NFL.com: Bears are #1 Candidate For HBO's Hard Knocks

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, May 26, 2014.

1. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-hard-knocks-team?campaign=Twitter_atl_hanzus

Who will be the 'Hard Knocks' team?
    [​IMG]
    Dan Hanzus
    Around the League Writer
    +Follow on Twitter

VIDEO LOADING

WE'RE SORRY, BUT THIS VIDEO IS NOT AVAILABLE.
    WATCH MORE VIDEOS

REPLAY

Inside 'Hard Knocks': That's a wrap
    [​IMG]

upload_2014-5-26_19-37-59.gif

[​IMG][​IMG]
    00:00/05:20

[​IMG][​IMG]

The moment of clarity is fast approaching for NFL fans holding out hope their team will be featured on the next season of "Hard Knocks."

Around The League will again provide episode recaps when the ninth installment of the acclaimed HBO series kicks off in August. In the meantime, let's offer up our best educated guess on which team might be chosen.

Disclaimer: Yes, Roger Goodell signs my paycheck, but no, I don't have any inside information on the "Hard Knocks" process. It's possible Booya, the guy who makes sandwiches at the office cafeteria, is more plugged in on Shield initiatives than I am.

Consider me a fan of the show just like you. Let's do a Brian Baldinger pinky shake on it.

Who can duck the cameras?

Under new rules implemented by the NFL last year, teams can avoid "Hard Knocks" if they fall under any of three exemptions: 1) A first-year head coach is in place; 2) A playoff berth in the past two seasons; 3) A "Hard Knocks" appearance in the past 10 years.

Under those guidelines, the following teams are excused if they so wish: Dolphins ("Hard Knocks" 2012), Patriots (playoffs), Jets("Hard Knocks" 2010), Ravens (playoffs), Bengals (playoffs, "Hard Knocks" 2009, 2013), Browns (new coach), Texans (new coach, playoffs), Colts (playoffs), Titans (new coach), Broncos(playoffs), Chiefs (playoffs, "Hard Knocks" 2007), Chargers(playoffs), Cowboys ("Hard Knocks" 2008), Eagles (playoffs),Redskins (new coach, playoffs), Lions (new coach), Packers(playoffs), Vikings (new coach, playoffs), Falcons (playoffs),Panthers (playoffs), Saints (playoffs), Buccaneers (new coach),49ers (playoffs) and Seahawks (playoffs).

Who can duck the cameras ... but might not

ProFootballTalk reported last week that "Hard Knocks" has "potential volunteers" in play this year. The reporting didn't go any further than that, but here are four teams that could get involved by choice.

Browns: If owner Jimmy Haslam really did play a key role in drafting Johnny Manziel, you know the Browns are all-in on the ride that goes with Johnny Football.

VIDEO LOADING

WATCH MORE VIDEOS

REPLAY

'Manziel Mania' in full force
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    00:00/03:00

[​IMG][​IMG]

Titans: The Titans could wisely use the "Hard Knocks" platform to remind the world they exist.

Cowboys: Obviously, the Cowboys will be the first team to pull the "Hard Knocks" hat trick. (They've been on the show in 2002 and 2008.) It's just a matter of time.

Jets: The only fear for Gang Green here would be if HBO cameras accidentally stumbled upon the underground bunker where the real Rex Ryan is being held.

And while we're here, four teams we can safely eliminate from contention:

49ers: Jim Harbaugh would literally rather die.

Packers: You think HBO will be on board with five broadcast hours devoted to the burning charisma of Mike McCarthy?

Broncos: Though I could certainly see John Elway being open to cameras capturing his unquestioned genius, Peyton Manningwants no part of Liev Schreiber in his life.

Patriots: I guess it could happen.

The Elite Eight

OK, "elite" is a bit strong. Let's call them The Vulnerable Eight. These are the eight teams that are not protected by the NFL's bylaws and thus can be drafted whether they want to be Schreiber'd or not.

Since we're here: Teams need to relax about "Hard Knocks." Appearing on the show doesn't mean Littlefinger is going to divulge your audible packages to the masses. The Bengalsdidn't flame out in the playoffs in January because an undrafted linebacker covered an underrated John Mayer single.

"Hard Knocks" has always prioritized the human element of the process first and foremost. Get over yourselves and get involved with the best NFL program in the history of the television medium.

Moving on ...

