NFC North Preview: Packers not unanimous pick

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Papa_Bear_7, Sep 3, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,832 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    87ß
    I have a lot of respect for the GB franchise and team. Top-to-bottom class franchise. And Rodgers is a great QB (arguably the best in the NFL right now).

But I don't believe GB is a "lock" to beat the Bears this year, IMHO.

They scored 23 and 21 points against us last year. I believe our defense (by game-9 when we first meet GB this year) will be better than last year, and maybe significantly better. The Bears offense should be significantly better than last year's. Good enough to put up more than 23 points against GB.

Will we sweep the Packers this year? I think we have a shot at that. GB isn't invincible. But, only time will tell. Could be a couple of epic games this year.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The reasons for the Packers downswing 'are right in my post that you quoted.

Plus, add the fact that they lost one of their best receivers in Greg Jennings and they also have no depth a RB due to key injuries there in addition to the injuries on the OL that I mentioned in my previous post.

There is no doormat in the NFC North like in years past that they can take two easy wins from either. Their consistent consistency is going to seriously be tested this year.
  3. Evernight

Evernight Rookie

Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Jennings didn't play the majority of last season and the offense didn't miss a beat. I sincerely doubt he'll be missed. They haven't had depth at RB since Ahman Green and that hasn't stopped them from being a prolific offense.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,832 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    87ß
    Obviously none of us will know anything until the games are played. But, it looks like the Packers, Bears and maybe even the Vikings, will be good teams this season. I just don't believe it's a "lock" that the Packers will win the division this year. I don't think they'll magically become a bad team. I just don't believe it's a "given" that they will win the division. I guess that's why they play the games.
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +990 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    You can't deny that GB's great WR depth (enormous previously) isn't there anymore. Still a solid starting lineup so true it may not matter, but then again, it may depending upon Cobb's/Nelson's ability to avoid injury.

And let's forget about "depth" at RB, how about a starter that makes defenses respect and fear him? I don't see one.

OL? Unless Newhouse suddenly becomes at RT what Webb couldn't be for Chicago and Bakhtiari miraculously becomes a very rare 4th round rookie to wow at LT, that's a tough pass pro lineup to have much faith in. Run blocking wasn't exactly stellar in preseason either.

Can Rodgers overcome all that? Yeah he can. Maybe. Throw in a very tough schedule and I'd say the NFCN title is very much up for grabs and not just "the Packers' to lose" as it has been recently.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    That game could very well be the one that gets us a playoff berth. I'd love to win the division but if we are a WC & go into the playoffs on a roll I'd like our chances.
  7. Evernight

Evernight Rookie

Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Actually the WR depth is very much still there. We have everyone from last season with the addition of a few younger guys that had surprisingly good camps and preseason outings.

I think Lacy will turn some heads this season providing the offensive line doesn't allow allow the defense to get into the backfield immediately on every attempt. He didn't really get to show what he could do in pre-season as we never had a pass threat with Rodgers playing almost not at all. With Rodgers in, defenses will very much have to respect the pass and that will let him do his thing. I'm not expecting amazing things from him by any means, but from seeing the authority he runs with in person at training camp, he has a chance to be good if he can can stay healthy.

Bakhtiari has looked very good for a rookie offensive lineman. Granted he hasn't faced the likes of Peppers or Suh yet. He seemed to hold his own and made very few noticeable mistakes.

As for the NFCN, I've never thought for a second it was the Packers division to lose. This season will be probably one of the biggest dog fights for the top spot we've ever seen. Granted one key injury to any of the teams changes the lay of the land entirely.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'd say without the extremely difficult schedule the Pack has to play, they'd be the nearly unanimous pick to win, but that coupled with the other factors provide for a fun contest (hopefully).
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,832 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    87ß

Those two final points are the keys to the season. Injuries to KEY players for either team will change everything. If either QB goes down to serious injury I figure that's "it" for that team. But your other point, about the dogfight, is good too. I figure that the team that comes out on top in an outstanding division like the NFC-N is this year - will be battle hardened for the playoffs. That's a great thing. The winning divisional team will be used to playing outstanding talent within the division (even the Vikes could be pretty tough this year). Whoever wins the division, I'd sure like to see them win it all (even if it's the Packers).
  10. Evernight

Evernight Rookie

Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Agreed. I fully expect the Bears offense to be improved, though to what degree won't be known until around the mid-season mark when they start to gel. If the defense remains as good as it normally is, that should be enough to keep them in games until the offense does. It will depend 100% on Cutler not playing like himself. If he stops the bone head throws, who knows what they can achieve.

The Lions could potentially be dangerous, however they're still far far too undisciplined - which will likely be the case until they get a new coach that instills a new culture in that locker room. Until such time, I'll have a hard time taking them seriously - which is sad given the amount of talent they have on that team.

The Vikings will once again live and die by AP. It's scary how good that team could be with a QB capable of actually throwing the ball. Teams will once again stack the line and make Ponder attempt to throw while AP pounds them into oblivion.

The Packers will live and die by Rodgers, with hopefully at least a marginally improved defense.

If everyone stays healthy (which of course the Packers are already failing at doing) it will make for some very memorable games. Here's to an awesome, injury free season!
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,999 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    203ß
    Offensively, sure. But they also have Suh and Jared Allen
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,832 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    87ß
    +1

The NFC-N has some incredibly talented DL players & LB's who can bring the heat on any QB.
  13. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

oh the agony