nfl power rankings

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Sep 10, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

2013 Power Rankings: Week 2
    RANK TEAM / RECORD TRENDING COMMENTS
    49ers
    1-0
    Last Week: 3 Between Anquan Boldin (13 catches, 208 yards, TD) and Vernon Davis (6 catches, 98 yards, 2 TDs), it doesn't look like replacing Michael Crabtree will be an issue.
    Seahawks
    1-0
    Last Week: 1 The Seahawks' defense held Cam Newton in check. He posted a career-low 163 yards of offense. Keep that game plan for this week against Colin Kaepernick.
    Broncos
    1-0
    Last Week: 4 Seven TDs against the defending champs? The Manning Bowl could be a nice encore opportunity -- Peyton and Eli finished 1-2 in Week 1 passing yards, both reaching at least 450.
    Falcons
    0-1
    Last Week: 2 Matty Ice, what happened? Atlanta had possession in the last two minutes of each half, but failed to score. Matt Ryan was 4-of-9 with an interception in that span.
    Patriots
    1-0
    Last Week: 6 A near loss in Buffalo wasn't pretty, but Danny Amendola looked good. Amendola had nine catches for first downs, a total Wes Welker reached twice in 77 games since 2008.
    Texans
    1-0
    Last Week: 7 Monday was Matt Schaub's fourth career game with at least 300 yards and completing three-quarters of his passes. The game plan is to run despite Arian Foster's injury, but should it be?
    Packers
    0-1
    Last Week: 5 Aaron Rodgers was 1-of-6 for 3 yards and an interception when the Niners blitzed. Last year, Rodgers' plus-11 TD-INT differential against added pressure was second best in the league.
    Saints
    1-0
    Last Week: 13 Matt Ryan was sacked three times in 15 drop-backs against at least five rushers in Week 1. Ryan wasn't sacked on 31 such drop-backs last year against New Orleans.
    Bears
    1-0
    Last Week: 14 Jay Cutler was 8-of-10 for 94 yards and a touchdown against at least five rushers Sunday against the Bengals. Cutler ranked 33rd with a 23.5 Total QBR last year against added pressure.
    Bengals
    0-1
    Last Week: 9 Good start for Andy Dalton, with two touchdowns to A.J. Green and connecting on all 10 attempts to tight ends Tyler Eifert and Jermaine Gresham.
    Ravens
    0-1
    Last Week: 8 The Ravens allowed 15 passing touchdowns last year and almost half of that in this year's opener. The seventh TD pass Baltimore allowed last year was in Week 10.
    Colts
    1-0
    Last Week: 11 Andrew Luck was 11-of-12 for 99 yards against Oakland's blitz Sunday. Will Miami do the same? The Dolphins sent five-plus rushers on 26 drop-backs, most in Week 1.
    Cowboys
    1-0
    Last Week: 18 Bill Callahan kept things short for Tony Romo. Romo threw two-thirds of his passes 5 yards or fewer downfield, his largest percentage in a game since 2008.
    Eagles
    1-0
    Last Week: 25 Michael Vick was an effective caretaker of the read-option Monday, running 41 zone-read rushes. Philly's 245 zone-read rush yards were the most in a game in the past five years.
    Rams
    1-0
    --
    Last Week: 15
    Jared Cook didn't catch a pass without fumbling it until inside the second-quarter two-minute warning. However, he caught his last six targets for 94 yards and two TDs.
    Giants
    0-1
    Last Week: 12 David Wilson? Two fumbles. Da'Rel Scott? Poor route led to game-clinching interception. Three 100-yard receivers were nice for Eli Manning, but who's up next at running back?
