Miller: Bears Will Win NFC North

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Sep 10, 2013.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,701 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    468ß
    September 10, 2013 9:39 AM

(CBS)
    After Week 1, the Bears are 1-0 and in a tie for first place in the NFC North.

Big deal, right?

Well, the team’s 24-21 win over the Bengals on Sunday provided enough information for former Bears quarterback Jim Miller to make a bold statement.

“The Bears have the best defense[​IMG] in the NFC North,” he told CSN Chicago. “With any sort of offensive accountability, the Bears would have won the NFC North the past two seasons, let alone three. I’m sticking with my pick… the Bears win the NFC North.”

Miller also had this to say about the Bengals: ”(The Bengals) are legitimate, and will probably win the AFC North[​IMG] in my opinion. Very good first test for the Bears, they protected Jay Cutler, kept him clean with no sacks.”

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/09/10/miller-bears-will-win-nfc-north/
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,694 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,165ß
    There's nothing he's saying about the past or the present that wasn't or can't become true.

If we'd have had Trestman as an OC and a "get 'er dun" GM like Emery since Cutler arrived whose to say he wouldn't be just as good in this offense as Aaron Rodgers is in the Packer offense. Cutler would be in his 5th year of running this one instead of his first and that's not something anyone can short sell when it comes to the Packers. Rodgers and McCarthy are joined at the hip.

I don't make prediction's period but the Bears certainly "can" win the NFCN. The defense is still very sound and the offense is far more of an unknown than it has ever been in the past. That was a very good defense we were up against on Sunday and once Trestman took the gloves off we had them confused and on the run. And all things considered that was still a very conservative showing on Sunday.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +643 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    287ß
    It was really nice to finally see an offensive line protecting Cutler but let's not overreact. It was just one game and it was close. The only reason we won that game was because of Cincinnati's stupid penalties.

Be patient and see if the Bears keep playing like that, then we can talk.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,694 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,165ß
    I don't believe that lb and I hope you don't either. We outplayed them badly in the second half and that's what won the game. The penalty just before the half resulted in a FG but damn brother Gould had to hit a record breaker to get it so let's give him some credit. The guy has 10 straight from 50 yards or better.

Cutler kept his cool even after a bad pick (not even his fault, he was hit throwing) and he kept the team moving the ball for scores and at the end when we needed to run out the clock. Even without that last penalty on Maualaga I can't see Cincy moving into scoring range from inside there own 20 with no timeout left and less than a minute left. I have more confidence in our D than that because then they really would have been teeing off on the pass rush.

I'm not chugging Kool-Aid yet but you have to admit that was an impressive come from behind win we would not have gotten a year ago. It's just one game, that's true, but it was a very good showing against a very good team. Those guys are not the Bungles of old.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,034 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß
    I'm all for cautious optimism but let's not say the Bears didn't earn that win and only came out on top because Cincy "made mistakes" (ALL teams make mistakes every game and minimizing them as the Bears did is a credit). No question the Bengals had a few notably undisciplined plays. But the Bears also earned the win by cashing in when they had the chance.

The stupid PF just before half would have cost Cincy nothing if Gould hadn't hit a clutch long distance FG few kickers could make.

The timeout follies and 2nd dumb PF near the end allowed the Bears to run out the clock. It ended the game but do you KNOW that Cincy would have scored if it hadn't? No, you don't. They had done nothing on O since the first possession of the 3rd. How do you know the Bears CBs wouldn't have taken the ball away again? They had 2 picks and 2 forced fumbles already.

Even the single man on Marshall for the winning TD wasn't that bad of coverage at all. Cutler fired a rocket in there and BM held onto the ball despite taking a solid hit.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,701 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    468ß
    We out played them because their coach and players lost composure after the 4-1. The Bears and Trestman took advantage of that.

The old Bears would not have.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,663 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    576ß
    Bears Coaches outcoached the Bengals, but reality is the Bengals handed the Bears that game on a silver platter, and the Bears happily, and rightly, took that game from them.

Bengals are a bettre coached, more composed team, they win, it's not debatable, they don't get a PF on that punt at the end of the 1st 1/2 the Bears don't get what ended up being the winning FG; and if their D doesn't get a PF on a Bears failed 3rd and 6 in the 4th, the Bears don't run out the clock, and they then have the ability to try and get 2 quick plays down field to try a tying FG of their own.

All credit goes to the Bears coaching staff for having a well disciplined, adventageous, team.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    the Heads piling on the wagon LMAO,.... 3 wins in row they'll have us surpassing the Packers in championships in half the time that would be needed
  9. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    I was in this camp until I re-watched the game. We beat them in the 2nd half, when it counted. This is a legit win, no need for excuses.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,236 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    497ß
    We may have the best defense on paper, but they sure as hell didnt play that way in the first 3 quarters. Maybe it was just opening day jitters for Tucker, we have basically had the same people from last year, so the fault has to lie on him and his game calls. Say what you will about Cover-2 under Lovie, but they rarely gave up the big plays or passing yards that they did on Sunday.

So, seeing how our defense makes adjustments going forward will be key in determining if our paper defense is just as good on the field.
  11. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,701 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    468ß
    Every win is a legit win. There are no gimmes or easy wins. But the Bears took advantage of a team that lost its focus.

Sure, the team stepped it up in the second half, but the Bengals looked a lot like the Bungles after that 4-1 play
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Do not discount the Lions. Their O was number 3 or so last year.
  13. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,701 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    468ß
    I don't discount any team. Every team is capable of beating anyone
  14. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    BIG [​IMG]
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,694 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,165ß
    I believe that on both counts Benji. It was nice to our HC out coaching some other HC for a change as opposed to getting out coached which if this was 2012 is exactly what might have happened. I don't believe the Lovie Smith Bears would have won that game.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,694 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,165ß

OK.....where did you get those smilies from Nakoma? I need more of those to communicate in my usual style around here and I'm feeling very naked with the small selection we have. Fess up. Where are those goodies kept? LOL
  17. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I personally think Detroit COULD be the NFC darkhorse team to be honest. IF they can clean their act though and as of now looks like it ain't happening.
  18. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +632 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    522ß
    I watched the whole Lions/Vikings game, Reggie Bush adds a huge plus to their offense. Like Forte, he is a double threat. They are going to be serious contenders.
  19. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,172 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    I think Tucker can make the game changes on D as not to be so porous. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on the first game or 2. If it became a problem I can see Trestman chiming in and addressing it. Bottom line Bengals have a good offense and they fought back and won. I hope they can keep building that as a habit of resilency.
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,034 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß
    I agree completely.

If Lovie/Tice were still running the show, that game would have ended a 24-10 loss with 5-6 sacks surrendered. I'm not saying that to be funny; I believe that to be a very realistic assessment of what would most likely have happened.
    • Like Like x 1