OK, now let's rank the eight "unprotected" teams in order of watchability. There's a good chance "Hard Knocks" will be working with one of the teams below:

VIDEO LOADING

WATCH MORE VIDEOS

REPLAY

Bortles: 'I compete against myself'
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    00:00/01:36

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Jaguars: Blake Bortles is one of the more compelling players to come out of the draft. Unfortunately, the Jags have already decided Chad Henne will be the team's starter. Also, no Brad Meester. No Brad Meester!!!

7. Raiders: The Silver and Black received some desperately needed reinforcements through free agency and the draft, but a good "Hard Knocks" team should have at least some tangibleSuper Bowl hope. You won't find it here.

6. Steelers: We like the idea of "Hard Knocks" getting access to a team that otherwise wouldn't allow such perceived tomfoolery. Mike Tomlin has always deserved his own reality show. Opportunity knocks.

5. Bills: The Bills could use some exposure, especially at a time when the team is up for sale and Jon Bon Jovi is growing in his villain mustache. It's too bad Mike Pettine moved on to Cleveland -- he was a regular scene-stealer during the Jets' "Hard Knocks" season of 2010.

4. Cardinals: Bruce Arians -- one of the best personalities in the coaching game -- would shine here. Great star power with Larry Fitzgerald, Patrick Peterson and Carson Palmer, plus an intriguing subplot tracking Honey Badger's recovery from knee surgery. Best of all, the potential for another Antonio Cromartie pop quiz!

VIDEO LOADING

WATCH MORE VIDEOS

REPLAY

What does Sam need to do to make the Rams roster?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    00:00/03:58

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Giants: Like Pittsburgh, the Giants fall under the "forbidden fruit" category of "Hard Knocks." Football fans would be lucky to get an inside look at one of football's top organizations.

2. Rams: The charismatic Jeff Fisher is in the mix, as is general manager Les Snead -- owner of professional football's best hair. There's a nice collection of talent here, plus the obviousMichael Sam subplot. Bonus points for getting to watch the coaching staff talk itself into the Sam Bradford Era for five consecutive weeks.

Which leaves just one team ...

1. Bears: This just feels right. A franchise with a proud history, serious star power (Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, Matt Forte, Alshon Jeffrey), a vaguely mysterious head coach (Marc Trestman) and a breakout comic presence (Martellus Bennett). And yes, there's legitimate Super Bowl promise involved.

Have I mentioned Jay Cutler? The NFL's most self-aware villain was born for this documentary format. Cutler's wife, meanwhile, has royal reality bloodlines and could knock Lauren Tannehill from her perch as the queen of "Hard Knocks."

Sign 'em up.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" predicts 2014 starting lineups and talks insider goodness with Bucky Brooks.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,674 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,866ß
    seeing as I don't have HBO, much like Cutler, Don't care.

But I do think that IF all things are equal(no team wants it and the NFL/HBO has to choose) Chicago would probably be the top choice.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    I don't see a problem with it at all. I don't think it'll be a distraction.

It'll make for great TV with the Bears' cast of characters. Could do wonders for Cutler's falsely perceived personality image as well.
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    I'd definitely watch it, just gotta download off torrent site first haha
    • Like Like x 2
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I do see it as a distraction and with the some very tough road games early on it would be a double screwing as far as I'm concerned. The Bears have always been a fairly private organization and with their fans base they don't need the extra publicity as badly as a team that has trouble putting butts in seats like JAX.

Forget about yourselves as TV fans for once and think about the possibility that it does create enough of a distraction that we stumble coming out of the gate and that costs us the playoffs later on. Which do you want more? A ringside seat at training camp via Hard Knocks or to be watching Bears football in late January 2015?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,674 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,866ß
    well if Soul thinks it's wrong, it's got to be right, I'm not 100% sold on the Bears doing it and still winning the championship.
  7. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +748 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    Honestly, I'm against it and I've said so before. However, they haven't called me yet, so...

If they are chosen, I will have to figure a way to get HBO temporarily because even though I'm against it, I will watch it.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    I don't see this as a distraction at all. *Maybe* (and that's a big maybe) it would be a distraction if the show was done during the regular season. But they do it during Training Camp.

These are grown men who are used to having their personal and professional lives under the microscope 24-7. Especially in today's day and age of up-to-the-minute media. (Twitter and Facebook anyone?) They practically have microphones and cameras in their faces all the time with or without Hard Knocks.

