Myth of "Grooming" a QB from the draft

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by beardownboilerup, Oct 24, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01

I think that was his theory Jimmors, but it clashes w/his conclusion that you have to resign Cutler then. The team doesn't HAVE to resign Cutler, actually the opposite could be thought based on his premise. You should let Cutler walk and get one of these qb's from the "deepest qb draft since 1983" and start them day 1.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. A-11

A-11

In Trestman I trust...

If I was Emery I'd wait until this season plays out and do the best I could to give Marc what he wants after they have had time to evaluate the season. I think Marc has shown that he has creditable ideas on how the Bears should play ball. Jay is not a bad QB so I would expect a contract, but I wouldn't argue against other options very hard if Marc had different ideas. It is only his career after all...

At 30 I expect Jay to have at least 5 more good years if not more. I have no clue how diabetes might play into it, but it is there and it is real. I also look at the $ it will take to lock him in and I understand why taking a risk on a first round pick QB is tempting. That money could be used in Free Agency to fill in other missing pieces. The quicker the starting gaps are filled the quicker you can tackle building from the draft with BPA and build the needed depth. Too many parts for me to say.

I do think "grooming" is real, and if I believe what they tell me, Trestman can do that if he has the personnel. He knows what he is after, if there is some back up somewhere he wants to bring in or some prospect he wants to draft, I'd be along and accept the risk. Lets see how McCown plays while Jay is injured before investing too much thought into the subject, that will be a good indicator of what the Bears might be like in a world without Jay. Since it is a backup scenario, the ghost and expectations are still around. So people like B. Marsh won't check out (if there is any substance to those theories) but it will be a valid component to the decision.

For a guy that went for it on 4th and 2 early in the Giants game, I think Trestman will make the call that he feels is the best despite what we think.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. beardownboilerup

beardownboilerup

I guess my main contention/ concern is that I am really skeptical on letting cutler go for an unproven rookie. To me it doesn't seem like you can groom a qb, either they have it or they don't. I do see some qbs in this draft that do have it, but I don't see how we would be in draft position to get them. I was listening to espn radio this morning and they were going thru all the starting qb in the league, they only found 16 as plausible starters. We can't let cutler go when there is an extreme lack of depth for qbs. They were so concerned about the lack of depth that they even brought up the idea of a farm system.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

I'm fine with moving on from Cutler if we have a guy who is as good or better - in place - before he goes. I've seen so many bust QB's in the NFL over the years, even Heisman Trophy winning QB's have gone bust. And many first round QB picks have gone bust. People seem to think you shake any tree and a quality NFL QB can drop into your lap. But it doesn't happen that way very often.

I actually get a laugh (seriously) when I read a post where someone brings up the QB's like Tom Brady, Russell, etc. and promote the idea that we can get a franchise QB in later rounds. Sure you can. But not to many teams get Tom Brady's in the 6th round anymore. It's a crap shoot at best, drafting a QB.

One last comment. Some look at McCown's 1 game performance and think he's all of a sudden a "miracle baby" in Trestman's offense. McCown has been in the league a long time and has a career throwing more ints than TD's. He has a noodle-arm too. He's not a very good QB, but rather a guy you want to get back to the bench as soon as possible.

Cutler is someone you want to keep until you get a viable option that is at least as good, or better.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68

I agree and don't think we are "moving on" from Cutler this spring.
    A) Jay has shown signs of flourishing under Trestman. He still freelances too much (away from short throws) and still has work to do on ball security, but he was on pace for a killer year prior to the injury. The Detroit game was a mess for sure but otherwise he played well-to-excellent the other 5.
    B) The silver lining in the injury is that he will now be re-sign-able for considerably cheaper than if he had raked up 4500 yards and won a playoff game. Not cheap but definitely cheaper.
    C) We desperately need our high picks to shore up this sieve of a defense rather than using one on a crapshoot of a QB. Lots of 1st and 2nd round QB picks fail and flop, don't forget that. I'd rather wait until the 3rd or 4th to draft a project QB and let him develop from the bench for a couple years rather than risking the offensive progress we have made thus far by throwing a rookie QB into the mix.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

I like your posts regarding Cutler. They strike a good balance, in that you're not a groupie who thinks he can do no wrong, yet you also don't demonize him. Trestman probably has a similar evaluation of Cutler.......just objectively evaluating all points.
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68

He drives me crazy sometimes (dumb picks, not hitting check downs, holding the ball too long) but I also recognize that he's way better than most and that we haven't seen the best of Cutler-Trestman yet.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. A-11

A-11

I'm betting it is also going to take time, one more tight end, and a true speed receiver to see the best of Cutler-Trestman.
  9. beardownboilerup

beardownboilerup

Speaking of another tight end we worked out scheffler today, hopefully we sign him
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01

Team needs to FT Cutler and hope he can stay healthy all year.

I'd be happy w/Scheffler, I'd be more happy if they signed a couple DT's and a few Safeties just to compete w/who we have.
  11. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Eh, if they can't afford to franchise Cutler, and they think their QB is in this draft, I say go for it. As long as they also work on fixing the defensive line, everything should work out fine.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01

No one will ever call me a Cutler fan, but I don't know that I want to see him walk either. As long as they can fill the needs on the D in FA and the draft, so be it take a young qb that Trestman likes and lets see what happens.
    I guess my biggest issue is the 20mil a year contract even average qb's are getting. It f'n ruins your teams cap and if they aren't worth it, will set the team back even further. I wanted to see Cutler either burn it up and flat out earn it(which I'm not sure he really did up to this point, although he was vastly better) or crash and burn and see the team move on. Per usual it's never that clear.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68

My best guess based on incomplete info is that they will one year/FT Cutler this year (that seems to be Emery's MO on borderline calls and he was right on Melton who disappointed even before he got hurt). They will also draft a QB in ~ the 3rd and otherwise devote most offseason resources to the defense which obviously has to be done.
    • Like Like x 1