Mock offseason 3.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Jan 27, 2014.

1. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +381 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    How they treated the center position with Garza and Kreutz is just one example of this in the NFL. The Jets have Mangold as their center, and their backup center was Slauson. Mangold is a very sturdy durable center, so they too played the odds that he would not get hurt and would have to move a guard into Slauson's spot if that happened.

It is more unusual to carry a dedicated backup center like the Bears did with Boggs. If I am not mistaken, didn't Long have to go to the sideline for an ankle during the season, and didn't they play Britton as the guard? That made Boggs as just a backup center, and I am uncertain that they still would not have slid Slauson over instead of throwing him in there sink or swim. Of course, if they did put Boggs in then what I just typed is not true. Just going off memory here.

I don't think Brown is over Boggs in any scenario on this team. He is on the way out.
  2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +456 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß
    We have much bigger needs than a mlb and we still have Bostic who didn't have a good first year but wasn't susposed to even play yet. Did he misread? Yes. Is that expected for a rookie? Yes. Is it almost impossible to play well with our front getting blocked hat on hat and destroyed even at that? Yes.

We used 2 of our first 3 picks on lbs last year and don't need a high selection at lb just yet. Just my opinion.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,096 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,176ß
    Grizz, I disagree, Emery said Bostic is better suited for OLB, that means there are NO MLB's on the roster, so there are little to no more important positions right now then MLB and DT, DE and CB and S there are at least warm bodies(if not good). MLB and DT have zero.

Ya we used 2 of three on mlb, but LB positions are interchangable at the pro level, unless you're a special athlete, so the Bears have a glut of OLB's and no ILB's, specifically MLB's

WNML, he wasn't a dedicated backup C, he was a C/G, he was backup for 2 positions, and right now he's not on the roster so it's moot point.
  4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +456 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß

Ric, here is a different spin I thought I'd bounce off ya. Maybe Emery has had this plan for 2 years now. If we take a MLB high we must look weather he is a mike or a rick/Luke (a 00/10 or 20/30)
    If we take another rick/Luke (Bostic was a Ilb not mlb that is correct) Theb by my count we have added via draft

Jack (70/60)-Shea
    Luke(20/30)-Bostic
    Rick (20/30)-draftee in question
    Sam(50/60)-Greene

Hmmm....
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,096 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,176ß
    looking at a 3-4, or a hybrid w/a 4-4 front? Ya it's possible. FA will tell us more. I have a feeling they'll try and get DJ back(even though he's older and doesn't define getting younger on D). He doesn't show the teams hand since he's played every LB position and he was playing pretty well before the inj; I still think the team would draft a ILB, but it wouldn't be a priority.

Either way, FA is going to be fun to see what it tells us about their interest in the future.
    • Agree Agree x 1