Mock offseason 3.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Jan 27, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,666 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    593ß
    So some things I've heard over the last week, and find accurate are going to account into this mock:
    1) DE/DT are more expensive in FA then DB, so I'll add more legit starter options here then on the DL.
    2) Emery so far has shown a propensity to sign 1-2 year potential starter guys while the young players develop, so while there might be 1 or 2 3-4 contract guys, it's going to be short contracts for boarderline guys for the most part
    3) things are definately pointing to a hybrid or flat scheme switch on D.
    4) Def centered draft does not mean ALL def.
    5) deep draft, one mocker scored a full 7 rounds of players w/draftable grades, last year he said he barely got 3 rounds, part of that being all the juniors coming out early; this is also going to mean a lot of UDFA potential help for depth. That doesn't mean that there aren't weak areas, and ILB and S are 2 of them.

Cuts: Peppers, Bush, EBennett, Weems, Podlesh
    Already re-signed: Cutler, Fiametta, Slauson
    Bear re-sign:
    Collins 1yr deal he's cheap, cheaper then what he should have been b/c of inj, good depth and the team likes him.
    Wootton 4yr deal showed that V word that Emery likes so much, they know he can play 4-3 DE and DT(not great but can) and probably can play 3-4 DE.
    Bowman, 1yr deal team needs a nickle/potentail starter and he stepped in admerably when Tillman went down.
    Mannely, team will look to sign a 1yr deal with him.
    DJ 1yr deal, he actuall played really well last year before inj, he won't demand or cost much b/c of that inj and he can play ever LB position in both schemes.
    McCown 1yr deal
    Boggs 2yr deal
    FA signs:
    Chris Clemons SS, age 28. 2yr deal, He's a good coverage guy that the Bears need and should be a solid starter for the next several years.
    Darrell Stuckey SS, age age 27, 2yr deal, nothing special depth guy.
    Rafael Bush, FS, age 27. 2yr deal, again nothing special, depth guy.

Team before the draft
    QB: Cutler/McCown
    RB: Forte/Ford
    OT: Bushrod/Mills/JLong
    OG: Slauson/KLong/Brown
    OC: Boggs/Slauson
    TE: Bennett/Fendi
    WR: BMarsh/Jeffery/Wilson/Tolliver
    DT/NT Paea/Collins
    DE: Wootton/Bass/Corny
    OLB: Briggs/Shea/Bostic/Greene
    ILB: DJ/Bostic
    CB: Jennings/Bowman
    FS: Conte/Bush
    SS: Clemons/Stuckey

Draft:
    14: Stephon Truitt, DE, the team needs all sorts of line help, but finding a big interior guy will be easier later on then will be a big dominant outside guy, the team doesn't need another DE/OLB tweener, they have plenty so they go w/Truitt.
    2nd round: Deandre Colemen, DT/DE, Big and Versatile, he could be a 3-4 DE or a 4-3 DT this will help spell confusion for the opposing O as they try and figure out what the Bears want to do. This might be to soon for him; but since when does Emery care about reaching?
    3rd round: Dontae Johnson, CB,, Bears need a potential starter at CB, and he could fit the bill, he's also big at 6'2" so that will help when having to face a guy like Megatron in years to come.
    4th round: Xavier Gimble, TE, D has gotten younger and solidified, and now the team needs to look towards the O, they get a legit backup TE and another Big target for Cutler if he can find the field.
    5th round: James Morris, ILB/OLB, Can play both inside and outside and has a penchent for turning the ball over.

6th round: Gabe Ickard, C/OG, The team is still looking for that long term C, and Gabe provides versatility AND that potential down the line.
    6th round: Isiah Johnson, SS coming off surgery hurts him, but he's big and can do multiple things on the field, showing an ability to blitz, and ball hawk. This is potential more then starting material, and no doubt his ability to both blitz and cover will have Emery intrigued.

UDFA, Cody Riggs CB/S, Eric Gordon CB, Michael Campanaro WR, Marcus Coker RB, Kyle Christey P, Casey Pachall QB

QB: Cutler/McCown/Pachell
    RB: Forte/Ford/Coker
    OT: Bushrod/Mills/JLong
    OC: Boggs/Ickard
    TE: Bennett/Gimble/Fendi
    WR: BMarsh/Jeffery/Wilson/Tolliver/Campanaro
    DT/Collins/Truitt
    NT Coleman/Paea
    DE: Wootton/Truitt/Bass/Coleman/Corny
    ILB: DJ/Bostic/Morris
    CB: Jennings/Johnson/Bowman/Riggs/Gordon
    FS: Conte/Bush/Riggs
    SS: Clemons/Stuckey/Johnson
    LS: Mannely
    K Gould
    P SoB, Christey

53 players, cut 1 of the P's, got 52. Probably need to bring in more help after UDFA in the form of ILB's and DB's, which means you can throw Campanaro Riggs and Gordon into the PS.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    Ric, Unless I missed something in your post, where does Hester fit into all this??
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,666 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    593ß
    He's a FA this year and I don't see the team looking for an aged K/P returner only for what he'd cost. btw, this is the last of my mocks until we get a better idea of what FA will bring.
  4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +601 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    475ß
    Good job just a few thoughts based on player rankings, I realize rankings are not error proof and more times that not lower ranked players do just fine in time with that said>>>>
    Truitt and Coleman potentially solid starters, I like these picks.
    Johnson I view as a risk as he is not in the top 20 CB's depending on who's ranking board you look at, Not sure he is a starter or nickel back even, especially as a rookie... like the idea but think may need a solid free agent at CB. Similar thoughts on Morris, Starting to think we may be wise to take a top center with 3rd pick. Getting a sure starter that way. We have Bennett for T/E so do not need immediate starter so I can live with this pick.

