Myth of "Grooming" a QB from the draft

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by beardownboilerup, Oct 24, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,121ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!

You think you'll go far in life b/c of how you post on a message board? :cool: cool story bro.

• Like Like x 1
  2. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka

ßearz ßuckz:
    60ß
    Can't say that I've ever argued for drafting a later round qb to take over for Cutler, only to back him up.

The premise of the entire first post seems to be centered around a strawman argument.

• Like Like x 3
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,121ß
    BDM, more to the point:

Isn't it actually further proof that drafting a qb in the first 3 rounds and moving on right away might be the only way to go? The idea that Cutler is "arguably" a top 10 qb is HIGHLY arguable. Last year he ranked 18th. This year he's been near or in the top 10, but again was hurt and is lost for mutliple games, at some point that is a trend, freak inj or not.

Still I would perfer to draft a qb in the 2nd or 3rd round and sit him for 1-2 years while the team figures out if Cutler is the real deal, if nothing else all you get is more picks down the road if they turn out well.

4. Henry Burris

Henry Burris
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    953ß
    Chad Pennington replaced a poorly playing Testaverde, and won multiple division titles and playoff appearances, as well as coming second in MVP voting in 2008. I think they just threw that part of the list together. He was absolutely being groomed, and had 2 seasons of learning behind Testaverde, who took them to the playoffs, himself, in 2001.

EDIT: This article is poorly worded to scare everyone into keeping Jay Cutler. Kaepernick wasn't being groomed? Oh, so the 49ers traded up in the 2nd round for no reason? B.S. article.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rogelio

Rogelio
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    195ß
    [​IMG]

6. Rogelio

Rogelio
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    195ß
    Oh, and Rapistberger should be moved to the second category. Tommy Maddox was the starter his rookie season until an injury.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Henry Burris

Henry Burris
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    953ß
    More reason this article was poorly written

8. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,121ß
    Same w/Manuel, he wasn't the starter b/c of an injury? Wasn't Matt Flynn or someone there to be the starter this year?

9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,271ß
    I posted this in the other thread, but maybe it is applicable here too Henry:

Being a lifetime Bears fan, I didn't directly follow Chad Pennington's career, but FWIW, I've thought he was one heck of a good QB. He played 11 seasons, passing for over 17,000 yards. He is the all-time leader, in the history of the NFL, in completion percentage. That's one hell of a record considering he was the best of all QB's spanning over 90 seasons of NFL football! That totally blows my mind.

He was the runner-up NFL League MVP in in '08 (Peyton Manning beat him out). He has a LIFETIME qb rating in the 90's.

He has a slew of NFL awards over those 11 years. The guy, for years, has been a total class-act off the field too, with charity work that has benefited a lot of needy people in some of the poorest areas of our nation.

I've never been a Jets fan, but I've always had a lot of admiration (on and off the field) for Chad Pennington. He was a gutsy guy coming back from some tough injuries too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jimmors

Jimmors
    Expand Collapse
    The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,131ß
    Maybe i read the OP wrong, but it seems he was making an argument about drafting a QB (doesnt matter which round right now), and starting them from day 1, vs "grooming" them, i.e. drafting them, and letting them sit on the bench a couple of years before taking over as starter (more specifically, how this never really happens any more...your Tom Brady's as it were).

Then again, i only skimmed this thread, so i could be wrong.