    Dolphins
    1-0
    Last Week: 20 Miami dialed up the pressure against Brandon Weeden, and it worked. Weeden was 12-of-24 with an interception, but Andrew Luck will likely handle it better in Week 2.
    Lions
    1-0
    Last Week: 21 The Lions gained 240 yards after the catch, second highest in Matthew Stafford's career. Reggie Bush had a career-high 104 YAC, including a long screen pass TD reception.
    Redskins
    0-1
    Last Week: 10 RG III wasn't great, but what about Alfred Morris? Career-low 45 rushing yards and a first-play fumble hurt. It doesn't get any easier for Washington, which visits Lambeau next.
    Chiefs
    1-0
    Last Week: 19 Alex Smith was one of five quarterbacks with multiple touchdown passes and no interceptions. No defense had more picks in its opener than Week 2 opponent Dallas (three).
    Vikings
    0-1
    Last Week: 17 Christian Ponder was 3-of-6 for 68 yards and two interceptions against at least eight men in the box. Until he improves, stopping Adrian Peterson is all defenses need to worry about.
    Titans
    1-0
    Last Week: 27 A win in Pittsburgh was a great start for the Titans. A win at Houston would go a long way toward proving Tennessee is for real.
    Steelers
    0-1
    Last Week: 16 Pittsburgh had 15 rushes for 32 yards in the opener, and lost center Maurkice Pouncey and running back LaRod Stephens-Howling with torn ACLs. Not a good start.
    Panthers
    0-1
    Last Week: 23 Career lows in offense for Cam Newton, but the rush defense looked great. The Seahawks had 26 rush yards after contact, their second-lowest game total since the start of 2011.
    Cardinals
    0-1
    Last Week: 26 Larry Fitzgerald caught a pair of TD passes on end-zone throws in his debut with Carson Palmer. Cardinals QBs were 0-for-9 targeting Fitzgerald in the end zone last year.
    Chargers
    0-1
    Last Week: 24 Philip Rivers was 1-of-7 with a pick-six in the fourth quarter Monday night. Including last year, Rivers' 7.7 fourth-quarter QBR is less than half of any other QB.
    Jets
    1-0
    Last Week: 32 Geno Smith was off target on four of 38 pass attempts (11 percent) in his debut. Mark Sanchez missed on 22 percent of his throws last year, fourth highest among qualified QBs.
    Buccaneers
    0-1
    Last Week: 22 Avoidable mistakes hurt. Lavonte David's penalty was the biggest, but the Bucs gave the Jets five first downs via penalties, tied for second most by a Tampa defense since 2001.
    Bills
    0-1
    Last Week: 30 Buffalo limited EJ Manuel's movement well in his return from knee surgery. Manuel was 18-for-25 for 150 yards and a pair of touchdowns out of the shotgun.
    Browns
    0-1
    Last Week: 28 Brandon Weeden was 11-of-28 with two interceptions on throws 5 yards or fewer downfield. Blaine Gabbert was the only other QB with a completion percentage under 50 percent on short throws.
    Raiders
    0-1
    --
    Last Week: 31
    Only LeSean McCoy had more rushing yards than Terrelle Pryor (112) in Week 1, but the loser of Jaguars-Raiders still looks like an early favorite in the Jadeveon Clowney sweepstakes.
    Jaguars
    0-1
    Last Week: 29 The Jaguars' offense didn't cross midfield until the fourth quarter. The Raiders present a chance to get back on track, but Seattle looms in Week 3.
  2. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/...roncos-49ers-look-super-but-its-only-one-week

