Monday after Family night event

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Aug 5, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    948ß
    http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2013/8/5/4590326/chicago-bears-training-camp-august-05-open-thread

Chicago Bears Training Camp: August 05 Open Thread
    By Spongie on Aug 5 2013, 10:51a 1

Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports
    Stay connected for news and updates Follow @WindyCGridiron
    ...Words fail me.
    Tweet Share 1 Comment
    The Beloved return to practice in Bourbonnais today, with the session being moved up from its scheduled 3.15pm start time to 11.10am due to expected bad weather in the afternoon.
    Saturday's Family Fest at Soldier Field took its toll, with Kelvin Hayden straining a hamstring (week-to-week), Earl Bennett being evaluated for a concussion (no word yet), rookie DE Cornelius Washington suffering a strained elbow (day-to-day), and both Alshon Jeffery and Julius Peppers being held out for hamstring tightness. On the plus side, Corey Wootton (hip) was able to participate in individual position drills. Check the recap thread here.
    With three days' practice before Carolina (the team breaks camp after Wednesday to travel on Thursday), Isaiah Frey has been turning heads and could benefit from taking advantage of Hayden's absence to fight for a roster spot; possible new #2 blocking TE 6'8" Leonard Pope is a red zone matchup nightmare for DBs; and apparently the Bears offense has been using back-shoulder throws.
    What storylines are you watching for from today's practice?
    Lester A. Smith: Here's a link to the entire Chicago Bears training camp schedule.
    HOWEVA! The Chicago Bears website also has a handy Training Camp FAQ which can be found here.
    Please keep in mind that Open Threads are rated WCG-MA, so you may see a naughty word or two in the comment section. Here's a link to our community guidelines so you know what is still out of bounds. It may be an open thread, HOWEVA! we still should act fairly civilized, we're not Yahoos.
    Now enjoy the open thread!
    Skip Schweickert: Open Thread Responsibly (TM). Also, Tim Tebow is still the best quarterback in the NFL and now I'm just going to sit here and look smug through my narrowed eyes.
  2. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    948ß
    Bushrod is practicing today.
    DJ Williams and Peppers and Hayden out
    Jeffery is dressed

No news about Earl.
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,207 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    245ß
    Thanks for the updates, Ric. I'm not too worried about the injuries except for Bennett's possible concussion. Peppers' need for reps is minimal. Williams and Hayden should be back in a week or two.

If the camp chatter is to be believed, Frey has developed quite a bit from last year where he looked clueless and is making a strong push to be the backup NB. I am glad the OL is back to full strength because that unit definitely needs the reps together for cohesion.
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    948ß
    • [​IMG]
      ESPNChiBears Jeff Dickerson
      #Bears first camp depth chart lists Kyle Long and James Brown as co-No. 1 RGs and Corey Wootton and Shea McClellin as co-No. 1 LDEs.
      6 minutes ago
    • [​IMG]
      OT Jonathan Scott (knee), DL Jamaal Anderson (knee), DE Cornelius Washington (elbow), DE Corey Wootton (hip) are all practicing. #Bears
      22 minutes ago
    • [​IMG]
      Bennett experienced dizziness Saturday night after a helmet to helmet hit with safety Chris Conte. #Bears
      37 minutes ago
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    948ß
    Brown/Long are listed as co starters
    Wootton/Shea are listed as co starters

E Bennett experiencing dizziness. and is not at the practice field.
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,207 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    245ß
    Hate to say it, but sounds like a concussion for Earl. No bueno
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    948ß
    Fendi has had to many drops in this camp according to ZZ just on the score, which is why Pope was brought in.
  8. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    That's too bad about E Bennett. Can he loan somebody his hands until he gets better?
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    948ß
    • [​IMG]
      Nate Collins taking all the No. 1 team reps at three-technique DT. Stephen Paea is dressed for practice. #Bears
      27 minutes ago
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    948ß
    Paea dressed but not praacticing.
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    948ß
    http://www.hubarkush.com/2013/08/05/bears-depth-chart-interesting-at-wr/ag7x5g6/
    Bears depth chart interesting at WR
    Monday, August 5, 2013 1:07 p.m. CDT
    More observations from Kevin Fishbain via Twitter compilation:
    Quick look at Bears unofficial depth chart: undrafted rookie Marcus Rucker listed as No. 5 WR, ahead of Wilson, Aromashodu, Toliver, Weems.
    • Wootton back in team drills. No Peppers, who had hamstring tightness on Saturday. Nate Collins on nickel DL, Frey at CB.
    • Left tackles Jermon Bushrod and Jonathan Scott back at Bears practice. No sign of WR Earl Bennett, who was evaluated for a concussion sat.

