Mock draft post Allen signing

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Mar 26, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,638 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    So w/the Signing of Allen it puts less pressure on the Bears to get another DL this year, they'll still draft one but the NEED is not there anymore. The way things are looking I see Houston and Young as the starters at DE on rush downs and Houston moving to DT on passing downs where Allen will come in.

The NEED positions are still S, ILB, CB. DT could still be used but it's not required, same w/TE, RB, QB and WR.

Roster pre draft:
    QB:Cutler/Palmer
    RB:Forte/Ford
    C:Garza/Boggs
    G:Slauson/Long/Boggs/Brown
    T:Bushrod/Mills/JLong/Brown
    TE: DaOD/Rosario(for now)/Fendi
    WR: Jeffery/Marshal/Wilson/Hixon
    DT/NT:Ratliff/Paea/Collins/Houston
    DE:Allen/Houston/Young/Bass/Washington
    OLB:Briggs/Bostic/She/Greene
    ILB: DJ/Bostic
    CB:Jennings/Tillman/Frey/____
    S:Conte/____/Mundy/____/MDJenn

DRAFT:

14: CJ Mosley, Ala ILB: Bears have DJ Williams this year, but if he gets hurt there is no depth, also Briggs is playing w/a sling on his arm so the need for a LB is far bigger then anyone is really tallking about.
    Mosely is day 1 ready if needed and he'll definately be able to play in a rotation. He's smart, instinctive and good against the pass and a good blitzer which Tucker likes(see DJ and Anderson last year). He's a bit small, and isn't ready for play calling duties yet but most rookies won't be and hopefully DJ will be healthy this year. CJ is a little banged up also which is a concern, he's still by far the best ILB and the difference between him and the next ILB is far greater then the difference between the DT's and S's.

51: Marcus Robinson,FL CB: Bears fill one of their other needs at CB w/this pick, he'll fight for Frey for nickle and will be able to rotate w/Tillman to keep the old man fresher.
    Robinson is a big CB that is capable of playing day 1 if needed, he's physical, sometimes a bit to much so, but can pass cover in man well and is versitile in scheme. He does has some run coverage issues, but again he's not going to be an everydown guy(hopefully) so his negatives can be limited while learning from 2 pro bowl CB's his rookie year. He's also capable of playing ST's as a retrun man.

82: Deone Bucannon Washington, State, SS: The Bears need real and legit competition at S, and they get it in the 3rd w/Bucannon, he's not going to walk in and be a day 1 starter w/no competition the likes of a Pryor or Dix but he's still got a good change of outpaying the likes of Mundy or MD.
    Bucannnon is a big physical pressence and a hard hitter that will try and seperate the ball from whoever he comes into contact with. He's also good against the run, ie not wright not conte. He could be a liability in pass coverage which is why he's going to have to come in and compete for a job, but it's nothing that will keep him out of a S rotation. Like Robinson he's also another ST contributor.

113: George Uko, USC DT: Bears finally address the rotational DL w/Uko, who can play all along the DL.
    Uko is a Melton sized DT that has good hands and can fire off the ball, he's not complete or a day 1 guy but then again if he was he wouldn't be had in the 4th. He's better against the run then he is the pass, but that could be corrected via learning. He has some work to do and some learning to do, but w/the staff and the vets that will be around him his ceiling should be reached.

144: Richard Rogers, Cal TE: Bears address the backup TE position w/this pick. This is a true backup TE, unlike Rosario who is a primary blocker, this is also a shot accross the Bow of Fendi, take a legit step or be replaced.
    Rogers is a pass catching TE who's primary issues are in technique and routes which are learnable espeically w/this HC and staff. He's a threat after the catch and can also block but is raw. Much like Uko and anyone after this you are looking for guys that can develop.

167: Jeff Matthews, Cornell QB: Bears need a young qb that can take the backup role next year and hope to get in the 6th round.
    Matthews is a big qb w/a big arm but lacks mobility and needs work, enter Trestman, who can seemingly maximize the talent of any qb. He won't be seeing the field this year, but next year he could be the teams long term backup.

175: TJ Jones, ND WR: Bears could use some depth at WR w/the cutting of Weems and Bennett.
    TJ has some good speed and is a solid route runner. He's not exactly what anyone is going to call a big WR, but the team could use a veritcal threat besides Wilson and Jones might be able to develop into that in a year or so.

