Mock offseason 3.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Jan 27, 2014.

1. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    120ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I don't like another rookie as starting LB. We have old Briggs and 2 2nd year guys + a player that can't play as DE and now gets back to play LB. I'd want a more proven option to this corp. LB is a position that could see us taking early, that's true on the other side.

As long as the player is good, I have no problem with it :D

2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,896ß
    It all depends on how FA goes, even if the Bears re sign DJ, or bring in another MLB for a few years, I could still see the need to get a LB early, and go w/the glut of DL and DB's later. I love the guys like Nix/Jernigan and Hageman also, but I wonder if their upside is larger then guys like Johnson or Colemen compared to other positions.

3. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    It's changing. Half the centers in 2013 were drafted in round 3 or above, and that number is mostly 2nd round picks.

There's only 10 centers drafted in rounds 5 and below, and they are mostly salty veterans. Kelce (6th round 2011) and Dietrich-Smith (UDFA 2009) as the younger ones in that group.

Teams just aren't bothering developing centers anymore. When they need one, they need it immediately. I'm hopeful this Boggs kid can work out for us. Kromer has done it before with De La Puente.

4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,896ß
    WNML, and it might well continue to change, I'm hoping Boggs is the C of the future too, but that will mean he's re signed so I guess we'll have a better idea once FA hits.

5. weneedmorelinemen

ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    What they did with Boggs was rare to keep him on the active roster the entire season. To me, that speaks volumes to the optimism Kromer has for the guy. And I think he was on a two year deal. Gonna go check that.

Conversely, poor James Brown got no love on the inactive squad all 2013. I do not expect to see him back this year.

6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,896ß
    All reports are the the team is still high on Brown, but the need for a swing T and a backup C/G was greater and he's just G. I think he'll stick b/c they want to keep 6-8OL, the 5 starters the backups and a couple guys to devop. Right now they have: Bushrod/Mills/JLong at T, Slauson/KLong/Brown at G and no C, assuming they bring back Boggs and Britton that's 8 w/Slauson as the backup C.

Boggs:
    From sporttrac

Year Base S. Bonus Misc. Total Salary
    2013 1,475,000 - - 1,475,000
    2014 ARB

#16 riczaj01, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  7. weneedmorelinemen

ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    Maybe there is more than one Boggs, but Taylor Boggs made 405,000 in 2013.

Slauson could slide over and play center with Brown filling in at guard, and Garza rarely gets hurt. If Kromer was high on Brown, he'd have dressed him for a game or two. He's a holdover from the previous coaching staff. He's a longshot to make the team. I expect to see a Kromer selected guard on the roster when camp starts.

8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,896ß
    No he really didn't need to dress him even for a few games. youudon't fix 1 position by screwing w/2. Boggs can play G/C, so he takes priority over Brown. Browns only shot is if they move or plan to move Long to T in the next couple years, if he's not moving then Brown goes away regardless, or if Slauson is the long term C option; if that's the case, Boggs is gone. Regardless the team tends to keep 8 OL, and not all of them dress every year.

9. weneedmorelinemen

ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    Under normal circumstances, I don't like playing the shell game on the offensive line to cover injuries either.

But, that is how the team addressed the backup center position when Kreutz was here for like 5 years. Garza was the backup center. Kreutz was very durable, and the team considered it a small risk. Garza is very durable. If Kromer thought Brown was anything special or began to think Boggs was not any good, he'd have made it a priority to get Brown dressed on occasion.

Look, I know all this is just reading tea leaves and it's impossible to actually know what a coach feels about a player. But James Brown has started and played 3 full games for the Bears in 2012. There is tape on him, recent tape, and Kromer dressed a guy that has zero experience over him. Slauson was the backup center for the Jets, so we had someone who could snap a ball if Garza went down. And Garza does not go down to injury very often. Add in that Boggs is a Kromer find and Brown is not, I know that coaches are preferential towards their "own" guys. They shouldn't be, but they are.

Just saying Brown is a longshot to make this team.

10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,896ß
    WNML, few fundamental flaws in the thinking here. 1) this isn't Lovie's team, so what they did w/Garza and Kreutz is no longer relevant. 2 I think if the plan to move Slauson to C was ever in the works your scenerio of Brown over Boggs would be legit, and I thought that also, but it appears that's probably more speculation by fans than any actual fact, so they went w/Garza and their backup C who can also play G; which is more functional they then had a swing T on the active roster and a G/C on the active roster.
    Since we are speculating, I could just as easily speculate that Boggs isn't in the teams long term plans since he hasn't been re signed, reality is Brown is still here, and Boggs is set to hit FA unless the Bears offer him a deal; which would have been easy when they signed Jennings, Cutler and Slauson, it's not like they are going to have to work out cap space for Boggs.

It should be interesting regardless, the OL is far from a finished set, they were good, but hardly dominating. Also if everyone is correct and that Kyle will get moved to T, where does that leave Mills and J Long; do they bother re signing Britton? If Long does move to T, that leaves Brown as the only real G on the roster; and we still don't have a C.