NFL Bans Throwback Helmet Designs In Odd Move

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Adibear, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Adibear

Adibear Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/gri...html?_osource=Newltr_Station_Hdlines_Chicagov

2013 in Chicago, Illinois. (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)
    When the Chicago Bears unveiled their 1940's throwback uniforms back in 2010, one of the most distinctive features of the gear outside of the snazzy orange numbers was the helmet, which was a plain blue helmet without the distinctive orange "C" on the side.
    The Bears broke those uniforms out again in their Week 2 victory over the Minnesota Vikings at Soldier Field, but for fans of the look, don't get used to it.
    That's because the Bears, along with all other NFL teams, will be required to wear the same style of helmet for every game of the season under a rule that the league passed this week. Paul Roumeliotis has the details:
    "According to the NFL, effective immediately, the rule is being installed because the transition to a different helmet can cause a greater risk of an injury.
    "As a result, teams planning on using throwback uniforms won't be allowed to wear their throwback helmet to match their uniform. Teams will be obligated to use their regular team helmets with an option of additional logos and facemasks."
    The Bears obviously got lucky here because their current helmets match the throwback uniforms anyway, but Roumeliotis points out that teams like the Tampa Bay Buccaneeers, who were planning on wearing their vintage orange and white uniform and helmet combinations later this month, are out of luck.
    Other teams that spring to mind when discussing clubs who wear different helmets include the Buffalo Bills, the San Diego Chargers, and the St. Louis Rams. The New England Patriots have also employed the same tactic when wearing their throwback uniforms, the same ones they wore when the Bears crushed them 46-10 in Super Bowl XX.
    What do you think of the new rule, Bears fans? Is it a logical choice to protect player safety, or an overreach from the league?
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,160ß
    They ought to outlaw the Steeler's throwback uniforms for being butt ugly.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +691 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    396ß
    those uniforms ugly, disgusting, putrid and barf bag required. I wish the pack had to wear those.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,045 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,279ß
    The packers throw backs are not much better

[​IMG]
  5. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +202 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    152ß
    Someone should be put in jail for those rags.
  6. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    IMO, it looks like someone was already put in jail.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,160ß
    LOL, that was exactly my thought when I first saw those unis. Looks like prison inmates on a chain-gang.
  8. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,588 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    Yeah, i posted the original Buccs thread on this the other day, and i STILL can't wrap my head around the reasoning for this. In this day and age, they can not properly fit more than a single helmet or something? wtf?