UDFA:
    RB/S/C

Roster pre draft:
    QB:Cutler/Palmer/Matthews
    RB:Forte/Ford
    C:Garza/Boggs
    G:Slauson/Long/Boggs/Brown
    T:Bushrod/Mills/JLong/Brown
    TE: DaOD/Rosario(for now)/Fendi/Rogers
    WR: Jeffery/Marshal/Wilson/Hixon/Jones
    DT/NT:Ratliff/Paea/Collins/Houston/Uko
    DE:Allen/Houston/Young/Bass/Uko/Washington
    OLB:Briggs/Bostic/She/Greene
    ILB: DJ/Mosley/Bostic
    CB:Jennings/Tillman/Robinson/Frey/
    S:Conte/Bucannon/Mundy/MDJenn
  2. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +164 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    I'm really not sold on Mosley as 4-3 MLB. :/ From what I've read and stuff he seems better fit for a 3-4 defense and I don't want another case of "Shea McClellin". Rather go with a "safer" choice. Also I would take a safety in 2th and CB in 3th.
    I really like the last picks though
  3. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Anther solid mock Ric. Mosley is looking more and more like he may fall out of the top 10.
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,638 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    Zif, there is zero chance of Mosley being a "She Mc", you are correct though that he is not the safest pick, but at this poing it's the biggest need and the LB core in general is not good this year and CJ is by far the best available for ILB. If he has pass coverage skills I'm not sure he'd be a 3-4 LB only, and he does.

There aren't many S's worth taking in the 2nd, and the CB's are all better in comparison, but ya you could go etiher way depending on what you want/like, IMO I think Buccannon falls much closer to the likes you can get in the 2nd then any CB you can get in the 3rd are compared to a guy like Robinson or McGill or SJB who are all 6 foot.

Grizz, ya it's the one position of need that has ZERO depth so while I would perfer a guy like Pryor or Dix or even Donald or Ealy, you can get DB's and DL'men in the early to mid rounds where ILB's just aren't there.
  5. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    I would understand the pick but I don't like the risk involved. I think Mosley is just a big fish in a small pond of ILB talent this year so he is going to be overdrafted as the best ILB available. From what I read and saw he actually is very similar play style to Bostic. Speaking of Bostic in an emergency situation with an improved dline and a whole year of learning, I think he could have another go at the Mike. It's for this reason I personally prefer a likely starter and day one upgrade at safety (assuming they grade out as expected.) Give the staff one more year to evaluate who fits where with our young LBs while we still have DJ and Briggs and draft accordingly next year. Very well maybe taking a better ILB first next year if we don't find a long term solution.
  6. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    I have to agree with most of you and say since signing Allen its time to get an elite safety (my vote Pryor over Nix) and then another pass rusher in the second rd unless there is a great CB sitting there
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    Forte will be 29 or 30 this year its time to start looking for his replacement.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,638 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    Grizz, but right now Bostic would have to play or sub for Briggs, so you still need a ILB. Before the Briggs Inj, the OLB looked stacked, but Briggs/Shea/Bostic/Greene is all of a sudden thin if Briggs goes out, and now you just lost your ILB backup if DJ goes out, ILB HAS to be addressed, and the best being Bostic like is still FAR better then the rest being Greene like or worse.

I'd be fine w/DT/S, but don't be surprised if ILB is dealt w/early, it's going to next year also regardless of how Mosely turns out, but it's still a need unless something else happens in FA.

JJ, Forte has a fraction of the touches of guys that fall off the cliff at 29-30, he's more along the lines of a Thomas Jones or Gore who'll be solid until 31-32; AND can be addressed in UDFA, where a ton of quality RB's will be sitting on the market looking for jobs.
  9. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    ehhhhh no so fast, just because he's 30 doesnt mean the wheels are going to fall off :D hahaha, be you didnt know hes one of the most durable RBs in the game today
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    I wasn't clear Ric, I didn't mean we ignore ILB...just go fishing in a round not first. I'm not to familiar with the lbs down the line but investing a top 15 pick on a question mark who only plays in the case of injury isn't worth it IMO.
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,638 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    Grizz, while I agree w/the idea of not getting a full time starter at 14 isn't ideal and actually pretty bad idea(it's why I'm against a DT/DE as opposed to DB b/c they'll be sitting in a rotation rather then potentially starting), ILB's traditionally, and escpecially this year, do not fair well in the NFL outside of the mid first. And for a guy that stand a GOOD chance of seeing playing time this year ala Bostic last year, you'll end up w/more of a Kasheem Greene player then Bositc, player going into round 2-6; and Bostic wasn't very good to begin with.

