Mock Offseason 1.0

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Jan 17, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,306 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    So Cuts:

Peppers, Weems, EBennett, Bush, Podless. Not a ton of cash, so no big names, but maybe boarderline starters/backups
    Remember Emery said the team will focus the draft on the D side of the ball, but 6 picks are not going to be starter/backup ready so they still have work to do. especially after letting so many walk.
    FA signings; unless otherwise notated 1-2 year deals:

discriptions from Walterfootball:
    DT's:
    Vance Walker, DT, Raiders. Age: 27. 2 stars

Vance Walker is a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none defensive tackle. He's passable as a starter.
    Nate Collins, DT, Bears. Age 26. no stars 3yr deal
    *me: under both are 30, and should come cheap, Collins didn't even get rated by WF, Collins by the Bears was actually rated high so they like him a lot. Also the team is likely to draft a DT early anyways these are guys to create depth and be a potential starters.
    DE's:
    Corey Wootton, DE, Bears. Age: 27. 2 stars 3yr deal

Corey Wootton happens to be solid in run support, but he's only average when it comes to rushing the passer. He had seven sacks in 2012, but saw that number cut in half this past season.
    Michael Bennett, DE, Seahawks. Age: 28. 4 stars 4yr deal
    Michael Bennett signed a 1-year "prove it" deal this past offseason because he was coming off an injury. The gamble paid off, as Bennett registered 8.5 sacks while being a dominant force against the run, as usual. Letting Bennett go was one of the many reasons why Mark Dominik was fired as Tampa Bay's general manager.
    *Me, okay true, Wootton had a down year, but he was also played out of position so his numbers should have shrank. That being said he's having surgery and I think that and the fact that he's only had 2 good seasons will limit his contract size and interest from other teams As for MBennett, if he might be the one decent contract they go after, they need a rusher.
    LB's:
    DJ Williams, MLB age 31. 2 stars
    Ramon Humber, MLB, Saints. Age: 27 2 stars.

*Me neither are considered note worthy by WF, DJ is 31 and isn't getting another long term deal, but he played pretty damn well before his inj, the team should be able to get a 1yr deal for some decent money from him. Ramon Humber is a guy that can provide depth for a position that probably will not be taken early b/c of other positions of need(DT/DE/CB/S) This is a position that can be taken care of next year in the draft.
    CB's:
    Corey Graham, CB, Ravens. Age: 29. 2.5 stars

Corey Graham has been solid for the Ravens the past year and a half. He should be viewed as an average starter going forward.
    Tony Carter (RFA), CB, Broncos. Age: 28. 2 stars
    Tony Carter is a solid nickel corner, but he missed a chunk of the 2013 season with an ankle injury.
    *Me Graham could be a potential starter for the Bears next year, and Carter is a solid nickle. The team needs bodies and they get
    S's:
    Malcolm Jenkins, FS, Saints. Age: 26. 2 stars

Malcolm Jenkins has never lived up to expectations as a former first-round pick, but he has shown flashes at times. He just turned 26, so there's still plenty of time.
    Husain Abdullah, SS, Chiefs. Age: 29. 2.5 stars
    Husain Abdullah started the final two games of the season, and by watching him, it makes you wonder why Andy Reid didn't play him more earlier. Abdullah picked off Andrew Luck twice in a playoff loss.
    Nate Allen, S, Eagles. Age: 26. 2 stars
    Nate Allen has gotten a ton of flak from Philadelphia fans for underachieving as a former second-round pick, but he hasn't been that terrible. He improved a bit in 2013.
    *Me These are fairly young guys that should come cheap and all have upside. Jenkins comes in and automatically starts pushing Conte to become better or become benched, it's not that Jenkins is great, it's that Conte is that bad
    The team now has 2 SS's that can automatically be contributors, and cannot be worse then Major Wrong.

QB
    McCown, I'm not happy about it, but they'll do it if he' comes cheap enough and decides not to take more money elsewhere. I know no one thinks he'll get it, but there are more JJ's and Snyders out there then you think.

OL:
    Britton/Boggs nothing to see here folks, depth, potential starters
    Nex is the draft
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  2. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,306 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    team before the draft:

QB: Cutler/McCown
    RB: Forte/Ford
    OL: Bushrod/Mills/Britton/JLong/Slauson/KLong/JBrown/Boggs
    TE: EBennett/Fendi
    WR: Marshal/Jeffery/MWilson/TTolliver
    DT: Paea/Walker/Collins
    DE: Bennett/Wootton/Bass/CornWash
    LB: Briggs/Bostic/Shea/Greene/DJWIlliams/Humber
    CB: Jennings/Graham/Carter
    FS: Conte/Jenkins
    SS: Abdullah/Allen
    K: Gould
    P: Son of Butthead
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,306 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    The needs for the team have changed a bit, w/the Wootton/Bennett deals DE is no longer a need, but DT/DB/MLB are still a concern.