Opinions based purely on rankings but I see 2 starters + OC who could start but as I mentioned I am starting to lean towards a top OC in round 3 just so I am not looking for one again next yr. the rest are backups for now. I would like to think we can get starters from our first 4 picks and stronger f/agents to turn this thing around.
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,666 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    593ß
    More then actual players, especially in the middle, is the idea that the position can be had, I honestly know little about college football, I just read about the player I pick and see if he sounds like he would fill the need; if he does, then more then likely another at that same position likely could be substituted for him who would match that same skillset.

I have a firm belief that you do not grab a C before the 4th or 5th round, the vast majority of top C's were not drafted early; maybe that is changing, but it's still sound that you can grab someone to play that position later then you can others. I'd take just about any position in the 3rd before C. For me the draft is all about what you can get where, there are positions that just tend to get taken way earlier then C and OG.
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,666 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    593ß
    trade back scenerio, same FA moves:
    Trade back w/the Browns to 26 (approx 300 point difference) and get their 71st 3rd pick and their 123 4th pick 300 points on the nose.

1st 26th Ryan Schazier LB, from all scouting reports Ive read, none have him listed as ILB or OLB, and all say he has the side to side speed needed to be an imidieate impact player, needs to add weight, and work on his tackling skills, but has good instinct and can cover the field. The Bears need ILB talent and depth, and it's not coming from the mid rounds(see Bostic). Versatility is another key as he can apparently play multiple lb positions.
    2nd 51th Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB This is a bit of a reach, but Emery has no issues w/that and SJB is the tall CB the Bears need to solidify the starting job.
    3rd 71st Anthony Johnson, DT, Big athletic, and explosive he can be the inside pressence the Bears need for years to come.
    3rd 82nd Ed Stinson, DE/DT,
    Big athletic and versitle, can play multiple line positions, is good at stuffing the run and getting after the qb. The Bears in their first 4 picks have revamped the front 7 and now need to add depth to the DB's, TE's, QB, WR and RB position.
    4th 113th AJ McCarron, QB, Bears get a guy that can be a viable backup for years to come, w/the potential to either start in 3-4 years if Cutler doesn't work out, or can become trade fodder for another team to garner more picks, not bad for a fourth round pick.
    4th 123rd Tyler Larsen, C, Bears get a guy that can possibly take over the C position, he's not what anyone would call ideal and has some work to do, but he's big durable and explosive
    5th 153 Corey Moore, SS, Bears still need depth and youth at the S position, and get it w/this kid.
    6th 175 Kaneakua Friel, TE, A big TE w/potential to backup Bennett, he has issues w/his route running, but is there anyone that thinks that this staff cannot fix that issue?
    6th 188 Cody Riggs, CB/S I'm never a fan of FL qb's, but give me the athletes on that team anyday.

UDFA: Coker RB, big bulldozer which neither Forte or Ford are, Jalen Saunders WR, Willie Snead WR, speed WR's which other then Wilson the team lacks maybe one can stick, Dezmond Southward S, Eric Gordon, CB team still needs depth at DB maybe they can stick

QB: Cutler/McCown/McCarron
    RB: Forte/Ford/CokerOT: Bushrod/Mills/JLong
    OC: Boggs/Larsen
    TE: Bennett/Fendi/Friel
    WR: BMarsh/Jeffery/Wilson/Tolliver/Snead/Saunders
    DT: Johnson/Collins/StinsonNT Paea/Johnson
    DE: Wootton/Stinson/Bass/Corny
    ILB: DJ/Schazier/Bostic
    CB: Jennings/Jean-Baptise/Bowman/Riggs/Gordon
    FS: Conte/Bush/Riggs/SouthwardSS: Clemons/Stuckey/MooreLS: Mannely
    K Gould
    P SoB
  7. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    Only issue is Ryan Schazier is listed as a round two player. No more reaching, let get a guy that is placed where he is graded please
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,666 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    593ß
    You won't get an argument about reaching from me; but Emery doesn't seem to share our viewpoints. Also some have him as a rd 2, some have him as a late rd 1. Thing if he goes rd 2, he'd go well before the Bears sniffed him and they need a ILB and it won't come in rds 2-4.
  9. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    I hear you, I only hope we go after a stud DT, as for trading down... I dont mind but i would like more then a extra 3rd and 4th. maybe a mid 2nd and a bottom 4th
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,666 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    593ß
    You are not getting a 2nd round and a 1st for the 14th pick in the draft let alone another pick in the later rounds; and you can also get a stud DT in the 2-3rd rounds a lot easier then you can get a stud linebacker. Anthony Johnson, while he needs some work is a stud.
  11. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +42 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I don't like another rookie as starting LB. We have old Briggs and 2 2nd year guys + a player that can't play as DE and now gets back to play LB. I'd want a more proven option to this corp. LB is a position that could see us taking early, that's true on the other side.