RANK TEAM

MOVE (LW)
    1 [​IMG] If anybody doubted Peyton Manning before the opener, they certainly don't anymore. The Broncos defense also did some surprisingly good things. [​IMG](1)
    2 [​IMG] If Colin Kaepernick plays like he did last week, this will be a Super team. We'll know more this week after they play Seattle. [​IMG](2)
    3 [​IMG] It wasn't pretty, but winning an opener on the road on the opposite coast is impressive. Now they have the 49ers. [​IMG]3(6)
    4 [​IMG] It was pretty ugly at times in Buffalo, but they found a way. They have to get more production from that passing game. [​IMG](4)
    5 [​IMG] They deserve a ton of credit for battling back from 28-7 to beat the Chargers. That's telling about this team. That's what big-time teams do. [​IMG]4(9)
    6 [​IMG] The Saints defense looks improved, which is the biggest thing to take from the opener. Drew Brees looked like his old self with Sean Payton back. [​IMG]5(11)
    7 [​IMG] The offense moved the ball, but seemed to bog down in spots. The defense gave up way too many yards through the air. [​IMG]4(3)
    8 [​IMG] The defense had a rough go of it against the pass vs. the 49ers. That has to change. Aaron Rodgers looked as if he's ready for big things again. [​IMG]3(5)
    9 [​IMG] I love the way they responded when they fell behind. The turnovers keep coming for the aggressive defense. [​IMG]6(15)
    10 [​IMG] What's it mean when they forced six turnovers and still were in a game late against the Giants? There is good and bad in that message. [​IMG]4(14)
    11 [​IMG] The Colts struggled again to protect Andrew Luck. That has to change. He is the franchise. [​IMG]2(13)
    12 [​IMG] They will look back at the Chicago loss and feel they gave one away. The turnovers were killers. This week's game against the Steelers is a big one. [​IMG]5(7)
    13 [​IMG] The Ravens have to keep telling themselves that debacle was just one game. They had 10 days to regroup for Cleveland. [​IMG]5(8)
    14 [​IMG] They battled back from 14 down to beat the Cardinals, which is impressive. The passing game looked much improved over a year ago. [​IMG]3(17)
    15 [​IMG] Chip Kelly sure has brought excitement to the Eagles offense. It is fast, fun and explosive. Can they sustain it? [​IMG]10(25)
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    16 [​IMG] Gregg Williams has really added some life to that defense. The Titans stuffed the Steelers offense. Can they keep it up? [​IMG]6(22)
    17 [​IMG] We knew the defense would be good, but it was really impressive against the Browns. Ryan Tannehill did some good things as well. [​IMG]6(23)
    18 [​IMG] They beat up on a bad Jacksonville team, but it was the way they did it that impressed. That defense was suffocating. [​IMG]6(24)
    19 [​IMG] Turning it over six times is a tough way to try and win a game. But they never packed it in and quit, which speaks volumes about this team. [​IMG]9(10)
    20 [​IMG] They will be dynamic on offense against this season. The passing game will be explosive and Reggie Bush adds a nice dimension -- if he's healthy. [​IMG]8(28)
    21 [​IMG] That was a puke-on-your-shoes performance by the Steelers offense against the Titans. The loss of Maurkice Pouncey for the season is huge. [​IMG]9(12)
    22 [​IMG] That was an awful performance Monday night. Robert Griffin III looked far from being the player we saw in 2012. The defense had issues too, and now must face Aaron Rodgers. [​IMG]6(16)
    23 [​IMG] It's all about Christian Ponder, and he wasn't very good against the Lions. The defense had a rough go of it too. [​IMG]5(18)
    24 [​IMG] So much for the new-look offense helping to get Cam Newton going. They struggled offensively against the Seahawks. [​IMG]5(19)
    25 [​IMG] The good news that came from that loss to the Rams was that Carson Palmer looked impressive. Their passing game will be tough. [​IMG]5(20)
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    26 [​IMG] It's Geno Smith's job now, and it should be. He did some good things in his first game. The defense had a good day too. [​IMG]4(30)
    27 [​IMG] That was a stinging loss against the Jets. That late penalty was a killer, but how do they let the Jets stay around to do that? [​IMG]6(21)
    28 [​IMG] That was a big-time choke on Monday night. How do you blow a 28-7 lead late in the third? [​IMG]1(27)
    29 [​IMG] They have to be excited to see some of the things that EJ Manuel did. The defense did a solid job too. [​IMG](29)
    30 [​IMG] They might have found a quarterback in Terrelle Pryor. He did some impressive things against the Colts. [​IMG]2(32)
    31 [​IMG] That was a winnable game against Miami, but they can't afford to have Brandon Weeden throw three picks. They aren't good enough. [​IMG]5(26)
    32 [​IMG] That was a disgusting performance against the Chiefs. I don't care how young they are as a team. [​IMG]1(31
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    NFL Power Rankings: Week 2 - Top 10 Follow @walterfootball for updates.
    1. Seattle Seahawks (1-0) - Previously: #1 - The Seahawks triumphed in an ugly game at Carolina. Some may knock them down for that, but if you think about it, they beat the spread by just as many points (1.5) as the 49ers in Week 1. I thought it was pretty impressive how they overcame a dreaded 10 a.m. local start and a fierce Carolina defense to start the season 1-0.

