    That's how I have felt and will continue to feel. Mosley would one of the rare guys that have been thrown out there that I would have reserves about.