Mock offseason 2.0

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Jan 21, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,795 / 5 / -4
    I'll center this Mock around the idea that Emery will want to sign his own young players first and foremost hoping to keep it cheap.

Cut: Peppers, EBennett, Weems, Bush, Podlesh
    Re sign: qb Cutler, qb McCown, Slauson G/C, te Fendi, fb Fiametta, dt Melton, dt Collins, DE Wootton, CB Bowman, OT Britton, G/C Boggs
    Other FA signs: Everson Griffen DE, age 26, Brandon Spikes, ILB, age 26, whoever you can get at LS
    Team before draft
    QB: Cutler, McCown
    OT: Bushrod/KLong/Mills/Britton/JLong,
    OG: Slauson/Brown/Long/Boggs
    OC: Boggs/Slauson
    TE: Bennett/Fendie
    RB: Forte/Ford/Fiametta
    WR Marshal/Jeffery/Wilson/Tolliver
    DT: Melton/Collins/Wootton
    NT: Paea/Collins
    DE: Wootton/Griffen/Bass/Cornwash
    LB: Briggs/Shea/Bostic/Greene/Spikes
    CB: Jennings/Bowman
    S: Conte/Frey
    P Son of Butthead
    K Gould
    LS FA(name one)

Draft:
    Trade back:
    Bears give up some points, but trade for Cincy's 1st 24th, 3rd 88th and 4th 119th
    1st 24th Justin Gilbert CB. The Bears solidified their DL by resigning Melton/Collins and Wootton, and brining in Everson Griffen, so they spend their first on a starting CB opposite Jennings, and they still have Bowman as a nickle/backup.
    2nd 55th Shayne Skov, ILB, Bears have Spikes, but nothing screams starter, so the Bears try and fill this need again in the 2nd here.
    3rd 82nd Vinnie Sunserie SS, The Bears get a potential starting SS.
    3rd 88th Tre Boston, CB/FS Bears add depth to CB and put Conte on notice w/this duel threat, Emery like guys w/versatility and he has it.
    4th 113th Rory Anderson, TE, a big 6'5" guy that can be a legit backup to the Bears if Fendi doesn't work out when people can actually hit him.
    4th 119th Logan Thomas, QB, Emery/Trestman, cannot remember but they said the ideal size for a qb is 6'5", well this guy sits over that, and now he gets 3 years to hone his craft and learn the position before he has to worry about playing.
    5th 153 Chris Davis CB, CB depth, and potential return man.
    6th 175 Isaiah Johnson SS more SS depth
    6th 188 Chaz Sutton, DE, DE depth.

UDFA Signings: Marcus Coker RB, bears get a potential line mover, Chris Thomas, RB(speed/potential change of pace guy), Andrew Miller, C, team still needs a potential C for the future, Jalen Saunders WR(speed WR), Kyle Christie P, Ashton Doresy DT, Mister Cobble, NT, Braden Hansen G/C, big kid that fits the G mold Kromer wants

Team after draft:

QB: Cutler/McCown/Thomas
    OT: Bushrod/KLong/Mills/Britton/JLong
    OG: Slauson/Brown/KLong/Boggs/Hansen
    OC: Boggs/Miller/Slauson TE: Bennett/Anderson/Fendie
    RB: Forte/Ford/Fiametta/Coker/Thomas
    WR Marshal/Jeffery/Wilson/Tolliver/Suanders
    DT: Melton/Collins/Wootton/Dorsey
    NT: Paea/Collins/Cobble
    DE: Wootton/Griffen/Bass/Sutton/Cornwash
    LB: Briggs/Shea/Bostic/Greene/Skov/Spikes
    CB: Jennings/Gilbert/Bowman/Boston/Davis
    S: /Sunserie/Boston/Conte/Frey/Johnson
    P Son of Butthead/Christie
    K Gould
    LS FA(name one)

56 guys, 3 to the PS and a cut w/Thomas rb, Davis CB, Johnson S, G Hansen cut SoB or Christie.