There is no evidence that Hard Knocks has been a distraction to any team. If the 8 teams involved, more than half (5) had winning records and half (4) made the playoffs:

2001 Ravens 10-6 Made Playoffs
    2002 Cowboys 5-11
    2007 Chiefs 4-12
    2008 Cowboys 9-7
    2009 Bengals 10-6 Made Playoffs
    2010 Jets 11-5 Made Playoffs
    2012 Dolphins 7-9
    2013 Bengals 11-5 Made Playoffs

Every NFL team has to do it at least once. The Bears might as well get it out of the way sooner rather than later.

Plus now is as good a time as any to get the Bears cast of characters on camera, get an inside look at Cutler, and get some good national MOJO going with this team.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,674 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,866ß
    i'm not questioning your point BiM's, but what about the missing years? Did they not do HK's those years?
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,674 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,866ß
    I really think it has more to do w/the quality of the team and the the profesionality of the players/coaches.

If they have a football first mentality then I don't think the show would bother them. If the team is full of youth and me first guys, or a bad coaching staff I could see how it could be a problem...but is that a team that's gonna do a lot of winning if they aren't there?
    • Like Like x 2
  11. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    Riczaj --

The show wasn't on in the missing years.

I agree 100% with your other point. If a team let's a documentary program distract it enough to miss the playoffs, then there were probably more pressing issues with the team to begin with that caused it to falter.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    I think it's safe to say that this year's Hard Knocks team will be out of the NFC.

6 of the previous 8 were AFC teams with the lone NFC team being the Cowboys twice.
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,674 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,866ß
    that leaves the Cards, Giants, Rams and Bears as probables(since Cowboys had it 2x's already).

I could see the Rams as a possibility also.

1)Rams(they might well want it)
    2)Bears
    3)Cards(might also want it but not as interesting)
    4)Giants
  14. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,631 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    689ß
    Trestman (and guys like BM) has changed the culture of the locker room to where this won't be as big of a deal as it's made out to be. If Lovie were still here, that'd be a different story.

Anyhoo, didn't the Bengals make the playoffs last year, when they were on?

Also this: the only team that would be more interesting than the Bears for 'Hard Knocks' would be the trainwreck Dolphins, and they honestly belong on Jerry Springer instead.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Look, we have a dozen new additions to the defense and those guys have an entirely new scheme to put in and learn. An HBO crew running around asking guys to do it "once more for the camera" WILL be a distraction I promise you that. If this is such a wonderful deal for NFL teams why do so many of them try to avoid it? Why aren't teams competing with one another having a bidding war to be the guys chosen? Tell me that. The Bear don't want this and I can see why.

Saying they're pro and it's not a distraction is just whistling in the dark. It is but most of you would rather not admit it. It's a fucking reality TV show for Christ sake. It's not NFL films coming in to document it in a professional manner. Reality shows like drama and conflict and THAT'S what you all want sliming around the Bears training camp? Let's have a daily survivor session to see who gets voted off the team. It's a bullshit reality show not a documentary of the Bears camp.

It's not a good idea and it could have a very negative impact. Trust me.
  16. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,167 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,584ß
    Not necessarily.

The first year of Hard Knocks (2001)Ravens were on. That year they went 10-6, won their division.
    2009, Bengals were on, they won their division with a record of 10-6
    2010 Jets were on, they went 11-5 made the playoffs
    2012 Bengals were on, went 11-5, won the division

50% of the time the team has made the playoffs.
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Sorry Benji but that's useless info. It means nothing. They could all have been Super Bowl Champs for all I care. Past results do not assure that future performance will be the same. That's in every investment prospectus I hand a client and for good reason. It's absolutely 100% true.

The only issue that's important is the one facing the Bears right now and from everything I've read or heard they do NOT want to be the team featured on Hard Knocks. They have their reasons and I assume they're good ones so that's all I need to know.

I'm opposed to it because my team is opposed to it. What more do we need to know?
  18. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,167 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,584ß
    I was just showing that it is not one or the other as you insinuated.

I personally do not care if they are on or not.
  19. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    Yeah I mean God forbid someone tries to throw logic, reason, and actual results into the conversation right? They mean absolutely nothing. (according to you)

Sure beats the "gut feeling" your having that you're trying to pass off as facts.
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,674 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,866ß
    The only reason and logic and stats that matter are the ones that Soul brings to the conversation, yours and anyone else's have no barring in his world or how it reflects into everyone else's.

reality is that if the team has a winning culture b/c of GM/coaches/players, and not even historically look at cincy, then the team will be fine, and would have been fine w/out it. If they don't have that culture they weren't going to succeed regardless.
    • Like Like x 1