Wow, color me suprised that another UDFA rookie WR is ahead of all those guys. Wonder how long that lasts, I haven't even heard his name during the OTA's.
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    948ß
    Per Biggs, Paea is out w/a hip issue....another lower body issue, another hip problem. what the hell?
  13. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,533 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    We need Paea to step up. I hope he can be there when we need him
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    948ß
    Yep I read it's just "Tightness" shouldn't be a problem, by all accounts he's had a great camp.

I'm more worried about our WR depth when a rookie UDFA is making more of an impression then Weems, DA and Wilson, who was supposed to have 2nd round talent.
  15. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,533 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    A problem? Hell, tightness is one of my favorite qualities.
    • Like Like x 4
  16. SERE Bear

SERE Bear Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

Rucker made some great catches on Saturday. I was glad they handed out the roster cheat sheets at the gate because I was forced to look up his # a few times.
    Obviously this large sample size allows me to declare Rucker as a future star! haha Lets look for him in preseason games to see how he does when guys are looking to light him up when he catches the ball. (other than Conte that is)
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    948ß
    http://www.hubarkush.com/2013/08/05/frey-shines-again-in-soggy-bears-practice/ast5bwz/

Frey shines again in soggy Bears practice

By KEVIN FISHBAIN - kfishbain@shawmedia.com - Monday, August 5, 2013 4:06 p.m. CDT
    BOURBONNAIS — Mother Nature forced the Bears to call audibles for the second practice in four days, but head coach Marc Trestman was pleased with how things went in the team's return to Olivet Nazarene Univeristy.

“I thought the players did a good job today of handling change again and handling the off day,” Trestman told reporters in the rain. “We were better today in practice after an off day than we were a week ago after the off day. The energy was very good.”

The Bears pushed Monday’s practice up four hours with inclement weather expected to hit in the afternoon, but rain soaked the final minutes of practice in front of a small crowd.

Last Wednesday, when the Bears followed up an off-day with a practice, they got off to a slow start, but things seemed smooth on Monday.

When team drills began, the Bears’ defense came out in the nickel without Julius Peppers, who rested on Monday after experiencing tightness in his hamstring at Saturday night’s practice. Defensive tackle Stephen Paea was held out of team drills Monday as a precaution because of tightness in is hip.

The changes had Corey Wootton, who returned to full strength after a hip injury, at defensive end and Nate Collins playing on the interior. One of the stars of camp, cornerback Isaiah Frey, picked off a Jay Cutler pass intended for Martellus Bennett, who had slipped on the play.

“He made a play. Whether another player fell down or not he made another play today,” Trestman said about the 2012 sixth-round pick. “He’s shown up each and every day and certainly with Kelvin [Hayden] down now and being week to week his ability to play nickel and play the corner and be part of the mix in finding the best group of DBs and corners that we can, it’s going to be very important.”

On the offensive side of the ball, wide receiver Earl Bennett remained out, as he is still getting rest and evaluation for a concussion, but left tackle Jermon Bushrod returned to full pads. He only participated in team drills, and Trestman said that Bushrod will have to be at 100 percent to play in Carolina on Friday night.

“It’s about easing myself back in and trying to get myself into shape like I was before,” said Bushrod. “It’s just about taking it one day at a time.”
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    948ß
    http://www.hubarkush.com/2013/08/05/bears-training-camp-notebook-august-5/attel27/

