Mock draft post Allen signing

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Mar 26, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,118ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    So w/the Signing of Allen it puts less pressure on the Bears to get another DL this year, they'll still draft one but the NEED is not there anymore. The way things are looking I see Houston and Young as the starters at DE on rush downs and Houston moving to DT on passing downs where Allen will come in.

The NEED positions are still S, ILB, CB. DT could still be used but it's not required, same w/TE, RB, QB and WR.

Roster pre draft:
    QB:Cutler/Palmer
    RB:Forte/Ford
    C:Garza/Boggs
    G:Slauson/Long/Boggs/Brown
    T:Bushrod/Mills/JLong/Brown
    TE: DaOD/Rosario(for now)/Fendi
    WR: Jeffery/Marshal/Wilson/Hixon
    DT/NT:Ratliff/Paea/Collins/Houston
    DE:Allen/Houston/Young/Bass/Washington
    OLB:Briggs/Bostic/She/Greene
    ILB: DJ/Bostic
    CB:Jennings/Tillman/Frey/____
    S:Conte/____/Mundy/____/MDJenn

DRAFT:

14: CJ Mosley, Ala ILB: Bears have DJ Williams this year, but if he gets hurt there is no depth, also Briggs is playing w/a sling on his arm so the need for a LB is far bigger then anyone is really tallking about.
    Mosely is day 1 ready if needed and he'll definately be able to play in a rotation. He's smart, instinctive and good against the pass and a good blitzer which Tucker likes(see DJ and Anderson last year). He's a bit small, and isn't ready for play calling duties yet but most rookies won't be and hopefully DJ will be healthy this year. CJ is a little banged up also which is a concern, he's still by far the best ILB and the difference between him and the next ILB is far greater then the difference between the DT's and S's.

51: Marcus Robinson,FL CB: Bears fill one of their other needs at CB w/this pick, he'll fight for Frey for nickle and will be able to rotate w/Tillman to keep the old man fresher.
    Robinson is a big CB that is capable of playing day 1 if needed, he's physical, sometimes a bit to much so, but can pass cover in man well and is versitile in scheme. He does has some run coverage issues, but again he's not going to be an everydown guy(hopefully) so his negatives can be limited while learning from 2 pro bowl CB's his rookie year. He's also capable of playing ST's as a retrun man.

82: Deone Bucannon Washington, State, SS: The Bears need real and legit competition at S, and they get it in the 3rd w/Bucannon, he's not going to walk in and be a day 1 starter w/no competition the likes of a Pryor or Dix but he's still got a good change of outpaying the likes of Mundy or MD.
    Bucannnon is a big physical pressence and a hard hitter that will try and seperate the ball from whoever he comes into contact with. He's also good against the run, ie not wright not conte. He could be a liability in pass coverage which is why he's going to have to come in and compete for a job, but it's nothing that will keep him out of a S rotation. Like Robinson he's also another ST contributor.

113: George Uko, USC DT: Bears finally address the rotational DL w/Uko, who can play all along the DL.
    Uko is a Melton sized DT that has good hands and can fire off the ball, he's not complete or a day 1 guy but then again if he was he wouldn't be had in the 4th. He's better against the run then he is the pass, but that could be corrected via learning. He has some work to do and some learning to do, but w/the staff and the vets that will be around him his ceiling should be reached.

144: Richard Rogers, Cal TE: Bears address the backup TE position w/this pick. This is a true backup TE, unlike Rosario who is a primary blocker, this is also a shot accross the Bow of Fendi, take a legit step or be replaced.
    Rogers is a pass catching TE who's primary issues are in technique and routes which are learnable espeically w/this HC and staff. He's a threat after the catch and can also block but is raw. Much like Uko and anyone after this you are looking for guys that can develop.

167: Jeff Matthews, Cornell QB: Bears need a young qb that can take the backup role next year and hope to get in the 6th round.
    Matthews is a big qb w/a big arm but lacks mobility and needs work, enter Trestman, who can seemingly maximize the talent of any qb. He won't be seeing the field this year, but next year he could be the teams long term backup.

175: TJ Jones, ND WR: Bears could use some depth at WR w/the cutting of Weems and Bennett.
    TJ has some good speed and is a solid route runner. He's not exactly what anyone is going to call a big WR, but the team could use a veritcal threat besides Wilson and Jones might be able to develop into that in a year or so.

