Moon Mullin: Jimmy Clausen earns a trip to Bourbonnais with Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jun 19, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,339 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    Good news. I'd really like to see Clausen turn out to be a great pickup for us. Looks like he could be a solid fit for the Trestman WCO.

• Like Like x 2
  2. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +800 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    I like it. Hopefully he will end up as Cutty's backup.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,206 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    245ß
    Since the team has made mention of keeping 3 QBs on the final roster, hopefully both Clausen and Palmer will end up as Cutty's backup (in whatever order). Fales seems headed to the PS which he should be able to make if he throws as many ducks in preseason as he reputedly has done in practices so far.

I know he cost "just a 6th round pick" but had the team knew Clausen was going to be available and healthy, I would have rather them use that pick elsewhere. 6th round QBs = waste of time IMO. At other, less demanding positions you can sometimes find decent players even that late in the draft.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +800 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4692820/clausen-expected-to-stick

Jimmy Clausen expected to stick

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Chicago Bears coach Marc Trestman revealed Thursday that the club was looking to trim its roster of five quarterbacks as mandatory minicamp concluded, and he expects recent addition Jimmy Clausen to be one of the signal callers to stick.

“We’re going through the process today of trying to work a little bit with our roster,” Trestman said. “I think that Jimmy has competed, and done a good job for the time that he’s been here. I expect that he’ll be with us.”
    Trestman declined to go into details about potential roster moves because the team hasn’t yet completed them, but the expectation is the Bears will release at least one of the quarterbacks on the roster.

“We’re really going through finalizing and finishing the process with some roster movement today,” Trestman said. “It’s not complete yet, so I think it would be [in]appropriate to talk about it at this moment.”

Signed just 10 days before the start of minicamp, Clausen spent his first few days with the Bears at Halas Hall taking a cram session with the coaches in an attempt to learn the offense. Although Trestman and general manager Phil Emery expressed confidence in current No. 2 quarterback Jordan Palmer as Jay Cutler's primary backup, Clausen, a former second-round pick of the Carolina Panthers, caught the staff’s attention during the three-day minicamp, while Palmer appeared to struggle.

Palmer had missed time during organized team activities recovering from a strained right pectoral muscle.

At the end of minicamp, Chicago’s roster featured Palmer, Clausen, Jerrod Johnson and rookie sixth-round pick David Fales behind Clausen.

Trestman said Clausen’s performance over a short period with the Bears extended beyond what the quarterback did on the practice field.

“No. 1 is how he handled the room. That room is hugely important; the chemistry, the karma, whatever you want to call it,” Trestman said. “In that room, the communication’s got to be good. Jimmy’s done a very good job, very maturely fit in and taken the place of trying to learn and work to learn the offense. He’s grinded at it. He spent long hours here. He’s had help from the guys in the room to get him to the place he is today. So we’ll see. We’re going through the process of working with our roster. I think he’ll be one of the guys that we do bring back, and we’ll take it one day at a time when we get to training camp.”

Clausen signed a one-year contract worth $645,000 with no signing bonus, and immediately stiffened the competition for the job of No. 2 quarterback. At 26, Clausen is a relatively young quarterback with experience as a starter.

The team likes Clausen's football smarts, and mechanics. Clausen's mental toughness also played into the team's decision to sign him. Clausen started 10 games as a rookie in 2010, but threw for three touchdowns and nine interceptions in 13 total contests played.

Headed into his fifth NFL season, Clausen has thrown 284 more passes than Palmer, with 147 more completions for 1,499 yards.

--------------------
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,942 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    TiT, Trust in Trestman.

not a fan of Clausen, was a over rated D-Bag in college and over rated when he got drafted, but if Tresticles likes him, then ok.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,339 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    The guy could flourish in the Trestman WCO. The only downside is that if he does perform well here, he'll quickly go to a starting job like McCown did. But I guess that's a good problem to have (the guy has success here).
  7. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +317 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    If we will constantly lose backup QBs, how do we turn that into a positive? Could we sign them to a two year deal and then trade them for mid round draft choices?
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,942 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    1) if we are constantly losing backup QB's, then that probably means that Cutlers is constantly getting hurt, and the team should have moved on from him
    2) it's a testimant to Trestman and his system if the backups constantly look that good.
    3) solve it by drafing a young legit backup qb who could someday develop into the starter or be traded or picks.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,206 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    245ß
    These are vet minimum type guys, no big deal.
  10. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,495ß
    I think until Fales has gone through camp and a few quarters in a preseason game we won't know exactly what we have in him. It's pretty obvious that he has a lot to learn and the PS is the right place to do that. Emery said that whenever possible he'd try to draft a QB in each draft and I'm not uncomfortable with him spending late round picks on guys with some degree of promise. They may not ever be starting material but over time they could make good backups.