Bears Training-Camp Notebook: August 5
    By KEVIN FISHBAIN - kfishbain@shawmedia.com - Monday, August 5, 2013 5:02 p.m. CDT
    In every training camp around the league, a fringe roster player steps up and becomes the story of camp, even if he won't be playing a significant role in the regular season. That happens easily on teams like the Bears, with few juicy headlines or position battles, and it has shined the spotlight on cornerback Isaiah Frey, who had an interception on Monday playing as a first-team nickel.
    Here's what defensive coordaintor Mel Tucker told reporters after Monday's practice about the first-year player out of Nevada:
    "He’s competing well. Isaiah, he’s making quick decisions. He’s playing with confidence, and seems like he’s getting better on a daily basis. That’s what you like to see out of young players.
    "I’m pulling for him because every day he comes out with a great attitude. He’s got a smile on his face. He’s not playing cautious. He’s looking to make plays. He’s doing what he’s coached to do. That’s what you’re looking for out of young players. He’s a great young man, and we’re just really excited about the progress he’s been making out here on a day-to-day basis."
    Defensive backs coach Jon Hoke noticed that Frey is playing confident.
    "He’s been here for a year, he understands the systems and what the position, especially at nickel, has been asked of him, but he’s been extremely productive with what he’s done, but I also think it’s a little bit of it he’s playing with confidence," Hoke said.
    Frey had the opportunity last year to watch and learn from one of the league's top cornerback groupings, something he said has helped him in his development.
    "I learned a lot. I learned that there’s a lot of preparation into what they do," Frey told reporters Monday. "Peanut, Tim and Kelvin, those guys work the hardest probably in the NFL and that’s why they’re able to make the plays they make on Sunday.”
    Here are the other notes from Monday's practice:
    First-team reps: Eben Britton remained the first-team left tackle, as Jermon Bushrod only took part in individual drills on Monday. On the defensive side of the ball, with Stephen Paea out, Nate Collins ran with the first-team D-line in the base and nickel — with Julius Peppers out, Corey Wootton bounced back outside. Collins has had a solid camp and has great battles in pass-rush drills with center Roberto Garza.
    Bostic improving: Rookie middle linebacker Jon Bostic received praise on a run fit he made in team drills. Tucker said Bostic is getting “better and better every day” as he takes over for the injured Williams. “I think he’s playing faster,” Tucker said. “His alignments are better, just more detailed, more precise in what he’s doing.”
    Quick hits: Josh McCown connected with Terrence Toliver a couple times in practice, once for an impressive back-shoulder touchdown. … Shea McClellin blew up a reverse play in the backfield and had another nice spin move around J’Marcus Webb in pass rush drills. ... It wasn't much of a skirmish, but defensive end Kyle Moore and offensive tackle Jordan Mills got into it during some team drills. ... A reserve defensive lineman to watch going forward in preseason games: undrafted rookie Zach Minter. Minter has shown impressive speed and strength for his size (6-1, 297 pounds) and had a would-be sack when the second-team offense was in the two-minute drill.
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    948ß
    http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2013/8/5/4591228/chicago-bears-training-camp-8-5-recap

Chicago Bears Training Camp: 8/5 Recap
    By Lester A. Wiltfong Jr.@wiltfongjr on Aug 5 2013, 2:44p 9

With a threat of storms in the area this afternoon, the Chicago Bears moved up their practice to an 11:15 am start time. Here's the recap of all the good stuff from the practice.
    The exciting news for the day has to be the release of the first unofficial depth chart from the Chicago Bears. You can read all about it right here.
    Wide receiver Earl Bennett remains out with concussion like symptoms. Defensive tackle Stephen Paea sat out with some hip tightness. Defensive end Julius Peppers was not practicing, nor did corner Kelvin Hayden. Linebacker D.J. Williams is still out, and he's still in a walking boot.
    Tackles Jermon Bushrod and Jonathan Scott were both back at practice, as was DE Corey Wootton. Bushrod was only participating in individual drills, Eben Britton started off with the ones at LT.
    Now on to some Tweets!
    Zach Zaidman @ZachZaidman
    TE Fendi Onobun with a red zone TD catch followed by an emphatic jam over the crossbar. He played college basketball at Arizona.
    12:37 PM - 5 Aug 2013
    6 Retweets 7 favorites

Zach Zaidman @ZachZaidman
    6-5 WR Terrance Toliver with two TD catches in traffic in the red zone drill.
    12:35 PM - 5 Aug 2013
    2 Retweets 5 favorites

Brad Biggs @BradBiggs
    #Bears coach Marc Trestman says LT Jermon Bushrod could play Fri night at Carolina but only if he is 100 pct
    1:47 PM - 5 Aug 2013
    3 Retweets 1 favorite

Jeremy Stoltz @BearReport
    Kromer rotating again: Webb at LT, Britton at RT. #Bears
    12:17 PM - 5 Aug 2013

