My OFFICIAL take on yesterday's game

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Sep 9, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    236ß
    hey guys, I know we are all pretty pumped up after yesterday's come from behind victory, so I figure that I'd provide you with "my take" on what went down yesterday. I will try to make it short N' sweet, since I know ya'll don't want to read a book.

POSITIVES: 1- we won. Team showed heart in not getting too down at various points in the 2nd half when it appeared that this was going to be a loss. Jay kept his head after the INT and came back strong.
    2-OL play. Not one single sack on Cutler. Both Mills and Long played GREAT and Bushrod lived up to the FA hype protecting Jay's blindside. NIce to have a talented OLF.
    3-Jay spread the ball around. Found Marshall enough to keep him happy, but also targeted Bennett, Jeffery, Forte, etc. Offense looked really nice in the 4th quarter.
    4-Defense still has a knack for creating turnovers and Robbie Gould is still THE MAN!

NEGATIVES: 1-We were UNABLE to generate ANY consistent pressure. Dalton basically had ALL DAY to sit back in the pocket and throw the ball. As I recall, what little pressure we were able to generate came on blitzes or due to coverage downfield. Peppers was MIA the entire game (even Simms and Nantz mentioned this during the telecast) along with the rest of the DL (with the exception of Paea on a few plays). If we can't consistently generate pressure, we have ZERO chance of defeating teams with quality QB play this year. Where were the edge rushers?!!

2-We couldn't cover AJ Geen to save our lives. Yes, he is an elite receiver...but our CBs MUST do a better job if we are to make any serious noise this season. Megatron, GB's receivers, New Orleans' receivers, etc. will eat us alive if our secondary doesn't improve. Green looked like a man amongst boys yesterday, which is troubling since our secondary was supposed to be a major defensive strength.

Overall, I was tickled pink with the win, but I am kind of concerned about our defense. YES, it did generate Turnovers, but let's be honest....Cincy's offense was able to more or less, move the ball at will when it wanted to. 90 yard drive, 85 yard drive, 93 yard drive, etc. etc. I was really hoping to see a defense which DIDN'T NEED TO RELY upon getting a turnover just to prevent the opposing offense from scoring. You know, one which could just consistenly stonewall an offense with 3 and outs. I really hope Tucker figures out a way to get to the QB. I will give the offense's struggles in the first half a pass, since it did appear to be humming in the 4th quarter AND because I was so pleased with the play of our OL.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  2. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    A note about negative 2.... a lot of that was on the safeties and not the CBs. Especially the big play for a touchdown. Even though Jennings was the one tailing him, the coverage they were in called for Jennings to pass him off to Major Wright, who was busy biting on a pump fake. At best, that should have been a 20-25 yard gain. There were other instances where the safeties making the proper play would have shut them down or limited them. I'm not saying the corners were perfect, but I saw greater fault in the safety play on more occasions.
  3. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    485ß
    Bingo! Overhead angles show a different story. And I'd like to point out that Tillman's interceptions were made covering AJ Green. Green is a top 5 receiver in the league. He's going to get free from time to time. Pressure up front would help too. Tillman is getting called out, which is fine, but it wasn't all his fault....nor was he defending Green on all of his catches.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    236ß
    what do you guys think of my other negatives and positives? Do you agree about the alarming lack of a pass rush???
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    AJ Green is a beast. He is probably the best WR I have seen in a long time.
  6. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    AJ Green is a beast. He is probably the best WR I have seen in a long time.
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,987 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    Remember this is the same D they have always run, it is meant to allow the O to run up and down the field, and force the O to make the right call, and hope to get a TO. If that system fails the other team is going to score.
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,378 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    784ß
    I'm really not concerned at all about our pass rush.

We will see the better QB's get rid of the football fast enough to negate a pass rush, to a certain extent. That's what I'm hoping WE do, and Cutler did a nice job of it yesterday. Even the best DL become a non-factor if the ball is out of the QB's hands quickly. Our DL will get its share of hurries and sacks this year, but it will also have days like yesterday. For a team that has a great WR like Green (or for us, B.Marsh), you're just not going to shut those teams down. Not completely. That's why having our own decent offense is so important. The "D" on a solid team nowadays, still needs enough "O" to win games. We had that yesterday.