UDFA:
    RB/S/C

Roster pre draft:
    QB:Cutler/Palmer/Matthews
    RB:Forte/Ford
    C:Garza/Boggs
    G:Slauson/Long/Boggs/Brown
    T:Bushrod/Mills/JLong/Brown
    TE: DaOD/Rosario(for now)/Fendi/Rogers
    WR: Jeffery/Marshal/Wilson/Hixon/Jones
    DT/NT:Ratliff/Paea/Collins/Houston/Uko
    DE:Allen/Houston/Young/Bass/Uko/Washington
    OLB:Briggs/Bostic/She/Greene
    ILB: DJ/Mosley/Bostic
    CB:Jennings/Tillman/Robinson/Frey/
    S:Conte/Bucannon/Mundy/MDJenn

2. ZifanQ

ZifanQ
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    85ß
    I'm really not sold on Mosley as 4-3 MLB. :/ From what I've read and stuff he seems better fit for a 3-4 defense and I don't want another case of "Shea McClellin". Rather go with a "safer" choice. Also I would take a safety in 2th and CB in 3th.
    I really like the last picks though

3. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    Anther solid mock Ric. Mosley is looking more and more like he may fall out of the top 10.

4. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,118ß
    Zif, there is zero chance of Mosley being a "She Mc", you are correct though that he is not the safest pick, but at this poing it's the biggest need and the LB core in general is not good this year and CJ is by far the best available for ILB. If he has pass coverage skills I'm not sure he'd be a 3-4 LB only, and he does.

There aren't many S's worth taking in the 2nd, and the CB's are all better in comparison, but ya you could go etiher way depending on what you want/like, IMO I think Buccannon falls much closer to the likes you can get in the 2nd then any CB you can get in the 3rd are compared to a guy like Robinson or McGill or SJB who are all 6 foot.

Grizz, ya it's the one position of need that has ZERO depth so while I would perfer a guy like Pryor or Dix or even Donald or Ealy, you can get DB's and DL'men in the early to mid rounds where ILB's just aren't there.

5. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    I would understand the pick but I don't like the risk involved. I think Mosley is just a big fish in a small pond of ILB talent this year so he is going to be overdrafted as the best ILB available. From what I read and saw he actually is very similar play style to Bostic. Speaking of Bostic in an emergency situation with an improved dline and a whole year of learning, I think he could have another go at the Mike. It's for this reason I personally prefer a likely starter and day one upgrade at safety (assuming they grade out as expected.) Give the staff one more year to evaluate who fits where with our young LBs while we still have DJ and Briggs and draft accordingly next year. Very well maybe taking a better ILB first next year if we don't find a long term solution.

6. VJ18

VJ18
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    343ß
    I have to agree with most of you and say since signing Allen its time to get an elite safety (my vote Pryor over Nix) and then another pass rusher in the second rd unless there is a great CB sitting there

• Like Like x 1
  7. JJ-30

JJ-30
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    323ß
    Forte will be 29 or 30 this year its time to start looking for his replacement.

• Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,118ß
    Grizz, but right now Bostic would have to play or sub for Briggs, so you still need a ILB. Before the Briggs Inj, the OLB looked stacked, but Briggs/Shea/Bostic/Greene is all of a sudden thin if Briggs goes out, and now you just lost your ILB backup if DJ goes out, ILB HAS to be addressed, and the best being Bostic like is still FAR better then the rest being Greene like or worse.

I'd be fine w/DT/S, but don't be surprised if ILB is dealt w/early, it's going to next year also regardless of how Mosely turns out, but it's still a need unless something else happens in FA.

JJ, Forte has a fraction of the touches of guys that fall off the cliff at 29-30, he's more along the lines of a Thomas Jones or Gore who'll be solid until 31-32; AND can be addressed in UDFA, where a ton of quality RB's will be sitting on the market looking for jobs.

9. VJ18

VJ18
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    343ß
    ehhhhh no so fast, just because he's 30 doesnt mean the wheels are going to fall off :D hahaha, be you didnt know hes one of the most durable RBs in the game today

• Like Like x 1
  10. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    I wasn't clear Ric, I didn't mean we ignore ILB...just go fishing in a round not first. I'm not to familiar with the lbs down the line but investing a top 15 pick on a question mark who only plays in the case of injury isn't worth it IMO.