Moon Mullin: Mel Tucker is the key as Bears set to repair the defense

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Mar 4, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,703 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,227ß
    FWIW.

2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    Hope Mel is as good as Trestman was at identifying the characteristics he wants in players at various positions. Atleast he can play his style of defense this year as opposed to sticking with the previous system. Make or Break for Mel, hoping we got it right
    • Like Like x 1
  3. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,233 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    157ß
    The D is going to improve by coming off injury, new blood, and perhaps even Mel's very own scheme. Before I hear fans say " just wait 'till his system is fully in place in 2015" I need to know how strategic and tactical of a coach this guy really is. Has he learned and evolved? Has his system itself evolved?

I know there are those who say that the D just has to be "good enough". But if Tucker isn't the answer he is much easier to change than re-drafting an entire D all over again.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I'm with you shorty but I disagree with those who say the defense only has to be just "good enough".

That would be a very good description of my hometown boys going into the Super Bowl. Number one offense in the NFL and a "pretty good" but not great defense. They got slaughtered by a team coached by a former NFL DC who knew that a "pretty good" defense will never be good enough to win a championship.

The Irresistible Force met the Immoveable Object, it didn't move and the Irresistible Force cratered........badly. I have to live with Mel Tucker as a DC this year but I don't have to like it. The guy has never coached a top defense when he wasn't under another defensive guru and he came in here very unprepared for the task he was hired for. I hope that changes but I don't believe it will because I don't think he's the right guy to run a Bears defense. Luckily the hires Pasqualoni so if they absolutely have to fire Tucker at mid season because his defense looks as bad or worse than 2013 at least they have a guy capable of stepping in this time around.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,703 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,227ß
    That's how I see it too, Soul. If we simply gamble on the Bears winning the "Aaron Rodgers vs. Jay Cutler" shootout - then we're going nowhere in the division, and much less in winning a Super Bowl here in Chicago. I don't understand why fans are so enamored with the "Jay getting it done without a defense thing." It's not happening. You HAVE to have a solid defense to limit teams with power offenses, enough to win those games. But right now we're all giddy over having an offense in Chicago, and we figure a 3rd rate defense is just fine, and that we have to "settle" since we now have an offense. I just don't buy that. Sure, it's fine to have a better offense than defense. But the defense STILL has to be stout to win championships. It's Football 101. And as you pointed out, we just saw this unfold with Seattle stomping on Denver's throat to win the Super Bowl. I'm fine with an offense first mentality, but don't have a 3rd rate defense.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß
    Sorry, Mel is the problem. Time will tell.

I've said it many times, when he was in Jacksonville, his defenses looked just like the Bears this year. So his track record hasn't changed over a couple of teams. YEah, I blame Mel.
  7. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    90ß
    Right, because there is SO much talent in Jax!! I'm not saying he is Dom Capers or Dick LeBeau, but to crucify him for his results in JAX or in CHI last year with half of the D injured is not logical. If Emery, Trestman, and the ownership found him suitable to be hired in the first place and then kept for a second season, then they must have much more information on his capabilities than any of us. Let's see how things turn out this season, then make a fair judgement.