Jeremy Stoltz @BearReport
    Joe Anderson w/ first team in place of Bennett. Isaiah Frey at nickel in place of Hayden. #Bears
    12:01 PM - 5 Aug 2013
    1 Retweet

Adam Hoge @AdamHoge
    Jon Bostic still needs to work on getting enough depth when dropping back in coverage. Offense finding holes.
    12:52 PM - 5 Aug 2013
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    948ß
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4684451/bears-release-preseason-depth-chart

Bears release preseason depth chart
    Aug 5
    5:06
    PM CT
    By Michael C. Wright and Jeff Dickerson | ESPNChicago.com

Jerry Lai/USA TODAY SportsThe Bears list rookie Kyle Long as a co-starter at right guard on their first depth chart of the preseason.
    BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- The Chicago Bears released their unofficial depth chart heading into Friday's preseason opener against the Carolina Panthers, and aside from the club designating co-starters at two positions, there weren't any surprises.

At right guard, the team listed James Brown and rookie first-round pick Kyle Long as co-starters. At left end, the club did the same with Corey Wootton and second-year man Shea McClellin, a first-round pick in 2012. It appears Brown and Wootton are set to start in the exhibition opener, provided the latter is healthy, considering the defensive end recently suffered a hip injury.

"I think everybody is (excited) in terms of getting the chance to compete against somebody else besides ourselves," Bears coach Marc Trestman said. "And we'll get a chance to take a look at certainly some of the young guys and some of the new guys, and get involved in the competitive process at another level. They'll get a chance to play under the lights against a different team, in a different environment, and that will all be a part of the evaluation."

The Bears listed three players from the 2013 draft class on the second team on defense, including linebackers Jon Bostic and Khaseem Green and defensive end Cornelius Washington, who is listed behind co-starters Wootton and McClellin.

Two more from the draft class -- receiver Marquess Wilson and right tackle Jordan Mills -- are listed on the third team.

Devin Hester.

"It's something we have to discuss in the staff meetings still," Bears special teams coach Joe DeCamillis said. "We'll start talking about playing time a little bit more. We really haven't discussed it to get it firm, but we'll see. I don't know what (Trestman's) thoughts are on it yet to be honest with you."

• Recently signed tight end Leonard Pope produced a solid showing as a blocker during inside drills against the defensive linemen. Apparently, the tight end caught the eye of Trestman as a pass blocker, too.

"I watched him out there today catching the ball. Certainly what we see is clear. We see a big man," Trestman said of the 6-foot-8, 264-pound Pope. "I thought he caught the ball very well today in the little time that we had individual (drills). He's still learning the offense, the snap counts. We've got a lot of variations. We can't slow down for him so what we're trying to do is give him opportunity, within the framework of practice, to execute a play with the things he does know. I think (tight ends coach) Andy (Bischoff) is doing a good job of moving him around."

• Mills held his own against McClellin in one-on-one drills between the offensive and defensive lines. McClellin, meanwhile, blew past J'Marcus Webb with a spin move during those drills.

• After struggling for the past week, tight end Fendi Onobun put together a strong showing during Monday's workouts. After catching a pass over the middle for a touchdown during a red zone drill, Onobun dunked the ball through the uprights, which is fitting considering the tight end played four years of college basketball at Arizona before playing football for only one year at Houston.

Despite the limited experience in college, Onobun was a sixth-round pick by the St. Louis Rams in 2010.

• Cornerback Sherrick McManis delivered a pair of hard hits during passing drills on Monday. McManis was a standout last season for the Bears on special teams where he compiled 10 tackles in just 12 games before landing on injured reserve with a torn knee ligament.

Nate Collins lined up with the starters at defensive tackle in place of Stephen Paea (hip). The Bears liked enough of what Collins showed in 2012 to re-sign him in the offseason to a one-year minimum deal. Collins had 13 tackles in nine games for the Bears after spending his first two seasons in the league with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

• Kicker Robbie Gould nailed both of his field-goal attempts in the two minute drill to conclude the non-walk thru portion of practice. Gould has been near perfect all of camp and is completely recovered from offseason surgery to repair a ruptured semitendinosus tendon his calf.

• Inclement weather forced the Bears to move up practice from 3:15 p.m. to 11:15 a.m.