NFL nixes Bucc's Creamsicle throwbacks, because of the helmet?

Discussion in 'Rival Team Forum' started by Jimmors, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,310 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    590ß
    Yeah...this is beyond stupid (not the uniform, which is definitely stupid, but the reasoning):

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/09/tampa-bay-buccaneers-retro-creamsicle-jerseys-nfl-rule/

New NFL rule means Buccaneers can’t wear retro ‘creamsicle’ jerseys

The helmets violate a guideline recommended by NFL’s Head, Neck and Spine Committee.

By NATE SCOTT – September 17, 2013 at 7:07pm EDT

SHARE (203)TWEET (12)EMAIL (53)
    [​IMG]
    Kim Klement – USA TODAY Sports
    The Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ plans to wear their retro “creamsicle” throwback jerseys, complete with winking “Bucco Bruce” helmet, were dashed due to a new NFL safety rule.

The issue came from the white helmets, which violated a new NFL guideline that was recently implemented due to recommendations from the NFL’s Head, Neck and Spine Committee and the Player Safety Advisory Panel.

From a statement by the team:

“While we regret that our players will not be able to don the ‘Bucco Bruce’ helmet and traditional orange, red and white uniforms, there simply was no acceptable way to meet the requirements of the new policy while staying true to the spirit of our throwback theme.”

The issue with the helmets, which were to be worn during the team’s Hispanic Heritage celebration week, is that they are not the usual helmets players wear. The new NFL guidelines suggest that once a player has a helmet he likes and that fits him well, he should continue wearing that helmet throughout the season. The introduction of a new helmet midway through the season runs the risk of putting an improperly fitted helmet on a player’s head.

[​IMG]
    Matt Stamey – USA TODAY Sports
    A good-enough reason, I guess, though couldn’t they practice in it that week and make sure it fits properly?

I guess I’m just going to miss those creamsicle jerseys, is all.
  2. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +1,407 / 4 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    So no team can ever go back to an old helmet logo? Many throwbacks have to have a different helmet.

BTW, I like the creamsickle throwbacks. Takes me back to watching the nfl as a kid.
  3. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,178 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    And here I thought I was the only guy that liked TB's throwbacks. I always liked Bucco Bruce and the old Falcons and Eagles helmets.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,750 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    724ß
    BDM, no they just cannot change the color schemes. From what I read on posts on this article, they don't paint the helmets anymore, the color is cast in the plastic they use to form the helmets. So you can change your decal, or remove it like the Bears did, as long as the helmet color stays the same.

I guess they don't cast/fit enough helmets for each player to have multiple. Something teams like the Buc's will have to think about next year if they want to do their throwbacks w/the knife wielding pirate.