As long as the player is good, I have no problem with it :D
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,666 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    593ß
    It all depends on how FA goes, even if the Bears re sign DJ, or bring in another MLB for a few years, I could still see the need to get a LB early, and go w/the glut of DL and DB's later. I love the guys like Nix/Jernigan and Hageman also, but I wonder if their upside is larger then guys like Johnson or Colemen compared to other positions.
  13. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +342 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    63ß
    It's changing. Half the centers in 2013 were drafted in round 3 or above, and that number is mostly 2nd round picks.

There's only 10 centers drafted in rounds 5 and below, and they are mostly salty veterans. Kelce (6th round 2011) and Dietrich-Smith (UDFA 2009) as the younger ones in that group.

Teams just aren't bothering developing centers anymore. When they need one, they need it immediately. I'm hopeful this Boggs kid can work out for us. Kromer has done it before with De La Puente.
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,666 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    593ß
    WNML, and it might well continue to change, I'm hoping Boggs is the C of the future too, but that will mean he's re signed so I guess we'll have a better idea once FA hits.
  15. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +342 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    63ß
    What they did with Boggs was rare to keep him on the active roster the entire season. To me, that speaks volumes to the optimism Kromer has for the guy. And I think he was on a two year deal. Gonna go check that.

Conversely, poor James Brown got no love on the inactive squad all 2013. I do not expect to see him back this year.
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,666 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    593ß
    All reports are the the team is still high on Brown, but the need for a swing T and a backup C/G was greater and he's just G. I think he'll stick b/c they want to keep 6-8OL, the 5 starters the backups and a couple guys to devop. Right now they have: Bushrod/Mills/JLong at T, Slauson/KLong/Brown at G and no C, assuming they bring back Boggs and Britton that's 8 w/Slauson as the backup C.

Boggs:
    From sporttrac

Year Base S. Bonus Misc. Total Salary
    2013 1,475,000 - - 1,475,000
    2014 ARB
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  17. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +342 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    63ß
    Maybe there is more than one Boggs, but Taylor Boggs made 405,000 in 2013.

Slauson could slide over and play center with Brown filling in at guard, and Garza rarely gets hurt. If Kromer was high on Brown, he'd have dressed him for a game or two. He's a holdover from the previous coaching staff. He's a longshot to make the team. I expect to see a Kromer selected guard on the roster when camp starts.
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,666 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    593ß
    No he really didn't need to dress him even for a few games. youudon't fix 1 position by screwing w/2. Boggs can play G/C, so he takes priority over Brown. Browns only shot is if they move or plan to move Long to T in the next couple years, if he's not moving then Brown goes away regardless, or if Slauson is the long term C option; if that's the case, Boggs is gone. Regardless the team tends to keep 8 OL, and not all of them dress every year.
  19. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +342 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    63ß
    Under normal circumstances, I don't like playing the shell game on the offensive line to cover injuries either.

But, that is how the team addressed the backup center position when Kreutz was here for like 5 years. Garza was the backup center. Kreutz was very durable, and the team considered it a small risk. Garza is very durable. If Kromer thought Brown was anything special or began to think Boggs was not any good, he'd have made it a priority to get Brown dressed on occasion.

Look, I know all this is just reading tea leaves and it's impossible to actually know what a coach feels about a player. But James Brown has started and played 3 full games for the Bears in 2012. There is tape on him, recent tape, and Kromer dressed a guy that has zero experience over him. Slauson was the backup center for the Jets, so we had someone who could snap a ball if Garza went down. And Garza does not go down to injury very often. Add in that Boggs is a Kromer find and Brown is not, I know that coaches are preferential towards their "own" guys. They shouldn't be, but they are.

Just saying Brown is a longshot to make this team.
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,666 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    593ß
    WNML, few fundamental flaws in the thinking here. 1) this isn't Lovie's team, so what they did w/Garza and Kreutz is no longer relevant. 2 I think if the plan to move Slauson to C was ever in the works your scenerio of Brown over Boggs would be legit, and I thought that also, but it appears that's probably more speculation by fans than any actual fact, so they went w/Garza and their backup C who can also play G; which is more functional they then had a swing T on the active roster and a G/C on the active roster.
    Since we are speculating, I could just as easily speculate that Boggs isn't in the teams long term plans since he hasn't been re signed, reality is Brown is still here, and Boggs is set to hit FA unless the Bears offer him a deal; which would have been easy when they signed Jennings, Cutler and Slauson, it's not like they are going to have to work out cap space for Boggs.

It should be interesting regardless, the OL is far from a finished set, they were good, but hardly dominating. Also if everyone is correct and that Kyle will get moved to T, where does that leave Mills and J Long; do they bother re signing Britton? If Long does move to T, that leaves Brown as the only real G on the roster; and we still don't have a C.