2. San Francisco 49ers (1-0) - Previously: #2 - Is there a term for people who are always one step ahead of one of their main rivals? Think Walter White over Hank in Breaking Bad, Vic Mackey over the entire police department in the Shield and Jack Bauer over all terrorists in 24. That's what it's like with Jim Harbaugh and Mike McCarthy. I can only imagine the discussions he had with his coaching staff prior to the game...

Harbaugh: LOL can you still believe the Packers weren't prepared for the read-option in the playoffs? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Assistant Coach: Hey coach, did you hear that the Packers spent all summer watching the read-option at Texas A&M?

Harbaugh: LOL such idiots. I guess we'll just have Colin throw the ball to Anquan Boldin instead of run the read-option LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

3. Denver Broncos (1-0) - Previously: #4 - Seven touchdowns is just ridiculous. I guess that's what happens when you pair a mastermind quarterback like Peyton Manning with so many talented weapons. Manning is currently on pace for 7,392 yards and 112 touchdowns. My condolences to anyone who has to play against him in fantasy.

I'm still listing the Broncos behind the Seahawks and 49ers because I don't like Denver's defense as much. I think the Broncos' stop unit looked a little too good in the opener once Michael Oher was knocked out of the game. Of course they dominated with an immobile, fifth-round rookie right tackle trying to block Shaun Phillips.

4. New Orleans Saints (1-0) - Previously: #5 - Captain Lou Albano's new defense in New Orleans was relatively outstanding in its debut against the Falcons. If the Saints can limit good offenses to around 17 points, they're not going to lose many games. I just wish the Saints would completely cut Mark Ingram out of the game plan. He sucks. Time to move on from that sunk cost.

5. Green Bay Packers (0-1) - Previously: #6
      - Aaron Rodgers was awesome against the 49ers. It's just a shame that his great performance was ruined because of Jermichael Finley's drop-interception and a terrible ruling by the officials to give San Francisco a free touchdown.

It's truly remarkable that Rodgers played this way considering the off-the-field issues he had to deal with this summer. I mean, Rodgers was implicated in a homicide after all. To kill some guy and then throw for 333 yards and three touchdowns against one of the toughest defenses in the NFL? Mad props to Rodgers!

By the way, is it just me, or does Jeremy Schaap sound like the creepiest dude of all time? My skin crawls every time I hear his voice.

New
      England Patriots (1-0) - Previously: #3
      - New England didn't look sharp at all in its debut. I know Tom Brady has rookie receivers to work with, but how does he not dominate a Buffalo secondary missing both Jairus Byrd and Stephon Gilmore?

Brady is holding this team together though. The Patriots better hope he stays healthy, or else this will happen (thanks to Descendency for posting this):

6. Atlanta Falcons (0-1) - Previously: #8 - Should Atlanta fans be encouraged that its defense, comprised of many new players, limited the Saints to just 23 points? Or should they be discouraged that the offense put up just 17, thanks to an offensive line that had trouble blocking the Saints of all teams? I'm not really sure about that, but the Falcons should at least be worried that New Orleans is back at full strength.