Expect the DL to improve over yesterday though. It was our 1st game of the season. We don't have to panic yet.
  9. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    236ß
    Yeah, I know riczaj01. I guess that I was just hoping Tucker was going to find a way to bring more pressure. I had my fingers crossed that he was going to find a way to bring more heat than Lovie did, with creative and effective blitz packages. I realize that we did blitz, on occasion, yesterday, but the defense just wasn't aggressive enough for my taste. It reminded me A LOT Of last year's D, which is both a good and bad thing. Eventually, the turnovers DO DRY UP, and then you can't get a stop when you really need one. If you count on turnovers and mistakes to win games, eventually you are going to crap out against a big-time, disciplined opponent.
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,987 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    Well if Sox is correct, that Shea sack had Pepper drop into coverage and DJ and Anderson blitz in w/Shea stunting over behind Paea, I'm not sure we would have seen that under Lovie.
  11. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

CHILLL OUT,..it was the first game for the new regime ,... there are going to be quirks to tweak ,... ONE GAME at a time

Can yesterday's game can be built on Improved upon ,.. YES AND IT WILL BE

The Bears did something they haven't done in a long long time and that was The O coming from behind and winning the game Care to wager on the turnout if Lovie was still here ??

When the Pass rush is like this like this after game 5 , 6, 7 let me know

NOT much one can do against a 3 step drop. Peanut and McBride oddly and ironically made a difference.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    236ß
    slow your roll, little man.
  13. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,457 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    759ß
    your OFFICIAL take? Is there some counterfeit takes of yours running around that im unaware of?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,378 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    784ß
    BradMustersGhost, it's a good topic to talk about. It will be interesting to see how they look in the next game against the Vikes. I'm just hoping we're fine at DL. Lotta good players there.
  15. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    BMG, I think Neg #1 is what caused Neg #2. The key to the cover 2 IHMO is getting a pass rush with your front four. If you don't you'll struggle on defense against even an average QB & Dalton is a good QB.
  16. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    236ß
    lol, I have decided that I rather like you, Jimmors. Keep up the good work. You're one of the good guys. :)
  17. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    236ß
    BearJim, WELL SAID!!! I agree 100%, and THAT is what scares me. The MOST frustrating aspect of Lovie's Cover/Tampa 2 was the fact that good QBs ALWAYS dissected it when our DL couldn't get to them. Sadly, I see that happening again this year unless our DL plays a HELL OF A LOT BETTER than they did against the Bengals. I was HOPING that Tucker would inject Lovie's basic Cover/Tampa-2 scheme with a significant amount of effective blitzing. I didn't really see that on Sunday. We are going to have to find a way to pressure the opposing QB, because just sitting back and "hoping he gets impatient and makes a dumb decision with the football" isn't an effective strategy against Rodgers, or Brees, or Manning, et. al.
  18. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,457 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    759ß
    Shhh...dont spread that rumor around, ive spent years reinforcing my persona as a sarcastic asshole.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Adibear

Adibear Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    TBF Cincy have a good O-line,thats why Dalton had all day ..but what got me is ,where did Peppers go...
  20. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    You're absolutely right BMG. While watching the game I was very frustated with the lack of pass rush & poor tackling for that matter. They do need to get better at getting after the QB & I'm sure they will. Tackling will improve as the season goes on as it's not practiced much if any in practice these days. Something just didn't seem right with Peppers, Melton just got back from a concussion & the Bengals OL is pretty darn good.

If you go back & rewatch the game, you'll notice that we did mix it up in the last quarter & 1/2 with some blitzes & different cover schemes & I thought it made a big difference in the outcome. Remember Tucker is still learning his players strengths & weaknesses just like the rest of the coaching staff. We all expect the offense to continue to get better. So will the defense. The biggest positive from the DL IHMO was the play of Paea. He was in the backfield alot. If he can play like that & stay healthy while Peppers & Melton find their groove this DL could before a major force. Also the defense is still learning to play without (arguably) the 2nd best LBer outside of Ray Lewis since 2000.