I know a lot of FANS haven't given up on Bostic in the middle, but Emery is looking at him as a OLB first, so that means ILB is still a very large need.

Im all for DB/DL/ILB at 14, as long as they are the top ranked of that position on the board, I'd say highest rated on the big board but I've come to expect Emery to give a shit less about anyone elses big board but his, which is also why I tend to stay away from the obvious choices like Donald.
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,638 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    So here are the reviews I'm reading about Mosely:

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=3353

C.J. Mosley, OLB, Alabama
    In today's NFL, it is not common for a 4-3 OLB prospect to receive much attention as a potential first round pick, but Alabama's C.J. Mosley may be the best prospect at his position and he could've come out during last year's draft. Mosley is an all-around, versatile prospect with excellent size and athleticism.
    Shows great discipline in staying on his reads and driving to the football in his lane. Fantastic run defender. Downhill style of play. Explosive closing burst. Not a huge hitter, but an effective wrap-up tackler. Tremendous range against running backs. Can make plays from sideline to sideline. Must improve his ability to deflect off of offensive linemen. Will get eaten up by bigger blockers. Usually does well to dig into blocker's chest with inside shoulder while keeping outside shoulder free.
    Above-average coverage skills and can hold his own dropping back into zones. Can rush the passer and loves to play aggressive. Will get his hands up and active in passing lanes. Not a natural edge rusher, but times his jump off the line well. Moves very well on the field with few false steps. At his best when staying aggressive. Should be an excellent weak-side LB.
    Mosley projects as a first round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft

FFToolbox calls him an OLB, but then says he can play sideline to sideline which is what you want in an ILB

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=110707&draftyear=2014&genpos=OLB

02/20/14 - 2014 NFL Draft Scout Pre-Combine Top 64 Prospects: 16. C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama, 6-2, 232, 4.65, 1...Leader of the Crimson Tide's suffocating defense, Mosley is highly regarded in the scouting community and could end up as a top 10 pick in May. Says NFLDraftScout.com senior analyst Rob Rang: "Tough and athletic, with the keenest instincts of any linebacker I've scouted since Lofa Tatupu, Mosley is constantly around the ball and is often making big plays as a result." - Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange

03/22/14 - 2014 Pro Days: Alabama's Mosley runs well, Kouandjio holds off...After not running his 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine, senior LB C.J. Mosley ran for scouts and head coaches on Wednesday at Alabama's pro day. He clocked times in the 4.65-4.72 range and also looked “fluid” and “loose” in positional drills, according to those in Tuscaloosa for the workout. Mosley ranks as NFLDraftScout.com's No. 1 ILB in the 2014 NFL Draft and has been a mainstay in mock drafts dating back to the summer. He said he made the “right decision” by not running at the Combine due to a sore hip and knee and waiting until Wednesday's pro day, but his injury history is what could keep him out of the top-20 picks on draft weekend. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

NFLdraftscount says the biggest issue is not his talent but the inj concern, which if they passed on him is why I would understand.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2014/3/18/5468740/c-j-mosley-2014-nfl-draft-scouting-report

Final word
    Where Mosley falls in the draft will likely depend on positional value. Teams don't value middle linebackers too highly. Still, he grades out as one of the 10 best players in this class. Few players are better at their position than Mosley is at inside linebacker. Furthermore, no inside linebacker in this class is even close to Mosley. He should make an impact as a rookie in the NFL.

SBNation thinks he's a top 10 player but thinks he falls b/c teams don't value ILB's highly anymore/.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...rt-nfl-outlook-for-alabama-outside-linebacker

Overall
    The lack of NFL success from recent Alabama defenders shouldn’t scare teams off from C.J. Mosley as long as his medical exams come back with a passing grade.
    Mosley is a true three-down linebacker, which is a must in today’s NFL. His athleticism, football instincts and versatile skill set make him the type of linebacker who can have an impact on a down-by-down basis. Mosley may be most suited as an outside linebacker in a 4-3, but he’s not a bad fit for the inside of a 4-3 or 3-4 and will certainly factor into any team’s nickel package.

really not sure where you are finding that he's not a good fit at ILB or that he's limited. Just about every SR says that if there weren't inj concerns he's a top 10 pick, Bostic was NEVER that, I think B/R puts it best if his medical exams come back clean he's a good pick.