7. Houston Texans (1-0) - Previously: #11 - Go to my NFL Game Recaps page for analysis of the Texans-Chargers game.

8. Washington Redskins (0-1) - Previously: #7 - The Redskins looked awful early on against the Eagles, but perhaps this was to be expected because Robert Griffin missed the entire preseason. I feel like what we saw out of them in the fourth quarter is the "real" Washington. I'll give them a mulligan considering the circumstances.

Go to my NFL Game Recaps page for analysis of the Redskins-Eagles game.

9. Chicago Bears (1-0) - Previously: #14 - This No. 10 spot was a tough decision. It came down to the Bears, Bengals and Ravens. Chicago was the only team that won out of the three, but then again, it was the only squad that played at home this past weekend. Still though, Jay Cutler will be more efficient this year because he has more weapons to work with.

Speaking of Cutler, I'm sure Bear fans who bought Rotoworld's fantasy magazine nearly suffered a heart attack when they saw the following (Body Burner sent this to me):
  6. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +282 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß
    We are in the top ten (9s all around)? Crap, you know what happens when the media starts togive us some respect :)
  7. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,722 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    541ß
    I miss OneManSwarm
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Nice ,.... up 5
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    Here's a few more:
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings

RK Team RECORD CHANGE HIGH/LOW COMMENTS
    49ers 1-0 - 1/1
    Kaepernick and the 49ers rushed for 323 yards against the Packers in their last matchup and then threw for 412 on Sunday. Kaepernick is much more than just a read-option quarterback and If I'm starting a team, I'm not sure he isn't the first person on it.
    Broncos 1-0 - 2/2

Welker, Thomas and Thomas each had two touchdown receptions and Andre Caldwell added one for good measure. That's seven touchdowns in one game and Erick Decker, last year's touchdown leader, is not even in the books yet!
    Seahawks 1-0 - 3/3

It took a late red zone fumble to secure the win in Carolina on Sunday, but traveling from West to East is always difficult. Especially playing the early afternoon game.
    Texans 1-0 4 4/8

The Texans showed great resiliency being down by three touchdowns on the road, but they aren't going to be able to climb out of those deficits against good teams. Kudos to them for still winning the game that was also their wake-up call.
    Patriots 1-0 1 5/6

It was ugly for the most part, but they snuck out with a win and that's what most important. Stevan Ridley's fumbling problem revealed one of the few bright spots for this offense in Shane Vereen, but now the latter will miss about a month with a wrist injury. Overcoming all this adversity early will make them better late in the season.
    Packers 0-1 1 6/7

Well, they figured out how to stop the read option, but they gave up 412 passing yards to do it. Even with a loss, they jump up a spot because they played a tight game against the best team in the NFL.
    Bears 1-0 4 7/11

The Bears may be without Lovie Smith and Brian Urlacher but not much has changed. Led by Peanut Tillman, the Bears forced three turnovers and that was too much to overcome for what many consider to be the best team in the AFC in the Bengals.
    Falcons 0-1 4 4/8

The young corners stepped up in the first quarter, but Drew Brees proved to be too much as the game went on. Still, had Steven Jackson held onto that goal-line reception the Falcons would still be in the top five and sitting at 1-0.
    Ravens 0-1 4 5/9

All in all, this defense is actually more talented than last year's unit, but they still need to gel and find a leader. It was a bad draw to have to play Peyton Manning in Denver to kick off the 2013 season.
    Bengals 0-1 1 9/10

What a selfish and boneheaded penalty by Rey Maualuga.
    Colts 1-0 1 11/12

Andrew Luck is a special football player, very special. That game-winning touchdown run reminds us just how good an athlete he is, too. But this defense is going to face much more talented quarterbacks than Terrelle Pryor this season. They need to tighten up.
    Saints 1-0 4 12/16

More than any other professional league, coaching matters in the NFL and Sean Payton is proof of it. Rob Ryan is going to get a lot of credit for an improved defense, but Payton was the missing ingredient. Team:
    Cowboys 1-0 4 13/17