The team decides to give the DL another shot to try and stay healthy only brining in 1 new buy to replace Peppers, and center on fixing the back 7 w/a new ILB and all new DB's, they also add depth to C, TE and give Trestman a qb toy to play with. Oh and thats right folks, the team decides to give KLong a try and RT incase Mills doesn't show improvement, if Mills is showing capable Long will go back to G, if not Brown and Boggs will fight out for G opposite Slauson.
  2. 4dabers

4dabers

Ratings:
    +440 / 0 / -0
    I really applaud all your effort here Ric. Some of your moves are probably not the direction I would go, but I understand that you are merely providing a 2.0 version and it's a viable approach. Our Defense needs to get much better and there is no ONE WAY to do it right, there are many options. I actually really like all your draft selections through the 3rd round, although Tre Boston could likely be had later, but it's so early in this process, he could end up with a 2nd round grade by the time its all said and done, so who the hell am I to say. I'm not much in favor of the direction you've gone from the 4th round on, but like I said, it's only an opinion on 1 variation of the "get better" approach.

Regardless, well done, there is a lot of work shown above this and I appreciate you and all others that provide these thoughts for us to chew on.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,795 / 5 / -4
    Thanks 4dabers,

None of these mocks I did or will do, do I believe the Bears will do. I'm just giving options on what they COULD do. We really won't know where these guys might go until after the combine/pro days so I'm just going off Walter Football, it's the one I personally like b/c of how easy it is to move around, so Ya Tre could go later or earlier, same w/everyone else. Chances are Logan Thomas will probably go MUCH later, imo I think he will, if he gets drafted at all, but I want to stick w/where the site I'm using has him going.

There is a strong belief that the Bears can ONLY draft D players in this draft; AND that DE/DT have to be the first 2 picks, I'm just trying to show that it doesn't have to be that way.

The Bears DL was doing pretty good against the run before the inj rash, and the problem w/qb sacks was b/c of Peppers/Shea, who will no longer be on the DL; so I could see them trying to bring in a new FA DE(not sure DaOD's bro will want to come here now that he's on a team that went to a SB, OR that the Bears can afford him) and then bring back everyone else and along w/Bass/Corny expect to have better results. That would allow the team to work on the real problem, MLB and DB. This would also leave 1 player on the D over 30(Briggs), I believe.

This also shows that the team doesn't HAVE to draft all D to get real results; nor will any team ever draft ALL 1 side of the ball, the team WILL draft some O talent, if not qb/te, they'll draft a OL, RB or WR, and they can still get depth guys on D later in the draft(IF they trade back).

When I get a chance I'll do another version of this mock w/out the trade back and it will less O early.
  4. mdbearz

mdbearz

Ratings:
    +254 / 0 / -0
    The Bears are cursed when it comes to drafting Safeties. I would say draft DT and go FA safety.

For one thing you can land a starting quality Safety for much less than a Starting DT, so I tend to believe that they will draft a DT in the first or second round. While I do see that you have BOTH Melton and Collins coming back, I tend to believe that is a disaster waiting to happen because both of those guys left with pretty serious injuries

DEs are expensive too, and the better ones are found in the earlier rounds.

I think it comes down to best bang for the buck.

It is hard to argue against a CB in the draft, and if Gilbert is there later in the first round (if we trade back), then he would be a great pick.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,795 / 5 / -4
    im not sure melton collins will cost much bc of those injs and both capable of playing at a high level. while rookies will be cheaper and a starting quality fs/ss might not be depending on what melton collins cost. griffen also is not going to demand top dollar.

ill keep the points in mind for my next mock though
  6. butkus3595

butkus3595

Ratings:
    +253 / 0 / -0
    Nice work ric. Did sunseri tear up his knee? Colvin just tore his acl at the senior bowl...wouldn't mind spending a late round pick on him and put him on scholarship for a year.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS

Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for sharing. I think Melton is a huge question mark and what he will want to return. As a starting point I looked at Franchise player annual salary and DE is about approx $350K more than a CB (Basically a push) and DT is significantly more than Safety ( approx. $2MM) thus I was looking at going the other way and drafting a DE in RD 1, ILB in rd 2, and DT in rd 3. For F/A rather than Melton invest in CB like Verner from Tennesee, figure they will be close in money, and should be able to get a Safety for less than a DE.

Draft :

rd 1 best DE avail: Ealy or Truit
    rd 2 Best ILB avail : Skov, Smallwood, Borland, (need to get 1 of them) Could gamble and get a better DT but may miss out on starting ILB _____ Thats why Emery gets the big Bucks
    rd 3 BEST DT avail: Will Sutton, DaQuan Jones, Anthony Johnson.
    Rd 4 Best CB avail: Boston as you mentioned is viable
    rd 5 Best OC avail: Marcus Martin USC
    rd 6 and 7. Fill in the holes with best avail. TE, S, CB. OL, DL.

