NFL continues to face assault on blackout rule

Discussion in 'Rival Team Forum' started by Bearstuff, Aug 13, 2014.

1. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +744 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,171ß
    DirectTV advertises that you can watch every game on Sunday Ticket. They lie. There is at least one Bears game per season that I can't watch, because I get blacked out. I can see why the NFL has an interest in blacking out people who live around Chicago, but I am out here in Seattle for cryin' out loud! When I called DirectTV to bitch about it, they say they have no choice, because the NFL negotiates these separate deals with the individual NFL franchises.
  2. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,227 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    602ß
    Ric, you can think what you want. I'll admit to having difficulty googling up the same list of stories I found the other day (I can't remember what I put in, but I got a totally different set of results). I'll admit to being lazy on the follow up too.

The whole subject started (for me) with Rick Horrow's radio spot talking about blackouts over the last 5 seasons. You many not know who he is, but read up on him here, he is a legit insider on the business side of sports (he builds stadiums , hangs out with owners, sports league union chiefs, governors, mayors etc.). I've always enjoyed his stuff on any subject. The problem with sourcing radio stuff in print is...well the medium. His site only has some podcasts up, not his entire show library. Maybe it will get posted soon, I just heard it this week.

Then I saw the article on PFT that I posted and put it here, then followed up with the mystery google search that I can't seem to replicate.

So, nope I can't "source" what I heard and read (mostly in a Time article that I can't find). I know what I heard and read and I'm certain that the sources are more credible than PFT and ESPN.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,581 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    I've had Direct TV's Sunday Ticket up until last year, the only reason you get "blacked out" is b/c the game is on in your area already so you have to normally go to the Fox cable channel. I live in San Antonio and never missed a Chicago Bears game when I had S.T.

Bears, I'm not saying there aren't teams that struggle, I'm just saying I when I look for the information it's not found to the extent you made it out to be. And I honestly don't have an issue if the stadium is close but not quite there to having the blackout lifted of the team or someone else buying the tickets up. That's a good business choice and makes sense for them and the NFL.
  4. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +744 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,171ß
    Yes, I can often get these games on other channels, but not always. When I called DirecTV, they apologize but tell me it is out of their control. It's a good thing I am not a Seahawks fan -- life could be worse!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MIKETOUHY

MIKETOUHY Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    I don't see what's outdated about wanting the stadiums filled.
  6. Passepartout

Passepartout Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    Team keeps winning, stadiums are full. Teams that keep losing, they are not as full. You see?!:3 3 105[1]: