Mullins - How the Bears can follow Spurs' model to multiple championships

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by dachuckster, Jun 17, 2014.

1. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    Moon's insights on what Phil Emery is up to.

Link

2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,667 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,173ß
    I agree that we could very well see multiple championships and sustainable winning. But the model we now have in place is bigger than what Moon is talking about here. It begins with ownership - George McCaskey - who understands how to build a winner from the ground up. Some older people who are close to the organization are saying George reminds them of his namesake, Papa Bear Halas.

And then we have his GM, Emery, as a foundational building block that is now in place to bring in the talent needed to sustain winning.....Emery started immediately by bringing in Brandon Marshall for a couple of 3rd round draft picks, and he hasn't left a stone unturned looking to improve the roster. He does this 365 days a year. The man is tireless in pursuit of better talent, not only starters but also in building up better depth. This will be his third season here since George brought him in, and I think this will be the start of a lot of great seasons here. Then you have a brilliant move in finding Trestman in the CFL and bringing him to Chicago. Marc has only been here 1 season, but we can see that this guy has the gears to be here a long time, sustaining winning here in Chicago.

One other guy who is key here, but most don't even know who he is, is Cliff Stein, our financial guru. The man is brilliant.

Regarding players, now you have a situation where players WANT to stay here, and others want to COME here. Here is a parallel with San Antonio. Money is important, but also WHERE you play is a factor too. I think you already see this in Chicago. You add all of this up and you come up with a sweet outlook for the Chicago Bears. But I think it starts with George McCaskey becoming the franchise leader. By the time he steps down (hopefully many many years from now) I'll bet he'll be viewed as the best thing to happen to the Chicago Bears since his grandpa George owned the team.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I couldn't agree more with you on the importance of George being the COB. This was the initial change that started it all off.

To paraphrase an old joke, it looks like we will go from the outhouse to the White House in about 3 years.

I'd better start ordering the Bear Kool-Aid by the case!!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Just be very careful about who you're calling older people there sonny! :rofl2:

George may not have the same personality and temperament as the Old Man but he sure as hell has a much better football head on his shoulders than either his father or his brother did. He may actually be a lot like his Uncle "Mugs", GHS's son George Jr, who was the Bears President and CEO until he died in 1979. It was "Mugs" who hired Jim Finks as the Bears GM after Finks had built the famous Viking teams with the Purple People Eater defense. Finks managed to get the Bears back to play offs in the late '70s but his biggest contribution was probably drafting many of the players who became the core of the '85 Bears.

If "Mugs" hadn't passed away we'd have never had Mikey McCaskey running the show and the Bears probably would have established a dynasty in the '80s and won at least one or two more Super Bowls. I think George want to be that guy who picks it up from that era and moves it forward into this one and just like "Mugs" the first thing he did was go out and hire a top notch GM who, given time, seems to have the ability to draft well enough to fix the Bears problems.

It's nice to be going into the summer without trying to make excuse for our too small WRs and our not so bright QBs and it's also nice to see some guys playing for us who used to tear us up when we played against them. And they're happy to be here. Happy to be a part of a team they want to help make into a winner. It really is different around here these days as far as the posting goes and the improvements all lead back to the point in time when George took over as COB. I finally see a light down in the tunnel again.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß
    If you aren't excited about this year as a Bears fan, something is wrong with you.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    As log as you are better than the year before, championships will start to come our way.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    "Just be very careful about who you're calling older people there sonny!"
    :002: Right there with ya bro.

"George may not have the same personality and temperament as the Old Man but he sure as hell has a much better football head on his shoulders than either his father or his brother did."

I agree soul. JABF and Chuckster are right, it all started there. I think the best thing about George is that he understands that he doesn't know everything and he knows what he doesn't know. That is the critical part of ANY CEO or President's responsibility; understand where you are lacking and bring in people that excel in those areas. That is exactly what George has done and he is letting those people do their jobs.
    • Agree Agree x 1