New season - Bears roster

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by a_miljan, May 12, 2014.

1. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +311 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    139ß
    Okay, draft is over and FA (main signings) too. We can's evaluate draft yet, at least not until we see a first few games (I dont buy that 3y crap), but we can take a look at our team after this off season. So, I think it is pretty clear we got ourselves a better team. Ok, lets just scan our team real quickly (would like to hear ur opinions, of course current one, as it stands):
    O - we got better, every time O has another season with the same crew, they will be or should be better, QB, RB, TE, WR are the same, maybe we lost a little bit in QB (only maybe) but will be better at other positions (RB, WR). And there is one secret weapon I just love: De La Puente. First of all, love that guy, second I could see OL (from time to time, or at least if Mills is not ready for the start): Bushrod - Slauson - Garza - De La Puente - Long, sounds terrific doesn't it?
    D - we havent lost a single star player, not one, ok Pepp, Wootton, Anderson & Bowman had a few nice games but they are absolutely not irreplaceable. Our DL signings sound great: Houston, Allen, Young, 2 different rookies who both fill a need + all the important ones stayed put from last season. You may laugh after last year, but on paper, our DL is one of the best in the league, problem is they need time to put everything in its place, but we could see some mean D in 2015.
    Secondary has also improved in my opinion, we now have 3 excellent CB's and I believe 2 good S, FS Vereen and SS Mundy, Conte could be an ok backup IMO.
    LB could be a problem, but with Jones onboard could be real nice, if healthy Shea-DJ-Lance we could have solid LB's.
    ST stayed the same or even improved from last year, we have some real nice pickups. Kicker is as good as Gould and a prospect P is here also.

Overall, we look like a really good team, and it appears like we finally have some reasons to be excited. Lets pray we dont get slashed by injuries like last year, but our roster gained in depth too. I strongly believe we are contenders now.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    And we aren't done. Emery said that they'll keep looking to improve the roster through final cut downs.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,422 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    I agree with your assessment, Ric. With the usual caveats that apply to every NFL team (depends on injuries, all on paper, yada yada) we have a much more balanced and deep roster that makes us a legit contender in the NFC.

The only position group that looks questionable to me is LB. And that will be a whole lot more secure if Shea and Bostic step up as I expect they both will. A minor mention for TE too...past Marty (who's thankfully very durable) there's nothing there as far as a receiving weapon. Hopefully a udfa or Fendi can become a viable backup in PS.

The lines look vastly improved over a year ago and with much improved depth. I'm good with the secondary. WR and RB look stacked.

Broken record coming here: it's the second year in the TCO with great weapons and Jay just got his big money multi-year deal. Earn it, dude. That means taking another step forward in your game and fer cripes sake PLAY A FULL GODDAM SEASON! 15 games minimum. If that happens, this team can make a real playoff run.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,944 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,305ß
    S is still weak, and CB could be a problem next year depending on how Fuller performs. I think he will be fine, but the worst scenario is Tillman is gone and Fuller is a bust. Other than that, I think everyone has hit on our potential weak areas.
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    MP 100% especially about Cutler, your backup made you look like expendable, and the team still gave you a stupid contract, F'n earn it this year, next to no QB has the quality of weapons up and down the board that you do, feel free to use them, all of them, and stop forcing throws.

TCO, this is a big step b/c now teams have tape on what you wanna do, better have some more twists in that toolbox of yours

DC, bud no excuses this year, only the S and LB's are questionable, and that's only if you lose pro bowlers again, and your staff is MUCH improved, get these guys up to speed and get a gameplan put together they can execute and help win games.
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,422 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    Age is a concern with Tillman yes but we have 2 pro bowlers at CB and the #1-2 CB in the entire draft backing them up. Plus Frey, McMannis, and Hayden (who might not even make the final cut). That's pretty solid on paper.

At S, it's gonna come down to Conte/Mundy/Vereen competing for two starting jobs with the loser backing up along with Steltz and MDJ. It isn't a stellar unit but I see it as adequate.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,784 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    I really like this about Emery. Improving the team roster is never "over" for him. He's relentless searching for any players that can improve the team within cap limitations. I wouldn't be surprised if we did add a player or two this summer (even during TC after other team cuts). It won't be a super expensive signing, but could still be a player who upgrades our roster, even if it's a depth signing.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    I still think that final S group is different after teams start cutting their teams down.
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,422 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    Yep, if there's two Bears "under a microscope" this season with all the optimism flowing around its CUTLER and TUCKER. The first needs to improve his TD/TO ratio and stay healthy. The second needs prove he wasn't a huge mistake. Both have the resources they need and both are out of excuses IMO.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,944 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,305ß
    I have actually grown to expect that from Emery. George hit paydirt with him as far as I'm concerned.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,422 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    Yep, wouldn't surprise me for Emery to add another vet DB or two for depth and cutting loose someone like Hayden or MDJ.
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,784 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    I just hope he protects the football well, keeping those turnovers down to a minimum. I also want to see the team play all 4 quarters, and not just the last quarter. Put some serious points on the board early in games rather than have to do the 4th quarter heroics. Play the entire game. Our run-blocking can help here if it improves this year. We need to be able to convert in short yardage situations to keep the chains moving, instead of the 3-and-outs early in games.

Regarding the injuries to Jay, I just figure he's probably not going to play a 16 game season, ever. Now that he's older, this could be even more of a problem. I figure the best Emery and Trestman can do is to have a system QB who can carry the load when Jay goes down to his injuries each year.
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    enter fales...man that doesn't sound right I'm liking that pick less and less.
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,784 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    We definitely need to find a cool nickname for this guy.
  15. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,422 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    JABF, injuries happen in the NFL and some are just bad luck. Some are avoidable or at least "risk manageable". When we had a shit OL and shit receiving corps it was understandable that Jay got killed. Last year, not so much. We gave up the 2nd least number of sacks in the whole league IIRC. Freak stuff can't be prevented. Holding the ball too long or being reckless is something you can control.

Manning and Brady are both much older than Jay yet they managed to stay healthy for 16 games.
  16. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,944 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,305ß
    The name doesn't inspire confidence....
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,422 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    There's gonna be a lot of bad jokes coming out if/when Fales plays and if he looks like ass out there. If he sees a single snap in the RS this year then something has gone horribly wrong.
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    Emery pronounced it "fells" but that really doesn't inspire much more confidence, Cutler is down right now, we have faith in his backup fells.....
  19. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,944 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,305ß
    I just hope he doesn't fells down on the job.
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    he can fells down on the job, as long as it's not right after the snap, ala the Chutch or the Krenzel. It's nice to know he's never going to be that sort of bad, regardless of how limited his good is.