More help at NT,....

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by 50YearFrustration, Mar 16, 2014.

1. 50YearFrustration

50YearFrustration Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    I know the 3 technique in Bears' 4-3 alignment is the "glory" position inside, and that is the position Emery is probably targeting more in the draft (if Melton leaves as expected). That said, I still believe the Bears need more help at the nose, too. I'm just not buying Paea as anything more than a spot player, at best. I watched too many games (when he was healthy) where he was pushed, shoved or turned way too easily. Yeah, the nose tackle is doubled a lot, but I saw times where he was handled one-on-one as well. Ratliff can play some nose, so there is that option. Still, it would be nice to see another guy in there who can hold the point of attack, if nothing else,...
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +759 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    There are several options in the draft and hope we address it as well. I am not for Nix unless he falls into rd2 but hope we address later in the draft. Not sure 2 DTs will be possible this yr though. CB, S, DT, MLB, QB, RB ( cut Bush), S, DT, TE, C. Still have more needs then picks at this point and if the value for a NT is there compared to additional S, TE, or C will probably deteremine the pick. Peae is a FA next yr.
  3. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +336 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    167ß
    After Tommie Harris, I am scared of a DL prospect with something wrong with a knee, hip, ankle, etc. If he is really good to go, maybe. But with major joint surgery, can yo ever be totally sure.

There are some really good NT development projects that may be available much later in the draft. Not instant impact players but some mean with good physical attributes (and without a recent injury).
    • Like Like x 1
  4. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    I agree and would also like to point out that there may be some very good FA's available after the draft when teams let players go, who may be a very good fit on the "D" line.
    ;)
  5. dabears70

dabears70 Veteran

Ratings:
    +52 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    I actually think we're fine at NT with Paea and Ratlif and think where we need the help is at the 3 tech and a pass rushing DE. I think we have everything we need on the D-Line for stopping the run.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,870 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,619ß
    Paea, Ratliff and Collins can all play either DT spot but we lack a true 3 tech penetrator of Melton goes and I believe it's 90% sure he will. If that's the case than to me a 3 tech DT jumps to the top of the wish list. Donald is the only pure 3 tech in the first round. Jernigan can play 3 tech but he's more like the other three. So with Melton gone if he's still on the board Donald is my pick.

Wide body NTs are out there. What's rare is when they can actually add some pass rush to go with their run plugging. We can find one long after the first few rounds or even an UDFA who can occupy space in a 3-4 front but whether he can play well enough to beat out the others remains to be seen. I'm really not a Nix fan even in round two.
  7. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +336 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    167ß
    I agree. Nix would have to fall to Round 3/4 before I'd think him worth the risk.

The guy I have been looking at is rated as Round 7 or UDFA - Zack Kerr (6'1" 320lbs). He can play 0, 1 or 3 technique and has some decent rush skills. His issue is he played at a small school (Delaware) and didn't play against any real quality talent. Also had some academic problems and kicked around the JUCO circuit before landing at Delaware. A project. I've seen some video on him at YouTube. He seems to have a non-stop motor.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=90620&draftyear=2014&genpos=DT
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,870 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,619ß
    Maybe Kerr is one of those guys who could fall through the cracks, end up being a 7th round pick or UDFA, but end up becoming a prize. Anytime you can find a bigger NT who can push the pocket and create pressure you have a guy who may be able to play in the NFL. Pure run stuffers area dime a dozen and it's a passing league now so everybody needs guys who can rush.

To make the point about late picks and their possibilities even more pronounced we'll be playing with two 7th rounders starters and a reserve on the DLine this year and one of them is a four time Pro Bowler. Young, Bass and Ratliff were all 7th round picks. Richard Dent was an 8th back when they had 12 rounds. More top players come from the first two rounds but there are always some who claw their way to the top all the way from the bottom.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. yttocs

yttocs Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    one is a 7th round probowl player. WORDS.
  10. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    We have not had a true run stuffing NT in a very long time. While this is a passing league, we saw what teams did to us on the ground last year.

I would hope that they take a guy that fits that mold for goaline situations or third and short. He does not need to be an every down player, but when you need a guy like that you have to have him on the roster.

Ratliff is the biggest guy we have at 303 on the D-line. We do need at least 1 guy in that 325-340 range.
    • Like Like x 1