Over the course of his career, you may question Tony Romo's decision-making, but you can never question his toughness. What a gutsy performance from Romo after taking a brutal shot to the ribs just before the half. Team:
    Lions 1-0 4 14/18

I want to believe in the Lions and they are probably worthy of moving higher up in this list, but I want to see it in back-to-back weeks first. Reggie Bush was impressive in his Lions debut, but he needs to prove he can do it on a consistent basis and stay healthy.
    Rams 1-0 1 14/15

The Rams may have the fastest defense in the entire NFL and the speed-rushing tandem of Chris Long and Robert Quinn are going to cause fits for offensive lines all season.
    Eagles 1-0 7 16/23

The Patriots ran a league-high 89 offensive plays on Sunday and the Eagles were on pace to destroy that after posting 53 in the first half alone, but they had just 24 in the second half for a total of 77 on the game. For comparison purposes, the Redskins ran 70 plays.
    Chiefs 1-0 2 17/19

Yes, the Chiefs looked impressive in Andy Reid's debut, but let's not forget it was against the Jaguars. They have a tougher game this week against Dallas that will be a more telling litmus test for this team.
    Redskins 0-1 5 13/18

RG3 looked uncomfortable in the pocket and had no rhythm to his throwing motion in the first half. He was able to shake off the rust as the game went on, but it was just too late for the Redskins.
    Vikings 0-1 9 10/19

Adrian Peterson started the game with a bang as his first carry was a 78-yard touchdown, but he was bottled up for just 15 yards on his remaining 17 carries. Eventually, the Vikings are going to need Christian Ponder to win them a game, something he isn't capable of doing right now.
    Giants 0-1 5 15/20

Welcome to Tom Coughlin's doghouse, David Wilson.
    Titans 1-0 1 21/22

I'm not sure if the Steelers are any good, but regardless, this was an impressive defensive showing for the Titans. They were the worst scoring defense in the league last year, even worse than the New Orleans Saints -- who gave up more yards than any other defense in the history of the NFL.
    Dolphins 1-0 3 22/25

They beat the Browns … let's not get carried away.
    Chargers 0-1 3 23/26

I love Philip Rivers' passion for the game, but I think his emotions are too up and down during the course of the game and leads to his inconsistent play.
    Bills 0-1 3 24/27

EJ Manuel reminds me a lot of Steve McNair and Sunday was just a glimpse into the success he can have in this league. Not too many people can say they had Tom Brady on the ropes in their first career start.
    Cardinals 0-1 4 25/29

It was fun to watch Larry Fitzgerald get to play with a competent quarterback again but that isn't always going to translate into wins.
    Steelers 0-1 6 20/26

Wow. The Steelers looked awful and losing two key starters and one reserve player to season-ending injuries is a tough pill to swallow for a team that doesn't have much to look forward to right now.
    Panthers 0-1 1 27/28

The Panthers invested the 14th and the 44th overall picks of the 2013 NFL Draft on interior defensive linemen and it showed on Sunday. The Panthers' defense may be one of the most improved units in all of football this season but their offense simply didn't show up on Sunday.
    Buccaneers 0-1 7 21/28

It will be interesting to see how long this coaching staff sticks with Josh Freeman. I'm not sure they have a better option, but you couldn't blame them for looking at this point.
    Browns 0-1 5 24/29

Tight end Jordan Cameron is going to be the breakout player of the NFL this season, but what in the heck happened to Trent Richardson? They need him to produce.
    Jets 1-0 - 30/30

I know the Jets actually beat the Bucs on Sunday, but I just can't convince myself that the Jets are the better team. They stay in the bottom three for now.
    Raiders 0-1 1 31/32

Terrelle Pryor is an impressive athlete, but he is not an NFL-caliber quarterback. He may make some plays, but he is going to cost them more games than he wins for them.
    Jaguars 0-1 1 31/32