From the very start I suspected that Clausen was brought in to be competition for Palmer. Here too Emery was simply following through on what he'd committed himself to all spring long. They looked at a few different guys and in Clausen apparently found what they were looking for in another vet QB to add to the mix. He hasn't been here long so apparently he did enough in the OTAs and mini-camp to earn some respect from Cutler as well and to me that was always a key to him being asked to come to camp.

I'm not buying into the BS that was in that rather negative article about the Bears. I'm not expecting Cutler to miss a significant amount of time this year. I expect just the opposite. But we need at least one competent #2 and we could use a second decently experienced guy on the bench and to run scout teams in practice. I think as far as Palmer and Clausen go we may have those bases covered.

McCown turned out to be more than we could have ever expected from a #2 but the unanswered question is how much of that was McCown and how much of it was the result of some excellent coaching and some great preparation on all of their parts? I don't see any good reason why it can't happen again just that way provided the #2 guy works at it as hard as McCown did.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,206 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    245ß
    I too expect Cutler to play a FULL year this season (15 games min). If so, that will make the backup QB debate nothing more than an intellectual exercise. Very few teams make a deep playoff run or SB contention with a starting QB who doesn't stay healthy.

Clausen seems to have been brought in as a Palmer alternative and because the team knew JJ and Fales were clipboard holders at best this year. Maybe he will be the #3, maybe he will be the "Rolodex guy" available for callback if needed.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,495ß

If they intend to keep three QBs on the roster like they said earlier as long as both Palmer and Clausen are healthy and can play if called upon it might just as well be them. Neither one is costing us much cap wise. All they need to do is establish the pecking order during camp and preseason.

You're right. We wouldn't have done any better in the playoffs last year than the Packers did with either Cutler or McCown and there's even less chance of it this year if that defense doesn't resurrect itself. However, if it does and Cutler does stay healthy I don't see how we can miss as long as we play smart football.
  13. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    356ß
    Is the Clausen deal where the guy was not coached up by the previous team but

here he could be under HALAS HALL tutelage?
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,495ß

Pretty much. Carolina was playing pretty crappy football when they drafted him and he came in with what is IMHO a bad attitude because he fell into the 2nd round of the draft and promptly stunk up the place. So they went out and drafted Cam Newton the next year and stopped even trying to make a #1 out of Clausen. I'd say his team failed him just as much as he failed the team.

The thing with Clausen is that he was a golden boy all the way from HS in Cali to Notre Dame. So after a reasonably successful junior year at ND he decided to enter the draft and was projected to be a top ten pick. Ooops! Not only was he not top ten but he actually got drafted AFTER Tim Tebow and in the second round. He also had a rep a being cocky little punk who was never as good as he was told he was and sort of proved it a few times too.

So what are his positives. He doesn't have a gun like Cutler but he has decent arm strength and a very quick release which would both work well in a WCO hybrid like Trestman runs. He's not as big as Cutler but big enough to play pro ball and he has some mobility although he's not a Johnny Manziel type. I guess the bottom line is he's a fit in Chicago and with Trestman because Trestman knows him and has worked with him before prior to his being drafted.

The biggest negative I saw in him was his attitude which if it was like it used to be would have landed him on the street after about an hour around Cutler. I guess those days are over and he's matured. Cutler likes him and the coaches say he's been great in the QB room. Maybe Cutler sees a little of himself in Jimmy when he was just coming into the NFL. Twins sons of different mother's jackie. They could actually make a good pairing just like Jay and McCown did.
  15. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +723 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    684ß
    I really believe Clausen will work out well. Lets see how he progresses this year, I suspect, as Soul pointed out, he had a rude awakening with the Panthers after all of his previous success. The time away from football gave him a chance to realize nothing is given, the only given is he got a chance in the NFL and now he has a second chance. Third chances are rare and hopefully he realizes he is in the perfect situation where he has a great QB coach, can learn from the sideline, and down the road contribute. When this year is over it will be interesting to see what we do with his contract situation. If we walk away or another 1 year deal, then he is probably not the heir apparent to Cutler. If we give him a longer term deal It will be interesting how the pay is structured.

This is a prove it year for Clausen, mostly in practice hopefully, but it is an opportunity as well. If he does well and realizes the team and coaches have as much to do with his success as his skills then maybe he is willing to wait his turn. Since he has the Carolina experience it may work to the Bears benefit and he may opt to stay, much like the McCown situation, only Clausen is younger and has time on his side.
  16. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +647 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    323ß
    We know one thing for sure Trest knows more about this guy and what he can possibly do better than any else. Trest worked with Clausen prior to his draft and you know Trest watch ever nuance film that was available of Clausen since being in the NFL and he made assessment for bringing him in and giving him another shoot. I'm still amazed at Palmers miraculous 100% 3 day pectoral strain recovery time especially for measly OTA practices. hmmm...