Here's the thing though, last week the Pitt GM said there are no "elite" must haves in the mid 1st which is why everyone wants to trade back b/c the quality is in the depth, he said there was only like 5-8 "must have's" this draft, 3 of them wee qb's.
    So any where the Bears go is going to be good, but not "great". The idea that Donald is an "elite" talent or Pryor or Dix for that matter, or Mosely or whoever there it's all false.
    Donald and Dix and Pryor are definately safer, but none are elite, so the team can go anywhere at 14 and they'll get a really good player the same level as the latter 1/2 of the draft, and I think that's probably thte case
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  13. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Mosley just sounds alot like Bostic to me. Watched some of his highlights and even his highlights look very similar to Bostic's college highlights. He does the same thing Bostic did in college to make great plays, but hurt him last year in the NFL. This is; using his great athletic ability to turn his shoulders and knife thru or past blocks to come up with big TFL. We saw what happens when you try to out athletic Olinemen in the NFL and you do not play square in the middle.

Again, I understand the need but I do not think Mosley fits the bill. Combine that with an injury concern and its just not a pick I would touch at 14. I wish there was another option but this year is a very weak ILB class. Likley a high need on the list next May.
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    More I've been reading about Mosely, the less I like him at 14. Stock falling due to medical concerns and ???s about if he's really 4-3 MLB material. Fact is, it's a crappy draft for ILBs in general. Don't see any Luke Kuechley's or Kiko Alonso's out there. It seems there are better choices out there for the 1st. I'd rather take the best S prospect than an injured maybe-ILB one.

How about Shane Skov in the 3rd or so as a depth guy? This isn't the year to draft a MLB starter it seems...
    • Like Like x 1
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,638 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    MP, in that I agree, but again you have to but I just posted 4 scouting reports and none said he wasn't 4-3 material, could someone post where they are reading that?

The idea that this is a bad ILB draft is a problem and all the more reason that Ogletree should have been taken last year, but it has to be addressed w/a player that has the ability to play, and all the reports I posted says the guy can play.

Grizz, if you've seen him play and don't think he's the one thats fine, I admitedly don't watch much NFL football, I merely read a lot about the players and make my decisions based on that. I also get what you are saying about Bostic, but like I said above, whoever you get has to be more Bostic and less Greene; Greene was unplayable last year, Bostic was at least servicable, even if he was still bad, and from what I've read and heard Skov/Smallwood aren't even Bostic level of play, and they are the 2nd/3rd best LB's.

Sadly ILB is a need regardless next year. OLB is probably safe until the mid rounds or will have to again be addressed in FA, Briggs won't be returning leaving the Bears w/Shea/Bostic/Greene and all three might well not work out, Bostic having the best chances of sticking. They won't resign DJ either meaning that whoever is drafted this year HAS to be able to start or at least be a legit backup.

Honestly I'd still perfer Pryor or Dix, but the reality is Mosely might well be the best fit at the biggest NEED position.
  16. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß

I get what your saying Ric, and I WANT to like Mosely as a Mike but I just honestly don't see it. I did see 4 or so bama games and he plays like Bostic did in college. I think he will have identical issues adjusting to the NFL at the MIke. Difficulty absorbing a block AND THEN shedding it. Overagressive. With some work and time to adjust could he play Mike, sure. But then again so can Bostic, they just both naturally fit better at Will where they can use their athleticism and explosiveness to set edges, knife through backside and find their way into backfields for big plays. As to the scouting reports we gota take those with a grain of salt. I regoogeled (lol is that a word?) old Bostic scouting reports and they were unanimous at saying he is a 4-3 Mike prospect that could also play Will. Very similar reviews, combine that with injury concerns and I just don't want to touch it. I wish there was a Kucley type guy there but there just isn't. Skov could be the BEST Mike option in this whole draft and that isn't saying very much.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,638 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    If there was a a Mike like that he wouldn't be had at 14 this year :) . Again I go back and unless you are in the top 8-10 you are not getting "elite" regardless. Just getting really good so at this point you are just looking at filling holes. The inj concerns are the biggest draw back imo, but we won't have access to the medical records, which could show anything from don't touch to he's fine and a steal.

Mosley is a better option then Skov if the med records are fine, if not then it's Skov, and no that's a bad consolation prize. The ability to get an ILB was missed last year and the team is now suffering for it. Again go back 10 years and you rarely find top 10 talent ILB's outside of the mid 1st, those athletes just don't make it into the 2nd. There is a reason Bostic dropped.