Mills shows promise, but don't get carried away

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Aug 21, 2013.

1. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Mills at worse so far looks a lot better than Webb at his best.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I'm a realist about both Mills and Long and Aaron Kromer is right, there's a lot left to be learned. So far these guys have faced two pretty poor DLines and have done well to even appearing dominating at times. All well and good but Cincy has a DLine ever bit as good as our own so how well they're holding up in practice against our guys is a better indicator of where they're at than these past two games.

We're gonna be shaking our collective heads and cursing both before the year is through but at least we've got two young guys with huge upsides and a desire to play every game better than they did the last and so far they're backing it up. For now I'll settle for that. Later on I expect really good and then maybe we get to great but if Mills and Long just give the 100% effort to improving that we weren't getting from Webb we'll be at least twice as good as we were and while that's still not good enough to win championships it's a good start.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,048 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,286ß
    He looks as though he could have been a steal with how he is playing. Granted, it is only pre-season games, but I like what I have seen.

Either Emery knew what he was doing when he drafted him, or he got lucky as hell. Either way, I will take it.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    The fact that we are drafting O-line in more rounds than just the first is making me a believer that Emery understands talent.

As it appears right now, Long was a gamble and Mills was a good value, but as others have said, they performed well against poor Dlines, lets see what they can do against some of the best.

Im just glad we are not talking about how the O-line must develop chemistry. We are actually talking about TALENT that showing up on game day!!!

Ill take that for now, but I reserve the right to complain later in the season :)
  5. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Another good showing by Mills, albeit against a lousy team, but let it keep building his confidence. That Cincy D-line will be the real test.
  6. MikeGolf97

MikeGolf97 Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    I want High hopes, How long have had the worst oline in the NFL? Hope is way better than excuses, Oh Webb is slowly improving Oh Carimi is getting over his knee injury
  7. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Well to be accurate the Bears haven't had the worst O-line in the league for years. Bears fans perceive that as so, but based on statistics there are other teams with that distinct honor over the past few years.
  8. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    The Bears had hands down the worst offensive line in 2010 according to the NY life protection index, which ranked all offensive lines. I'm just going off memory here, but that year the highest rated teams were the Saints, or maybe it was Indy, but they scored close to 100. We scored a 39 that year. Oakland had over a 50.

2011, the Bears were the 31st ranked offensive line. And in 2012, oh my god, we were ranked the 24th offensive line thanks to our run blocking.

And cue the X-Files music, but all three years were when Webb was playing on the line.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +691 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    399ß
    And yet a another lousy play by Webb albeit against a lousy 2/3 D-line team, but let it keep building his confidence.
  10. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    I'm not slowing my roll, I think Mills and Long are gonna surprise everyone this season and keep it going with good pass protection for Cutler and opening holes for Forte.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,687 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,193ß
    At least we have two young players here who have the physicality to manhandle & beat up opposing DL players. Long and Mills both seem to have a nasty attitude & they play with so much passion. They are 100% fired up all game long.

Webb just seemed to lack any kind of fire or passion. He would play well some plays, and then just phone it it on others. One game he'd look solid, then the next game it was like he never showed up emotionally......like he was just "going through the motions" and he couldn't care less.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    131ß
    i love this o-line, feels so much different. long is a big surprise, watching the preseason I think he is the biggest positive surprise of the draft so far, hope he can carry it on when it matters. lets not forget slauson, i liked that signing from the start, he'll be consistent im sure of it
    • Like Like x 2
  13. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Well if it is luck it's about time some fell our way but I'm guessing it has more to do with good scouting and a different way of evaluating college players. Emery has the experience doing that whereas Angelo never did. Blocking and tackling people is what impresses Emery not jumping out of swimming pools.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    131ß
    Soulman u like Emery!? hoooray ;)
  15. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,048 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,286ß
    Some of his "stretches" may turn out to be good grabs at those spots after all
    • Like Like x 1
  16. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +691 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    399ß
    Did you see the strength of Long on the scuffle. When he grabbed that guy by face mask and held him that was priceless. I'd compare that to when I hold my nephew who wants to take a swing at me and everyone is laughing because I'm holding his head arms length out. Oh, this isn't a little kid this a pro football player Long is doing this too and by the way he still doesn't know how to fully play the RG position yet. oh my...
  17. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,048 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,286ß
    I am beginning to think Long wasn't a stretch after all
    • Like Like x 4
  18. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    I think when they revisit this draft and start projecting where players should have gone, he'll be considered to should have gone in the top 5.
    • Like Like x 6
  19. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +1,438 / 5 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    This draft overall looks like it could have been a damn good one.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,687 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,193ß
    I sure agree with that. I had almost given up all hope under the Angelo/Lovie regime. By last year it was heartbreaking (for me) to watch yet another crap OL play. I kept thinking "how is it possible to continue to screw this up each year?".......but the Bears failed year after year after year.

Now I'm stunned (in a good way) to see the Bears bring in two OL guys through the draft who are starting quality. Guys who can actually play well on the OL. It's pretty cool to watch. I re-watched the Oakland game last night, just to bask in the "good feeling" of watching those two youngsters play. And the rest of the OL looked solid too (heck, even Garza looks better this year). It's like I died & went to heaven. Pretty cool.
    • Like Like x 1