NFL DRAFT: Bears Want Another Solid RB Who Can Carry The Load

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, May 1, 2014.

1. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +282 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    With all of the CB/S/DT talk, the one position of major need which is being overlooked is RB. Especially when you look at the workload Forte had last year. (Most touches of any RB in 2013) The Bears REALLY need a solid 2nd option at RB. Ford will be given a chance. Draughn isn't the answer. They absolutely have to draft one in the later rounds in 2014.

NFL Draft: Bears want another solid RB who can carry the load
    BY PATRICK FINLEY Staff Reporter April 30, 2014 10:32PM

Leading up to the NFL draft, which begins May 8, the Sun-Times has taken a position-by-position look at the Bears’ needs and which players might be available to fill them. This is the last in the series.

Given Marc Trestman’s quarterback-guru reputation and the stunning skill of the Bears’ best receivers, the following might surprise you: No running back in the NFL touched the ball more than Matt Forte in 2013.

He had 289 carries and 74 receptions, setting career highs with 1,339 rushing yards and 594 receiving yards.

This offseason, the Bears dumped reserve Michael Bush after the worst season of his career. They signed Shaun Draughn, who had four rushes last season, to join Michael Ford, who spent his rookie year on special teams.

Finding a suitable backup for Forte in the middle to late rounds of the draft next week isn’t as simple as it might appear.

Via the draft or with a late free-agent pickup, the Bears need a complementary piece, but one who, were Forte to be injured, could carry the load.

“I’m sure [Trestman] is looking for a young back that has some similar traits to Forte,” ESPN analyst Jon Gruden said of his longtime friend. “To be a running back for the Bears in this current system, you’ve got to be sharp.

“You’ve got to be able to handle a lot of offense: picking up blitzes, understanding protections, audibles. …
    “You’ve got to be able to catch the football and do something after you do that.
    “And you’ve got to be able to run an array of different runs.”

Tyler Gaffney has the bell-cow thing down.

He rushed 330 times as a senior for Stanford, third only to Boston College Heisman Trophy finalist Andre Williams and Arizona All-American Ka’Deem Carey
    “Taking care of your body, before and after, was a huge thing to get through this year,” said Gaffney, who had 1,709 rushing yards, eighth in the country.

He played baseball in the Pirates’ system — and not football — the year before.

Gaffney, who spoke with the Bears at the NFL Scouting Combine, said most NFL teams have wanted reassurances that he’s in football to stay.

“This is what I love; this is what I want to do,” he said. “I wouldn’t have left baseball otherwise.”
    Gaffney could be drafted near where the Bears will look to take a rusher.

Others will, too: ESPN’s Todd McShay said 11 running backs could be selected from the end of the second round through the fourth.

Gaffney has told teams he’s willing do whatever they need to make the team.

“I tell them, ‘You’re going to get a tough guy, and more than you bargained for,’ ” he said. “I’ve been told many times that I wasn’t good enough to do that, wasn’t fast enough to do this. I felt I’ve proved everybody wrong.”
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

Ratings:
    +2,806 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,497ß
    I'm so numb to the whole draft thing right now. Just pick someone and tell me who we have. That's kind of where I'm at right now. Just too long of a buildup and I almost don't care any more. And we still have another week to go.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,854 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,066ß
    draft is what 7 days away? seriously it needs to be 2. This is all babble and waxing idiotic. No one knows how the team feels about Ford, maybe they aren't as impressed as fans are and they will take a RB earlier, maybe they are very high on Ford, and in that case won't look until much later, no one knows.
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,617 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    659ß
    I'm in the same boat, BiH. Sick of talking about the draft and prospects. Just pick
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,854 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,066ß
    I was thinking about this article this morning; I think it's the perfect example of reverse engineering a story. A group of NFL draft guys sits in a room and talks about a position, this instance RB, and they say okay what are the areas these guys excel at and what teams fit them. Hey this guy is a jack of all trades guy, who uses a RB like that, you kidding, the Bears and Forte, oh hey Forte had the most touches of his career and he's nearing the dreaded 30, so they must want this RB...there ya go there's the story get to it.
  6. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +765 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    You big whiner!
  7. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,806 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,497ß
    I have a low tolerance for pain. Well, at least this kind of pain :lol3:
  8. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +317 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    Good, we better want one.
  9. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +504 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    119ß
    I hope we want one, and hope we get a quality guy but I think I'm at the same point that most fans are. This new moving the draft date back has backfired IMO. I lose interest in the articles and NFLN speculation by the day. I know idiot Goodell thought that this would just give 2 more weeks of frenzy in draft talk but for me, it has has the opposite effect. I was hyped and ready 2 weeks ago but everything that needs to be/can possibly be said has been said a hundred times. There is nothing else to talk about, and it has been speculated on from every angle. Even on here, the debates have died down, we all have voiced our opinions and mocks and now all that can be done is just watch playoff hockey and let me know when the draft actually starts and gives us real stuff to talk about.

Great idea Goodell.
  10. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,806 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,497ß
    You wanna hear mine again? I know you do...
  11. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +234 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    666ß
    Ahhhh ... Marketing ... beat it to death until the audience turns.

Next year and forever this will get done in April.

Yahh screwed up this year Goodell. Sombody give me a CHEESEBURGER !!