Mills Loses The Boot But Still Out For Friday..............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 19, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Jordan Mills sheds boot, won’t play vs. Seattle

BY ADAM L. JAHNS Staff Reporter August 18, 2014 9:06PM

Bears Beat: Santonio Holmes is here!
    Bears Beat: Santonio Holmes is here!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Related Stories

Updated: August 19, 2014 2:22AM

Starting right tackle Jordan Mills has missed two preseason games and several practices, but he’s no longer wearing a walking boot on his left foot.

“It’s good news I’m out of the boot,” Mills said Monday after missing another practice.

Mills, in his second season, said it would be beneficial to play in a preseason game but indicated that he wouldn’t play Friday against the Seattle Seahawks.

“My foot is doing great,” he said. “I’m taking it day by day. I should be back soon, hopefully next week.”
    Mills underwent surgery in January to repair a fractured metatarsal. The Bears have been cautious with him since organized team activities.

“There was a little soreness when I hurt it two weeks ago,” Mills said. “But we’re just being careful. That’s why they put me in the boot, just to be cautious.

“I’m a 318-pound man applying force to it every day, so I’ve got to take it easy.”

Conte eager to play

After hoping to play last week against the Jacksonville Jaguars, safety Chris Conte said he’s set to play in his first game since he had surgery on his right shoulder.

“I don’t know where I’m going to be playing at or what,” Conte said, “but I’m going to be playing in some capacity.”

Sitting out;

Linebacker Lance Briggs is considered day-to-day after sitting out practice with a bruised knee. Cornerback Kyle Fuller, as expected, missed practice with the right ankle injury that forced him out of Thursday’s exhibition.

Offensive linemen Eben Britton (hamstring) and Brian de la Puente (sprained MCL) and defensive back Isaiah Frey (hamstring) remain out.

Coming back;
    Chris Williams (hamstring) returned to practice, and special-teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis said he’s a candidate at returner, especially with Eric Weems gone. But Micheal Spurlock is “really the first one at bat right now” at returner, DeCamillis said.

Defensive end Willie Young (bruised knee) returned to practice after missing the exhibition against the Jaguars.

More moves;
    The Bears signed returner Darius Reynaud and cornerback Peyton Thompson to one-year contracts and cut long snapper Chad Rempel and punter Tress Way.

Contributing: Patrick Finley
    Email: ajahns@suntimes.com
    Twitter: @adamjahns
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,291 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,460ß
    Hope he gets at least the 4th PS game to get up to speed
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Some good news and some not so good news. I'm actually more concerned that Britton's injury is keeping him out this long. They can't stick him on IR too and then recall him later. He's really in danger of being replaced by Michael Ola right now.

Mills will start practicing and then we'll see where he's at physically and developmentally. Losing all these practice and game reps didn't help. There's a few more bumps and bruises too but nothing sounds serious.

What's below isn't even related to Mills but since it was in this article I'm gonna comment on it.

Coming back;
    Chris Williams (hamstring) returned to practice, and special-teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis said he’s a candidate at returner, especially with Eric Weems gone. But Micheal Spurlock is “really the first one at bat right now” at returner, DeCamillis said.

I don't know if this "first up to bat" stuff is Trestman's idea or Joe D's but it's worthless to keep using these other guys as returners when they have what I consider zero chance of making the team as WRs whereas CWill does. Michael Spurlock offers nothing special as either a WR or a PR and he's already muffed two punts.

What about that makes him "next man at bat". Like Weems he's already had his chance and he's blown it. It's time to move on. If this is the way DeCamillis coaches it's no wonder our STeams are struggling.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,669 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,176ß
    Maybe that just means they're gonna take a baseball bat to 'im for muffing punts. Kind of like when Emery says he's welcoming a player back "with open arms" and next thing you know the guy is (shudder) gone.
    :18 1 205:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    Maybe they want to take it easy on Williams "Hammy" and that's why they are giving Spurlock another shot. I'd rather see the new returner OR Holmes get a shot before Spurlock though.

:18 1 205:
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I think they talking about Spurlock just doing KOR. They'll probably have Reynaud on PR and CWill if his "hammy" is sound enough. Jeezus after muffing two punts I hope the hell that's what they're doing.
  7. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +365 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    339ß
    I think being "next up to bat" is another way of saying, you've got one more chance, you fuck up and you're cut. As JABF stated.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,179ß
    No wonder DeCamillis can't get the ST productive. Hey DeCam...... You don't use a bat in football. You can only use it (legally) in baseball. I hope this helps you more productive....
    • Like Like x 1
  9. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +691 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    397ß
    I really still don't mind him sitting out. It just gives Krom more time to find a replacement for the weakest link on the line. If Mills comes back strong great nothing lost if not well we got guys lined up ready to go. This is becoming a win win situation, at this point Mills is only hurting himself not being out there even Krom said it indirectly in his last press talk.
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

There has to come a point where if there's no risk in doing any further damage and all it is is soreness and discomfort then you have to play with the hurts in the NFL or not play at all.
  11. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    It seems from what has been said that it is completely healed, but is just causing him some discomfort. If that is the case, then "suck it up, Susan, this is the N-F-L". Most of the time with soreness, once it is warmed up, it goes away until you cool down again, and then it is back and worse. With all of the physio available to these guys, they should be able to play through something like this. Hopefully this is just precaution.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +691 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    397ß
    No there's no risk of further injury it's all pain at this point from aggravation to surgical site. The question that has to be asked is 80% Mills better than the next lineman.? I say no, Ola looks the just as good and possibly better so having Mills fully recovered and not put the line at jeopardy makes more sense.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

I'd say as far as pass blocking goes Mills and Ola may be even but Mills did a hell of a job run blocking last year and so far I don't know if we're getting than from Ola. But then I don't know that we're getting it from anyone so far.

I'll stick with what I've been saying. Mills is actually the most easily replaced OL. I'm more concerned about Britton because he's the swing guy and if he's not ready to go soon they may need to stick him on IR or just release him.
    • Like Like x 1