The Jaguars had 49 yards of total offense in the first half and finished with just 178. What's worse? They crossed their own 36-yard line just once in the entire game!
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    http://www.sbnation.com/2013/9/10/4...-week-2-49ers-broncos-saints-packers-patriots
    1. San Francisco 49ers
    LW: 1
    Jim Harbaugh's team struggled to run the ball against the Packers. The 49ers missed tackles, took penalties and mishandled the clock. But they still managed to win. Colin Kaepernick's outing with a career-high 412 passing yards and three touchdowns was the most impressive part of the show.
    2. Denver Broncos
    LW: 3
    Seven touchdowns in one game. It's the least talked about thing from Week 1, but we're getting used to Peyton Manning writing his name in the record book, with ink. He might not be done with gaudy stats thanks to a little help from the schedule. The Broncos only face four more playoff teams from last season.
    3. Seattle Seahawks
    LW: 2
    The final score wasn't what I expected, but Seattle beat an improved Panthers defense in a 1 p.m. Eastern time slot. That's not easy for a West Coast team. Russell Wilson played a sharp game, with 320 passing yards and one touchdown. Better yet, Wilson's 33 attempts topped his mark in all but three game last season ... and he had a 75 percent completion rate to boot.
    4. New England Patriots
    LW: 6
    Rust kept a road game against the Bills much closer than it would have been otherwise. By the end of the month, the Patriots should be the efficient, humorless football machine we've come to expect. A new crop of receivers doesn't seem to be a problem either.
    5. Houston Texans
    LW: 7
    Last season, a 2-3 Broncos team used a second-half comeback to beat the Chargers on Monday night in Week 6. Denver didn't lose again for the rest of the season. Will a Monday night comeback win over the Chargers be a similar launching pad for the Texans?
    6. Green Bay Packers
    LW: 4
    The good news: The defense looked much better against the 49ers. The bad news: They still lost.
    7. Atlanta Falcons
    LW: 5
    The Falcons-Saints rivalry is one of my favorites in the NFL right now, one that actually features hard-fought football games. Even against last season's historically inept Saints defense, these two teams split the series. That makes it hard to decide if the Saints defense is really as good as it was last week or if the Falcons offensive line was really as bad as it looked.
    8. New Orleans Saints
    LW: 10
    Even if New Orleans' defense isn't this good, Drew Brees seems to be in his usual form.
    9. Chicago Bears
    LW: 15
    Jay Cutler thinks Marc Trestman's offense is "ballsy." A fair assessment, but after Lovie Smith's tenure, just playing offense with a purpose probably feels liberating. Even more incredible: Cutler didn't get sacked in this game. That hasn't happened since Week 13 last season.
    10. Baltimore Ravens
    LW: 8
    We spent a lot of time during the preseason praising Ozzie Newsome for rebuilding his team's defense with a package of shrewd draft picks and free agent moves. There were glimpses of just how good that group can be, especially the defensive front. It still might take another week or two for the whole thing to gel to the point where it's not allowing 49 points and seven touchdown passes. As for the offense, yeah, I just don't know.
    11. Cincinnati Bengals
    LW: 9
    Two interceptions, even one that bounced of A.J. Green's hands, won't do anything to calm the debate about Andy Dalton's quarterbacking abilities. Fortunately, quarterback debates are rational affairs, a place free of easy labels.
    12. Indianapolis Colts
    LW: 13
    Another year, another fourth-quarter comeback from Andrew Luck. He'll need to pull a few more of those out of his hat if the defense keeps playing like this.
    13. Dallas Cowboys
    LW: 16
    The Cowboys got their first win in five tries against the Giants inside the walls of Jerry World. And for once it was the other team that kept turning the ball over.
    14. Detroit Lions
    LW: 17
    Early returns on Reggie Bush are positive. Imagine what we'd be saying if he hadn't had two touchdowns called back. More impressive was how the Lions shut down Adrian Peterson after his 78-yard touchdown run. The combination of Nick Fairley and Ndamukong Suh delivered on their preseason hype too. I wonder if the defense is good enough to hold on through an inevitable suspension for Suh this season?
