NFL considering expanded playoffs

Discussion in 'Rival Team Forum' started by little bear, Sep 29, 2013.

1. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,011 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,155ß
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9...ostseason-format-3-game-preseason-sources-say

Sources: NFL mulls 14 playoff teams

The NFL is urgently discussing a new scheduling formula that would include a three-game preseason and could also feature an expanded postseason field from 12 to 14 teams, sources league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Chris Mortensen.

The expanded postseason proposal would offset teams' lost revenue from the elimination of a preseason game, and it also could lead to additional television revenues for the league.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell alluded to the league's interest in the new scheduling model during an interview this past week, although he said the changes likely would not happen in 2014.

But sources told ESPN that the changes could still be implemented as early as 2014 if the NFL can procure the necessary votes from team owners. The league also would need to establish a new preseason scheduling formula, get sponsorship agreements and resolves a few stadium lease issues, sources said.

The NFL's competition committee recommended the three-game preseason model as the minimum necessary period for player evaluation and development, sources said.

--------------------

I remember how everyone complained that the 7-9 Seahawks made they playoffs. If they add 2 teams get ready for it every single year.
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,634 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    691ß
    I think it could be a good thing. Only one team from each conference gets a bye week (you can't have 2 teams with a bye week for 14 to work), and more often than not, a good team misses the playoffs. Not so with an extra wild card spot.
  3. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,727 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,099ß
    Yeah, i would say it works because of the bye week thing, but they really should wait until they expand to 34 teams or something, before they expand the playoffs. 14 out of 32 teams? Thats basically half the damned league guaranteed to make the playoffs. We will start seeing 8-8 teams making it on a regular basis, and the NFL will be just like College FBS...make it to .500, and youre in!!
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,690 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    Sadly it's already happening b/c the best records don't get in, just the div winners. Wasn't Sea a few years ago .500?

I'd be more happy if they fixed that, div winners have to have a minimal of 10 wins to be guaranteed in.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    Right now it is a rare occurance that a sub .500 team makes the playoffs. Last year we would have likely made it at 10-6, and Lovie might still be around.

Don't like it.
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,634 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    691ß
    I agree with the sentiment, but with a difference. I think an exception should be made if somehow a 6-10 team or lower wins the division, that division spot is disqualified
    Phil said that Lovie was likely gone, even if he had a win in the wild card round. So, we woulda been safe, either way, lol