1st: CJ Mosely, MLB, the team needs a inside lb of the future, and they found out last year that you don't get starting MLB's outside the 1st. Here the team gets a shot to get the top ILB in the draft.
    2nd: DT Aaron Donald DT. The team gets their inside pressence on the DL, and they didn't have to get a guy that was gassed in their bowlgame, or a guy that's coming off a knee surgery w/their 14th pick.
    3rd: Terrance Mitchell CB, another DB added into the mix, all will get a shot to start/pay opposite Jennings
    4th: Tre Boston, FS another DB added to the mix, he'll see playing time
    5th: Kaneakua FrielTE. team needs a guy behind DaOD if Fendi continues to not be able to do anything other then play in practice, and they get a big boy, 6'5" this isn't a starter, but the Bears aren't looking for one, they're looking for depth.
    6th Gabe Ickard, C/G, the team needs a guy that can potentially play C no one knows if it's going to be Slauson, Boggs or a draftee to take over Garza, but someone has to, and this guy might be able to do it. Starting C's don't have to be got early in the draft and he's proof.
    6th Zeke Motta, SS. Might not amount to anything, rarely is someone outside the 4th does, but it's depth.

UDFA: Grab a RB and WR or 2 to compete.

QB: Cutler/McCown
    RB: Forte/Ford/UDFA
    OL: Bushrod/Mills/Britton/JLong/Slauson/KLong/JBrown/Boggs/Ickard
    TE: EBennett/Fendi/Friel
    WR: Marshal/Jeffery/MWilson/TTolliver/UDFA/UDFA
    DT: Paea/Walker/Collins/Donald
    DE: Bennett/Wootton/Bass/CornWash
    LB: Briggs/Bostic/Shea/Greene/DJWIlliams/Humber/Mosely
    CB: Jennings/Graham/Carter/Mitchell
    FS: Conte/Jenkins/Boston
    SS: Abdullah/Allen/Motta
    K: Gould
    P: Son of Butthead
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,306 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    forgot about
    FB: Tony F
    LS, get one in UDFA or FA, not going to bother trying to look them up, and their not expsensive.

and I believe that's 52 on the roster, the team can always grab another teams cut group to upgrade an area that's thin or not working out, and I'll assume that's what they'll do to keep SOME cap room like they did this year.
  5. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Not a bad list, if we could get

Bennett
    Byrd
    Abdullah
    DJ Wills
    Collins
    Ratliff
    Melton - only if he comes cheap
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,360 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    390ß
    Great work, Ric. I agree in seeing Bennett as our best and most realistic FA need filler.
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,306 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    Thanks M, the team just doesn't have cap money to spend this year, and their money guy this year said the NFL trend will be 1-3 year deals for FA, so I think that outside maybe 1-2 guys who will get 3-4 year deals it's going to be 1-2 years.

BearClaw, Byrd isn't coming to chicago, he's stated he wanted to be the highest paid S, and that means 9mil a year. I thought about Melton/Ratliff, but Ratty's going to be considered to old, and Melton between inj and his off the field bar brawl, and the fact that the team has said they weren't happy w/his work ethic regarding rehab is going to be a long shot. I know I said DJ, but really he's 31 and likely won't come back; if he does he'll be the lone exception to the getting younger. And that's only b/c he's played EVERY LB potion, OLB, ILB in both 3-4 and 4-3, and even that is a 1yr deal.
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,360 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    390ß
    I thought DJ stated that he wants to come back? Seems like he'd be cheap and decent for 1 yr. I agree that Melton's return to the Bears isn't looking very likely right now.
    I'd love to get Ward @ SS in addition to Bennett but that may not happen cap-wise.
  9. latorreedgar

latorreedgar Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    From your mouth to God ears. I love that draft
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,306 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    Lat, since the offseason I've been looking at S or DT at 14, but the reality is that MLB/ILB position, regardless of 4-3/3-4/bybrid is the #1 need on this team, and if the top MLB is on the board, why would the team not grab him? if you go back and look at the NFL's top lb's in any given year you will not normally see a MLB that was not drafted in the mid first or higher, and again Bostic is proof that you just don't get a starting MLB in the 2nd or later rounds. So I just cannot see them NOT taking a MLB at 14 if they stay there, especially when the rest of the draft is so deep at DL/DB.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,360 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    390ß
    Generally true I believe but wasn't Alonso a 2nd rounder last year?
  12. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    I like it. There are any number of ways to improve this Defense that I would be happy with, but this is certainly one of them.
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,306 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    There are always exceptions, but they are exceptions for a reason. Last year I went back to 2000, and looked up the top 10 MLB's of each year, so ya there is overlap but that's going to happen, but it also shows staying power. the VAST majority of top 10 mlb's were all top 20 picks. I did it for the OL also, the only the T had a vast majority of 1st round top 10 guys, most G's were 2-4th and most C's were 5-UDFA.

