NFL continues to face assault on blackout rule

Discussion in 'NFL Forum' started by Bearstuff, Aug 13, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,906ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!

I don't care what trick they use, they did it and there was no blackout. The team isn't making money off the stadiums anymore so they really aren't that worried, their money comes from TV deals. Now if the simple answer is to lower the costs of the tickets in those cities, but I think you would find that even if they did fans wouldn't show up. B/c most of the teams you pointed to aren't good and have had long bouts of being bad (ATL/SD as the exceptions).

But my point is that THOSE teams I pointed out are the problems, when the issue is so big that they cannot hide the issue then they need to move. Especially for a good team like SD.

2. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods.
    Staff Member SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    812ß
    So, you support the blackout rule (which was created to ensure stadium attendance), even though a third of the league has to pull tricks to get the games broadcast locally? That just doesn't make sense. Why not just do away with the blackout rule, and let teams determine what cities will support them by attending games? Why go through the gyrations?

Me, I'm all for transparency. No smoke and mirrors, no half truths, no lies. You can support lies if you want, but I'm surprised (based upon how much you "call it like it is").

3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,906ß
    To me the blackout rule is showing you 3 teams have an issue and should look at moving.

The others are misdirection via buying their own tickets, or having someone provider purchase the tickets. But imo(and I've seen nothing given by you or found on the internet) then those #'s are not huge, Got a 60K stadium and 5K don't show, buy the tickets easy enough, 60K stadium and 10K show up, black out b/c no one is taking that kind of hit on 50K tickets.

4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,906ß
    here I did some research, Last year Bills owner purchased tickets for a game, Bills stadium holds 73K people, he purchased 5K of them(lol I damn near hit that one on the head

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-11-15/bills-owner-buys-unsold-tickets-to-avoid-blackout

Bengals 2 K tickets needed to be sold, it's a 65K stadium

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...mble-to-avoid-first-nfl-blackout-of-the-year/

ESPN shows 3 groups struggling, you are talking 5-8K tops tickets not selling out in 50-80K stadiums.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10222617/thousands-unsold-seats-lambeau-field

btw, I have yet to see anything in this research showing 1/3rd of the league is struggling to sell tickets, all the research keeps coming back w/SD, Cincy, Bills, etc.

When the stadium is 90+% full they SHOULD buy the remaining tickets. My problem is there is no problem, the system works. If a team were to decide to blackout b/c of 5k unsold tickets they should get blasted by their fans; but if the fans were to not walk into their stadium perferring to stay home and that 50-80K stadium is now only 1/3rd full then the team SHOULD have the right to black out the game.

5. Bearstuff

Staff Member SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    812ß
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. The great an powerful Oz will make sure that "only the deserving" will get their reward of a broadcast. The great and powerful Oz will also make sure that fans in general have no idea of attendance issues.

Cameras don't show all of the stands. Fans can't tell that the team isn't supported from their couch.

The Bears have the smallest stadium in the league, and 85% of the tickets sold still leaves over 9,000 empty seats. That is tough on the vendors, parking, area restaurants, hotels, cabs and the cities economy in general. Imagine the impact of larger stadiums. And all of that assumes that the team doesn't have an interest in the stadium, which over half do.

Then somewhere in the future, those cities will be held hostage as the teams ask for new stadiums (maybe with less seats, but still damned expensive on taxpayers).

6. Bearstuff

Staff Member SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    812ß
    LOL, you think he purchased 5k tickets to fill the stadium???? He purchased 5k tickets to give the illusion that only 11k seats were empty.

You're missing the point entirely, to keep from blacking out, they only need 85% of tickets sold. The teams are buying those tickets to get to 85%, not 100%.

You're looking at PFT's stories about the team buying tix, what about the broadcasters doing it. What about the stadiums that close off entire sections in order to manipulate the system.

I think it's cute you think the blackout rule is being "straight up" with fans....and taxpayers.

7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,906ß
    coming from the guy not providing any proof of his #'s...Oz is definately exposed. I expect your next post to have some kind of sources proving that 1/3rd of NFL teams are struggling to sell out, and that they are struggling to get the final 8-9-10K + tickets sold on a consistant basis.

So your point is that 20% of SOME stadiums are empty? that's the point? And again feel free to give me the #'s on 1/3rd I'm still waiting for proof of their supposed troubles. As of right now 4 or so teams are struggling over the last 2-3 years, of which 1 or 2 are good and shouldn't have issues and should look at moving. The others(Bills) just need to be good and their stadium would sell out.

You don't change rules for the vast minority struggling in a billion dollar business.

PFT, ESPN, Sporting news.....ya I used multiple sources...3x's as many as you have.

#17 riczaj01, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  8. Bearstuff

Staff Member SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    812ß
    Pay very close attention, because I am tired of saying it....

This isn't about selling out. It is about selling 85% of the tickets. Further, it's about selling 85% of available tickets after stadiums have blocked off entire sections.

My sources: Time, Rick Harrow's "beyond the scoreboard" (he has a website, but I was actually listening to him on the radio)

This has been a problem for years, so only looking at last year's numbers doesn't exactly make sense. All of the franchises I listed have had blackout issues within the last few years.

Taxpayers are asked to fund (at least in part) new stadiums costing in the billions, and thanks to the manipulations done in order to keep broadcasts going, the taxpayers don't have a clue what the true need is or whether the return on investment is even possible.

Smoke and mirrors.

9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,906ß
    So in other words you have no credited sources saying that 1/3 rd of the league cannot sell 85% of their stadiums tickets...gotcha. I will continue w/my sited sources saying that over the last 2-3 years only a handfull teams are struggling on any kind of consistant basis.

If you wanna talk about taxpayer funded stadiums, and all that, so be it, I can see reasons for thinking both ways. But no way the league is trying to create larger stadiums on taxpayer dollars to create more blackouts; they make more in TV revenue then they ever will in stadium revenue; so in no scerio is the NFL going to want to blackout games to try and drive revenue to the stadium.

If you wanna talk about the ticket prices being 2 high, and therefore leading to these games being blacked out, I'll somewhat agree w/you but I think there's more to it then that. Drop the tickets by 1/4th and they'll still struggle, b/c the team isn't consistantly good and the support from the fanbase is going to be poor regardless.

10. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,886ß
    This is why im glad i live nowhere near an NFL stadium, i never have to worry about local blackouts :)