Mock Offseason 1.0

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Jan 17, 2014.

1. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I know about Nix's knee and don't think he will go in the first 2 or 3 rounds if there is a real question about his durability.

My post assumed a solid recovery from the injury. He had a torn meniscus. I don't think this is prone to re-injury like other knee injuries.

The only other DT I really like so far in the draft is Ra'Shede Hageman and I think he may be gone by the time we pick at 14.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,621 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,823ß
    as far as talent goes, barring inj concerns I don't know that you can find a better guy in the draft to plug a hole in the middle; he'll no doubtedly be picked up by a 3-4 team if there is one before 14 in need of a NT.
  3. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    A lot of the mock drafts have the first DT being taken as low as #15 (Steelers). I think the DTs will go earlier and just hope there is a legitimate big body DT available to us.

Trying to flip between a 4-3 and a 3-4 requires a talented and athletic line (and at least one real monster for a NT).
  4. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,617 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    678ß
    It looks like AJ McCarron is going to slide pretty late, but Mel Kiper has him as "the next Chad Pennington"(while also mentioning that Bill Parcells' favorite QB he's ever coached was Chad Pennington), so it might make sense to pick him up in the 4th or whatever.

Also, IDK about anyone else, but I think Frey will improve enough to take over the nickelback and not just because of injury, so we might get by with only needing to draft one or two cornerbacks and one safety (assuming we pick up another one in FA).

With all that said, I'm not predicting where or when we draft whom, but giving what I think is the list of positions that need upgraded by priority for both FA and the draft:

NT
    DT
    DE
    SS
    CB
    FS
    TE
    QB
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,621 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,823ß
    The real question becomes where is the depth in the draft? You need to hedge your bet if you need multiple starters/playmakers then you need to base your draft how to get those, not just the best 1 of those needs in the first.
  6. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +748 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    91ß
    Exactly right. At this point, spit balling is about the best we can do. Hell there are going to be guys moving up or down by "rounds" and not just individual "picks". I think I referenced Kony Ealy as someone we might be interested in for our 2nd round pick (based on scouting reports and mocks I had seen), now I see a couple having him as a top 10 pick. WTF?
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,621 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,823ß
    It's impossible to know where someone is going to go in this draft; we'll have a better idea after the combine.