Mills shows promise, but don't get carried away

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Aug 21, 2013.

1. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Mills at worse so far looks a lot better than Webb at his best.

• Like Like x 1
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    I'm a realist about both Mills and Long and Aaron Kromer is right, there's a lot left to be learned. So far these guys have faced two pretty poor DLines and have done well to even appearing dominating at times. All well and good but Cincy has a DLine ever bit as good as our own so how well they're holding up in practice against our guys is a better indicator of where they're at than these past two games.

We're gonna be shaking our collective heads and cursing both before the year is through but at least we've got two young guys with huge upsides and a desire to play every game better than they did the last and so far they're backing it up. For now I'll settle for that. Later on I expect really good and then maybe we get to great but if Mills and Long just give the 100% effort to improving that we weren't getting from Webb we'll be at least twice as good as we were and while that's still not good enough to win championships it's a good start.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,610 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,384ß
    He looks as though he could have been a steal with how he is playing. Granted, it is only pre-season games, but I like what I have seen.

Either Emery knew what he was doing when he drafted him, or he got lucky as hell. Either way, I will take it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +391 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    186ß
    The fact that we are drafting O-line in more rounds than just the first is making me a believer that Emery understands talent.

As it appears right now, Long was a gamble and Mills was a good value, but as others have said, they performed well against poor Dlines, lets see what they can do against some of the best.

Im just glad we are not talking about how the O-line must develop chemistry. We are actually talking about TALENT that showing up on game day!!!

Ill take that for now, but I reserve the right to complain later in the season :)

5. Mr. Deliverance

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Another good showing by Mills, albeit against a lousy team, but let it keep building his confidence. That Cincy D-line will be the real test.

6. MikeGolf97

MikeGolf97 Rookie

Ratings:
    +57 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß
    I want High hopes, How long have had the worst oline in the NFL? Hope is way better than excuses, Oh Webb is slowly improving Oh Carimi is getting over his knee injury

7. Mr. Deliverance

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Well to be accurate the Bears haven't had the worst O-line in the league for years. Bears fans perceive that as so, but based on statistics there are other teams with that distinct honor over the past few years.

8. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +506 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß
    The Bears had hands down the worst offensive line in 2010 according to the NY life protection index, which ranked all offensive lines. I'm just going off memory here, but that year the highest rated teams were the Saints, or maybe it was Indy, but they scored close to 100. We scored a 39 that year. Oakland had over a 50.

2011, the Bears were the 31st ranked offensive line. And in 2012, oh my god, we were ranked the 24th offensive line thanks to our run blocking.

And cue the X-Files music, but all three years were when Webb was playing on the line.

• Like Like x 2
  9. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +723 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    459ß
    And yet a another lousy play by Webb albeit against a lousy 2/3 D-line team, but let it keep building his confidence.

10. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    I'm not slowing my roll, I think Mills and Long are gonna surprise everyone this season and keep it going with good pass protection for Cutler and opening holes for Forte.