New season - Bears roster

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by a_miljan, May 12, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,667 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,173ß
    This is the first QB we've brought in for "The QB Whisperer" so I'm hoping Trestman sees a player here worth developing into a solid backup for Jay. If he does make this guy into a solid backup, then I'm a true believer in the Trestman QB Whisperer legend. Wouldn't it be interesting if McCown tanks with Lovie, while this new kid does well here for us?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,179ß
    Definitely something that people will be watching.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,286 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,454ß
    Can Trestman turn Fales into a qb success? We'll find out in the next episode of the Halas Hall QB whisperer
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,667 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,173ß
    If he would make him into a decent QB, even a decent backup QB, I think his reputation would be made here in Chicago anyway. I'd be a true believer for sure.
  5. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +403 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    Not only would it be great to see him mold Fales into a solid backup.. it's going to be very interesting to see Cutler progress. It's easy to forget the two have only had one season together and Cutler was having a career year. With more and more time to work on Cutler I think Cutler is going to be even better this year and beyond. He knows the system so much better than at the beginning of last year and soon these reads and plays will become more and more like muscle memory. You won't have to think wait how does this play work, it'll all be second nature in due time. Reps are so key and when the system is stable year after year players can really flourish in it and gel together. It's like Lovie's D.. we were so damn good partly because everyone knew the system in and out to the point you don't even have to think, you just go. You get used to seeing certain looks and you know what works against these looks and coverages, you develop go-to plays and confidence in the plays in the playbook. I think the whole offense has the real possibility of being better than last year and that's exciting.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    In my view Emery strengthened the roster quite a bit especially on the defensive side of the ball. Each time he's perceived a weakness somewhere he's gone out and effectively "over engineered" a change. If we were gonna have a weakness it sure as hell wouldn't be the same one.

Campbell @ #2 QB and Bush @ #2 RB are guys he over spent on for what we got but they were both a big improvement on who we had filling those roles before they came along. He learned from those mistakes and he's approached those spot differently but IMHO no less effectively.

Offense:
    The biggest move so far was to lock Cutler up for 7 years yet still provide the team with an out after 3 years if he doesn't improve to the point where he's a championship level QB. Adding just de la Puente to the line was a master stroke. We're far better off now with an experience OC/OG who can back both spots this year and take over at OC next. It may not seem like much in comparison to other moves but it was still a very important one and done on the cheap. He brought Britton back to provide depth on the right side of the line and drafted this kid Leno to compete with Brown as a backup on the left side. So we have a good front 5 who have now played an entire season with one another and decent vet backup in the event of an injury. It's a good looking OLine.

Marshall and Jeffery were the top WR duo in the NFL last year but after releasing Bennett we have a need for a slot guy. Wilson is the guy right now but Emery also brought in 3 other vets to compete along with the 3 he already had on the roster. We shouldn't have a problem pulling #3 and #4 WRs out of that bunch and Chris Williams makes a 5th as a return man. TE looks a little thin at the moment but they still seem to think Onobun can make the grade as a #2 or they wouldn't have kept him around. There are also at least a half dozen unsigned vets and two or three more TEs on the roster now not counting Rosario whose more of an HBack and a STeams standout.

Forte shows no signs of decline entering his 7th season and we seem to have improved the #2 and #3 RB spots with competition between Carey, Ford and Lynch plus that kid Draughn they signed before. Fiametta probably has the FB spot wrapped up and I like the way he plays. I'd just like to see him used more as a ball carrier and pass catcher like the Packers do with Kuhn.

Defense:
    Emery made huge strides "over engineering" some additions to the DLine. Even before FA opened he signed Lane and Scott for competition and vet depth at DE. Houston may be been his Plan B FA pickup at DE but I'm not sure we won't actually end up with as good or better a player than we would have with Michael Bennett. I have a good feeling about him and about Willie Young too. Even playing behind guys like Avril and Vanden Bosch he still played some good ball and he gives us a good swing man at DE which is what he was in Detroit. Pep leaves but we add Allen soon after and get the better pass rusher of the too and a high motor guy who'll be a better and more vocal leader both on an off the field. We retained all of the DTs except Melton but replaced him with Sutton and added a kid who may be able to take Ratliff's place in another year or two. We needed two young DT prospects from this draft and we got them. Throw in Izzy as another versatile lineman and another guy with vet leadership and the line now looks as good as it ever has provided they all live up to their billing.

Two Pro Bowl CBs return along with a good vet NB and a younger developing NB with some game experience and we add a rookie corner who some feel will be the best pro out of all the top CBs in this draft. Whether or not that's true Fuller's skill set is a better fit for the Bears than some of the others so we got the right guy. He just needs a little time in an NFL weight room to add a little more muscle but it sounds like he's a tough kid who can cover and hit. We also stowed a couple of guys away on the PS last year who can come in and compete for a spot too. I though C.J. Wilson looked pretty good in the pre-season last year.

Safety was a real sore spot but I think we're far better off there now than many think we are. If Ryan Mundy hadn't been playing behind some great Safeties these past few years I believe he'd have been a starter and I believe that when the season starts he'll be our starting SS. He may be this years Matt Slauson type find. Conte won't be back until the start or camp or later so we have no idea what to expect from him coming off his surgery but I think in some capacity he'll be around this year. I really like this kid Vereen and I think we got a bargain getting him in the 4th round. He's got CB type speed and he can hit and while his tackling may be a little too raw for him to play SS he seems to be a perfect FS "centerfielder" type to compete with Conte and Jennings and it would surprise me at all if he won the starting spot. He could become the Mike Brown type we've missed for so long.

At any rate the improvement in the pass rush should help make the entire defensive backfield look better this year. It must have been brutal back there last year.

