NFL Competition Committee considering moving XP to 25 yard line

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Jimmors, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,588 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    Link

2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,261 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    better option then just removing the xp, althogh I get why they would look at that also.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,588 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    Yeah, was not a fan of removing it altogether, that would screw with a bunch of records. But this idea i can live with. Still part of the game, and would make games more interesting. (seriously, how many of us have used an XP attempt as a bathroom break?)
    • Like Like x 2
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,649 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,145ß
    I would think most fans would prefer this to nuking it all together.
  5. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    130ß
    i like that idea, besides we have robbie
  6. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    I'd be good with moving it to the spot on the field where the ball crossed the line as is done in Rugby with a minimum of 5 yards back of the end line.
    JMHO though.
    :)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    So if you score a TD to come within (1) point on the last play of the game, you still have to kick a 43 yd extra point to tie or go for two & the win? I don't know if my heart can take that stress!
  8. Seqq34

Seqq34 Veteran

Ratings:
    +72 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    39ß
    Couple of the wrinkles I see...
    a 43 yard xp to win or tie a game, like BearJim said
    and
    the 2-point conv....might be easier to go for 2 than kick a 43 yard fg and IMO the 2-pt should be twice as hard to achieve out of the two.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. GibsonMcQueen

GibsonMcQueen Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I like the idea. Apparently 42yd field goal has an 83% success rate last year. I think 8 - 2 is a good ratio. In theory you'd probably see a miss every 2nd game. Given that a 2 point conversion seems to only be successful around a third of the time, the difficulty ration between a 2pt and XP would still (barring extreme weather) be fair (twice as hard at least). I think if not the 25yd then at least move the XP to the 18yd and make it a 35yd attempt.

The idea of moving it inline with where the player crossed for the TD doesn't seem practical. Since the offense and defense will still be lining up parrallel to the endzone, trying to get the angle accross your body for the kick is difficult. Further, the way they do it in rugby (League and Union) the ball is placed near horizontal so as to allow the kicker to put curl on the ball to widen the angle of the uprights (similar to a soccer player) but a Kicker is very much limited by the holder in that aspect.
  10. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I'd like a simple solution like this. Score a TD as 7 points instead of 6 points. Give the scoring team the chance of taking a shot at a 1 point conversion running or passing from the two yard line. If you succeed you get another point and if you don't you lose a point. Now if a team scores to tie late in the game what do they do? Accept the tie an go to OT or go for the win knowing they could lose if they fail. THAT creates excitement.

If they move XPs back to the 25 Robbie Gould and every other PK in the league will practice them until their legs fall off and pretty soon they'll hit 95% of those or more too. It's like 3 pointers in BB. Shoot them all the time and your percentage goes up. I'm more in favor of losing the PK extra point altogether in favor of the +1 or -1 conversion. There's more risk and more tactical decision making that goes with it. Let's make coaches coach.