NFL Draft Profile; Max Bullough/MLB

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 7, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    NFL Draft Profile: Michigan State ILB Max Bullough
    Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 2014-04-06 18:46
    April 6, 2014, 6:00 pm
    Comments
    [​IMG]
    Cheer
    [​IMG]
    Boo

[​IMG]

CSN Staff

\Max Bullough (ILB), Michigan State
    6’3” | 249 lbs.
    2013 stats:
    76 tackles, 9.5 TFL, 1.5 sacks, FF
    Projection:
    4th/5th Round

What scouts are saying:
    “Big, tough, experienced, durable, com
    petitive Mike linebacker who was a heart-and-soul type for the stingiest defense in college football. Like a coach on the field, Bullough is a throwback talent whose instincts and technique will have to compensate for athletic limitations for him to win a starting role.” (Nolan Nawrocki, NFL.com)

"Terrific football intelligence. Keys and diagnoses quickly, understands run fits and spills willingly. Physical — good take-on/tackle strengh between the tackles. Pursues hard. Good tackler when he's able to square up ball carriers. Two-year captain with outstanding football character. Leads vocally and by example. Football is in his blood and approaches the game accordingly. ... Average athlete. Not explosive. Tight hips (exposed in space). Limited foot speed, lateral agility and range. Can be late to the perimeter. Struggles in man coverage and is stiff dropping/turning in coverage." (NFL.com)

" Linebacker Max Bullough, who was the talk of the Shrine Game after weighing-in at 260 pounds, checked in at 245 at his Pro Day, posting a 4.69 forty-time. He may have greatly improved his stock to be back in the mid-round mix." (Eric Galko, Optimum Scouting)

Fit for the Bears:
    Though injuries were the main reason the Bears' linebacking corps performed so poorly last season, there was no doubting the effect Brian Urlacher's departure had on the unit and the defense as a whole. While a return to full health should mean drastic improvement this season, if the Bears want to start grooming a future leader on the defense, Bullough could be an option. He has experience playing the leadership role with a top defense, serving as the heart and soul of the Spartans' No. 1 D this past season. Yes, his mysterious suspension during the Rose Bowl raises flags, but on the field, acting as the linchpin to the country's best defense would figure to be enough to give him a shot.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +455 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    I think theres good value there. This may be an example of a good player with great film that falls due to (overrated) combine numbers. If he ran a 4.4 he would be a first rounder due to his tape. So if we can grab him in the 4th or 5th...sign me up.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    If we're looking for a bigger run stuffing MLB in the mid or later rounds (and we should be) then a guy like Bullough or Wisconsin's Chris Borland should be on Emery's board somewhere. After C.J. Mosely the next group of MLBs; Barrow, Skov, Borland, and Bullough all have similar ratings and will probably be taken in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Unlike Borland it doesn't appear that Bullough has much to offer in pass coverage but seems to be a competent run stuffer. Without Urlacher's ability to do those deep drops and use his height to his advantage as well our coverage schemes need to change somewhat anyway and players like Bullough are likely to be just two down guys anyway.

So here's some young MLB depth who could be developed behind DWill for a year and who appear to have the football smarts, instincts and leadership potential you'd like to see in a MLB. Give our problems stopping the run last year this is actually the kind of guy we should have back there and he's probably a good fit in this defense.
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    If he can play to his 40 time and has good instincts and can fill gaps he's probably as good a MLB as we'd find that far down in any draft. All of Bostics speed and mobility were worth zip last year when they ran right at him. Maybe it's time for a guy with more of this kind of style. The other possibility for a mid round pick who has more lateral range but probably not as much straight ahead ability is Chris Borland.
  5. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +744 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    85ß
    I was not high on Borland until you talked me into it soul, so maybe you can talk me into Bullough too. However, I'm not sure even you can talk me out of my main concern, and that is, why the hell was he suspended from the Rose Bowl game. Maybe it was something minor (I doubt that very highly though), but until we know, we have to assume the worst. Until we know, the most I would want to spend on him is our late 6th rounder, and even then I'll bet I could come up with a 1/2 dozen guys I like better. Whatever the hell it was, I am still amazed that everyone was able to keep it so secret for this long. At least that tells me there was no law enforcement involved, but still, what the hell!?
  6. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +455 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    Exactly. Scouts, Fans, and even GMs get too enamored by combine and pro day BS. I don't care how fast a MLB runs 40 yards in no pads in a straight line. When the hell does that ever happen? I get it, I know everyone is faster in the pros and all. Certainly you cant run a freakin 5.5 and expect to play pro ball but I don't really give two craps about the difference between a 4.67 and a 4.49. Don't care one bit. Can the guy make the correct read? Can the guy fill an alley? Is he going to recognize and blow up a lead to set up a teammate? Is he going to tackle the damn HB when they meet on 3rd and 1? If the answer is yes to all the questions then I could care less if guys like Mosely run 2 tenths of a second faster in 40 yards with no pads.
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,642 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    908ß
    I'm kind of linking Xavious Boyd also.
  8. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +876 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    831ß
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140222/SPORTS0202/302220043

MSU's Max Bullough won't reveal cause of suspension but admits 'mistake'

http://isportsweb.com/2014/02/04/msu-football-max-bullough-suspension-result-ncaa-violation/

MSU football: Max Bullough suspension was not a result of NCAA violation (long article)

9. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +744 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    85ß
    Oh hell, you just want the chance to make me mis-spell the name "Xavious" on a regular basis!
    • Like Like x 3
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Until we know, the most I would want to spend on him is our late 6th rounder, and even then I'll bet I could come up with a 1/2 dozen guys I like better. Whatever the hell it was, I am still amazed that everyone was able to keep it so secret for this long. At least that tells me there was no law enforcement involved, but still, what the hell!?[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's been a secret at all. Everyone who was following that game knew he wasn't playing and you can bet the pros know why even if it hasn't been made public. Maybe he was screwing a cheerleader after curfew. If it's that bad a deal he won't even be on some teams boards and maybe not the Bears either. If they take him with any pick they'd have to be comfortable with him.

I don't know that you could come up with a half dozen guy you'd like better. The list of 4-3 type MLB is pretty small this year so if a team needs one these guys may go higher than usual. I like Borland more but I don't rule Bullough out. It's not so much a thumbs up or down as it is simply throwing out another mid round prospect. I'd be surprised if he dropped into the 6th.

As for his character and the suspension maybe this is enough to counter that in some scouts and GMs minds. He hasn't exactly been a career problem childe.
    Two-year captain with outstanding football character. Leads vocally and by example. Football is in his blood and approaches the game accordingly. ...
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Grizz, hopefully this would answer some of those questions. This kid isn't an Urlacher type but he's got the basic skills most would look for in a 4-3 MLB. More of an overachiever like Borland but I favor that type. They always play with a chip on their shoulders like they have something to prove.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    So like I said, he was out past curfew screwing a cheerleader, or maybe a female professor for a passing grade. It was a team policy of some sort by the sound of it. Whatever is was it's not gonna become public knowledge but the teams will ask him about it and expect and answer.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,642 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    908ß
    The real reason is I want to use his name in a scrabble game. Lots of high value letters!!!
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    If his middle name was Xavier and his last name was spelled Boyd-Zygote you'd be in Scrabble heaven wouldn't you?
  15. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,642 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    908ß
    I would ... and I've only played a few times in my life. If I had those letters though, I might do it more often..... nah......