This year might be different b/c apparently it's very quality deep. But That goes for DT/DE/CB/S also. I don't know about the MLB so much b/c I really haven't looked into it until just now, I'll have to do some more reading about the MLB class this year.
  14. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    I have. If we want a "real" top notch MLB this year, then we better pick CJ as you suggest (if he's even still there at 14). The next option is Skov from Standford, which is a bit of a drop from CJ, then it drops off big. There are plenty of outside guys, but those that would truly fit in the middle in a 4-3 are few in THIS draft. I have not looked into the options for the 2015 draft. It's possible next year could have a better crop if we want to wait, but as far as this year, the pickins are slim.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,306 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    So trade back scenerio, the Cards wants to make sure they get their pick of the OTs, and know there are at least 2 teams in front of them that are looking at OT's also, so they contact the Bears to trade up, The Bears know that only 1 team behind them is looking at a DL, so they agree, but insist on getting the better deal the point difference between 14 and 20 is about 100-250 points(depending on the chart), so since they are coming from a position of strength they'll get the 250. The Cards are not going to give the Bears their 2nd and their 1st for just the 14th, the points are WAY off, but the Bears could easily get the Cards 3rd and 4th(20th overall in each round)

Same FA:

Bears now have:
    1st 20th pick
    2nd 14th pick
    3rd 14th
    3rd 20th pick
    4th 14th
    4th 20th pick
    5th 14th pick
    6th 7th pick.
    6th 14th picks

Bears Draft:
    Bears now have their choise of the 2nd DT, the 2nd first DE, or 2nd CB, all of which are weighted at least this high.
    1st: Rasheed hagemen DT, the team goes w/a big body in the first
    2nd: Calvin Pryor FS team puts every FS
    3rd Khairi Fortt ILB The Bears go back to the well to try and find a MLB in the mid rounds, this time he'll have 2 guys in front of him in case he's not ready.
    3rd: Terrebce Mitchell CB, the Bears grab another DB to compete.
    4th: Jordan Richards SS, more back 7 help.
    4th: AJ McCcarron, QB, the Bears get a toy for their HC/QB whisperer
    5th: James Wilder JR, RB, he's a big back w/some rec skills, but has some work to do on ball security and technique, and has a concussion on his record, but he's a big kid w/some quickness w/the ability to move a pile.
    6th: David Andrews, C, Team needs a C prospect, even w/Slauson/Boggs and this guy fits the bill, even if it's not this year.
    6th: Jacob Peterson, TE. Team needs a TE prospect that might have some ability beyond the practice field(Fendi!)
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,360 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    390ß
    Thanks, Ric, strong work there. Alonso would have been a better pick than Bostic but I believe Kiko went before we had our 2nd round selection last year, could be wrong about that can't remember. Players like him and LK would definitely be a huge plus for us now.

It strikes me that Emery has to get us starter quality upgrades at DL (prob DE) and S too in free agency. Maybe CB instead of S if Peanut bolts to Tampa. It's really the same problem as we faced a year ago when Phil landed good but not great players in FA who were definite upgrades over what we had at TE and LT. Filling those glaring holes in FA gives you a lot more flexibility and unpredictability in the draft. For instance, the option of going after a MLB prospect in round 1. We could still get a quality DT in the 2nd.

Like I've said before, Emery has a ton of cap flex options if there's FAs he likes. The current "number" of ~ $12m is not static and room can be made as needed. Signing a DE like Bennett and a starter S would help immensely.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I'll be interested to see were Louis Nix goes in the draft.

If we are going to be a 4-3/3-4 hybrid next year, we'll need a DT that can play ether the 1 or 3 technique. From what I can see he's the only top 3 or 4 DT who fits that bill.

Since his stock seems to be falling, could he last to our pick in the 2nd round?
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,306 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    dachuckster, I think Nix's biggest neg right now is the knee inj. Knee's/Leg's are the first to go on a bigman, and it kills their ability. Nix will have to prove that knee isn't an issue, AND that he's every bit as good as the other top DT's in the mid to late 1st otherwise he'll fall fast.
  19. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Not a bad scenario. Keep in mind, however, that I don't think the Bears do not have the 14th pick in the rounds subsequent to the 1st. There are other teams with the same record that alternate. At least I believe that is the case; could be wrong. That said, it doesn't really have a dramatic bearing on early draft speculation that we're all doing now.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,306 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    4th, I'm just going off what the draft game showed, which was the 14th pick for the Bears throughout. Thanks for the info, I'll try and find a more reliable source.

okay found another site that shows the Bears have
    1st rd 14th
    2nd rd 18th
    3rd rd 17th
    4th rd 16th
    5th rd 15th
    6th 6th and 14th

But I cannot find anything that just says the Bears have picks 1-32 of each round other then mock draft sites so this could be wrong also. 4 picks isn't going to change much though, especially in the latter rounds so I'll stick w/my guns on the drafts; thanks for the update though 4th.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014