The linebacking needs to improve but in needs to come from within. It's always been one of the strong points of any Bears defense and last year they stunk up the place. Having Briggs and Williams healthy for the entire year would help but as they age that gets harder to count on so McClellin and those two draftees from last year need to prove they belong. I think Shea is too good a football player not to find a way to contribute more than he has and Bostic as well although I still believe he's the guy who should eventually replace Briggs. MLB is sketchy behind Williams so if he goes down one of those guys will need to step up. If we don't see some vast improvement out of the three young LBs then next year we're right back to where we started having to rebuild the LB core like we did the line.

Special Teams:
    Tough to lose Devin Hester and all we can hope for is that this kid Chris Williams can perform like he did in the CFL. You don't replace a guy like Hester all you can do is move on with the next best thing. Robbie Gould got his contract extension and that keeps that part of the kicking game settled and it looks like this kid O'Donnell has a big leg and can win the competition for P. Mannelly may or may not return but we stocked up on two other LS just in case.

I thought the coverage teams were pretty poor last year but we did have a lot of turnover. We added some top coverage guys and McManis returned so hopefully we'll see some improvement this year. We could use it.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    David "Never" Fales.

Credit goes to some guy on reddit/r/chibears.. im not that creative.

Great write up Soul!
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I believe this too. He has a scouts mentality so when he sees a player who brings something to the table other than what he has or he's better than what he has he's not afraid to pull the trigger and just let Cliff Stein work out the money fit.

A good GM is always working on back filling the bottom third of his team. Those are the guys who come cheap and are hungry to succeed and get a better deal. The Packers are master at doing just that. They seldom shop for high priced FA talent. They draft well, develop their own younger players and shed higher priced vets who don't earn their keep.

Eventually that's the point Emery needs to get to but it takes time to get there when you're in a win now mode. The other thing that's really helped the Pack is that they've had such superior quarterbacking for so long they could survive with a lesser defense and supporting cast. In a lot of years that was the only real difference between the two teams. We've closed the gap and then some in many other areas and now Cutler needs to take another step forward and become as dominating as Rodgers had been within the NFCN. That's the final brick in this building process.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    :guinness: Thanks Zif. On paper we look better than we have in years. There's a nice combination of older vets and rookies and younger vets just hitting their prime. Now it's up to the coaches to put them in the best position to win games.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,667 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,173ß
    Outstanding post. This is exactly how I see it too.
  11. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    869ß
    If Cutler goes down I would expect us to run the ball alot more with Palmer and his 15 career passes in the NFL and Fales. New RB Carey could be a blessing if something should happen to Cutty.
  12. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    Good post soul, agreed 100%.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    As skilled at building QBs as Trestman may be he still needs good ingredients to work with. Even the best chef can't make a soufflé out of a Betty Crocker cake mix and Hershey Bars.

Fales seems to have those basic ingredients to work with. He throws a nice tight ball on his shorter stuff, he's accurate, and he has a 3:1 TD to Int. ratio so he doesn't turn the ball over a lot.

Knowing how the Bear do things if they didn't think Fales was a kid they could work with the would never have spent a pick on him. We all agreed that we needed to start drafting QBs to develop and he may only be the first in a long line of them. Maybe he works out and maybe he doesn't but we got what we were looking for and his college track record is pretty good.
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,667 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,173ß
    +1

And as a number of people have pointed out, this is not a guy being groomed to be a #1 NFL QB, but rather a guy who (hopefully) can be a serviceable backup in the Trestman system. Probably the most important attribute in this system is to not turn the ball over to opponents & just be a football-smart player in general. It sounds like Fales meets these two criteria. And since he's a drafted player who was chosen in a later round of the draft, he's a cheaper option than a McCown. If he does work out to be a good backup then we can benefit from (finally) having some stability at the position. There is some value to having the same guy there over a span of 4, 5 or more years. I don't care if the guy has a weird name and doesn't throw as hard as Cutler. Just protect the football and play smart within the Trestman system. Move the chains in a WCO and enjoy playing with one of the best set of offensive weapons in the NFL. Life will be good then.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    There it is right there. With as much $$$ as we've invested in Cutler it necessitates keeping the cost of the #2 and #3 guys to a bare minimum at least for now. We couldn't afford to reward McCown for the job he did last year so we lost him and I don't think there's a single soul who holds that against him. We should have either signed him for two years at minimums or paid him a dollar more than that in year one so we could have negotiated with him before others could get to him.

Lesson learned.

I doubt we'll get quite that lucky again with Palmer but there's a good chance that with a years tutelage by Palmer, Trestman and Cavanaugh they can manufacture the perfect backup just as McCown was. A guy whose accurate enough to move the team and smart enough to avoid making riskier thrown and turning the ball over. He doesn't have to win games by himself he just needs to know how not to lose them. If that's what we need we probably found a decent prospect for it.
  16. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,179ß
    Webb is already gearing up his t-shirt enterprise. They are selling like hotcakes (the ones he doesn't eat anyways).

His new T-shirt:

"Fale-ure is not an option"
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Yep, the JWebb Nation must be a lonely place these days. Here's what the auditorium looked like at his last fund raiser for the JWebb Foundation. I hear all he can afford at Mickey D's anymore is the stuff on the dollar menu.

[​IMG]
  18. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    I know back up QB is important but the big one for our offense might be Carey the RB.

If we can spell Forte a bit and actually not make him carry such a heavy load then we can run the ball more with Cutler and that will help keep the defense off the field and help keep Cutler from turnovers and injuries.

If Cutler does get injured and we have not just a good running game but an awesome one then back up QB matters a lot less.

Last year you'd think the O line started with pass protection first and safe and reliable schemes. This year it's time for them to crank it up a notch and develop run blocking so we can run the ball.