I looked at it from the opposite direction. Good comparisons though. As you say I do not expect it to stay like this either but planning ahead dont hurt.

PS. I like Draft Countdown for player rankings. I have followed for many years and at the end of the day Scott Wright seems to be the most accurate on his rankings..

:14_6_16[1]::14_6_12[1]::10_5_135[1]:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I don't want Skov in the second. We need somebody good in coverage and that is not his strong suit. I'd gladly take him later but not that early. I very much appreciate the work though, Ric.
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,795 / 5 / -4
    starting quality MLB's are not coming later then the 2nd, so that is Mosley or Skav, first one I did was Mosley so I went Skov this time. Its easy to want to take DE/DT and it seems to be the consensus so I'm trying to show it could be done other ways.

butkus I really don't follow college football too much, other then what I read, and I haven't read to much about Sunseri or Pryor having inj's, I didn't read it, but I didn't look that deep either.

BSB, that is actually what my next Mock will be, getting DB help via FA and going strong on MLB/DL.

Zel, depends on what we run and what the team is trying to do, what we won't have is a cover 2(Emery all but said that) so the MLB might not need to cover near the ground they have in the past)
  10. butkus3595

butkus3595

Ratings:
    +253 / 0 / -0
    Check out Khalil Mack from buffalo. Kid is a stud linebacker. Had 9 tackles 2 sacks and an int return for a td against Ohio state.
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,795 / 5 / -4
    Ya I've seen Mack on a lot of scouting/mocks, but I'll be suprised if he's there at 14. If he is then the Bears would be foolish not to jump on him.
  12. butkus3595

butkus3595

Ratings:
    +253 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't be shocked either way...the draft is funny.
  13. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Skov was a blitzing linebacker at Stanford. Coverage was not his game. That's my reason to be hesitant.
  14. 4dabers

4dabers

Ratings:
    +440 / 0 / -0
    Mack is a helluva player, but is he a Mike backer in a 4-3? I dunno. He will likely be a stud wherever he goes, but is he hyped a bit too much? Not sayin, just sayin.
  15. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH

Ratings:
    +39 / 1 / -0
    I'm not sure if that is the offseason I'd want to see tbh
  16. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,795 / 5 / -4
    German, really me either, and I don't expect it to be what happens. But again, remember that minus the pass rush, the DL was holding together just fine in the run game and what they did lack was sacks b/c Peppers/Shea/Wootton weren't getting there enough. I think Woottton would have been fine eventually Shea was on the field more then any other D player this year other then Jennings, that won't be a problem for the DL this year, and you've replaced Shea w/Bass who actually played pretty well, for awhile I saw he was ranked around 25th for DE's. You also replace Peppers w/Griffen who had 8 sacks last year.

Not sure what's not to like about a completely overhauled set of DB's though, it was the major issue last year and if the team is going to be more agressive you need guys that can actually cover and not just rely on the front 4 to get pressure to force the qb to makes mistakes eventually. Remember all of this is just an exercise in what MIGHT happen, and I still think that D is more then capable of playing at a average level. but again not my favorite offseason either, just be prepared anything w/Emery.

Zel, again we don't know what the D scheme will be, it's possible our MLB WILL blitz more, actually DJ WIlliams in 6 games has 2 sacks and 3 stuffs, so he was playing in the backfield a lot, its very possible that Tucker wants his MLB to blitz.

As for Mack, the one thing he has going for him that Emery will want is "versatility" the scouting report I read on him said he could play every LB position in both a 3-4 and a 4-3. If the Bears do want to run a hybrid, or do switch to a 3-4 eventually he'd be pretty helpful.
  17. ZifanQ

ZifanQ SuperFan

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    And cursed when it came to drafting oline in first round but that worked out pretty well this time? New Era!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. butkus3595

butkus3595

Ratings:
    +253 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, with his size and speed he can play anywhere. He has 2 int returns for td's, and 11 sacks this year, as well 75 career tackles for a loss and 16 forced fumbles, we could do a lot with him scheme wise. I do think he'd be a better fit in a 3-4 though...but he does remind of a certain someone who rushed the passer well from the lb spot.
  19. mdbearz

mdbearz

Ratings:
    +254 / 0 / -0
    Didn't we just miss on a S/CB in Bradon Hardin?

I think the curse is firmly still in place.
  20. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,795 / 5 / -4
    hardin came pre inj'd though didn't he. That's the curse, the Bears cannot take pre inj'd guys, which is what scares me about Nix.
    • Agree Agree x 1