    15. Washington Redskins
    LW: 11
    Operation Patience went from just another RGIII-branded slogan to Washington's official motto on Monday night. The reigning Rookie of the Year struggled, and, naturally, speculation about the health of his knee is set to run wild. Also, preseason play might in fact serve some purpose.
    16. Miami Dolphins
    LW: 23
    Let's not get too carried away. It was only the Browns. Nevertheless, I liked what I saw from Ryan Tannehill, especially how he handled a tough Cleveland pass rush. That's important considering Jonathan Martin was helpless against oncoming defenders.
    17. Philadelphia Eagles
    LW: 22
    I wanted to put the Eagles higher than this. Baby steps. The NFL world saw something different on Monday night. Even if our college football friends are used to offensive innovation, it will take time for The Shield and all those sworn to protect it to come to terms with it. (Someone please check on Pete Prisco). The question I have is whether or not Michael Vick can stay healthy in this system for a full season.
    18. St. Louis Rams
    LW: 19
    Good thing someone on the St. Louis sideline decided covering Larry Fitzgerald a cushy zone was a bad idea. Carson Palmer and Fitzgerald took advantage of the Rams' celebrated defense for 80 yards and a touchdown, and it almost cost St. Louis its NFC Cinderella status.
    19. Kansas City Chiefs
    LW: 20
    A nice start to the Andy Reid era, but beating Blaine Gabbert and the Jaguars only counts for so much. Let's see what the Chiefs can do with the Cowboys coming to town this week and a trip to Philadelphia the week after that.
    20. Carolina Panthers
    LW: 18
    The defense is worlds better than it was last year, thanks largely to an upgraded defensive line and another season of Luke Kuechly backing them up. Unfortunately, the offense doesn't look any less confused than it did last year.
    21. New York Giants
    LW: 12
    One of the biggest losers of the week, falling almost 10 spots. I won't be surprised to see Tom Coughlin get his team straightened out. Then again, I won't be surprised if they keep muddling through the season.
    22. Tennessee Titans
    LW: 28
    Jake Locker still doesn't inspire confidence. However, the plan to rebuild the offensive line and center the offense around the running game is going exactly as planned. That's good news for the Titans, not to mention Mike Munchak.
    23. Pittsburgh Steelers
    LW: 14
    If it seems like the Steelers are always dealing with offensive line injuries, it's because they are. Instead of the tackles, this time it's center Maurkice Pouncey.
    24. Minnesota Vikings
    LW: 21
    The Lions did exactly what they were supposed to do, keeping Adrian Peterson in check and making Christian Ponder do all the work. It turned out exactly how everyone predicted it would.
    25. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    LW: 24
    Not exactly how you want to lose a game ... to the Jets. Josh Freeman didn't help his case with a 48 percent completion rate, but neither did Greg Schiano whose team almost had this one in the bag.
    26. Arizona Cardinals
    LW: 27
    The improvement Carson Palmer brings to this team is going to be short-lived as long as Levi Brown is starting on the quarterback's left side.
    27. New York Jets
    LW: 30
    It's hard to find much to complain about from Geno Smith's debut. And stop with the Wildcat plays, Jets. It's 2013.
    28. San Diego Chargers
    LW: 26
    Another second half collapse on Monday Night Football is no way to forget about Norv Turner and A.J. Smith.
    29. Buffalo Bills
    LW: 29
    Taking the Patriots down to the wire is a nice start for the Bills.
    30. Cleveland Browns
    LW: 25
    Offseason predictions in danger of collapsing: 1) Brandon Weeden's breakout, 2) Norv Turner as offensive savior, and 3) a defense that will make the Browns a contender in the AFC North. At least the defense does look sharp.
    31. Oakland Raiders
    LW: 32
    I still don't think Oakland's going to win very many games this season. Terrelle Pryor at least looks like he'll be fun to watch and a needed rallying point for fans.
    32. Jacksonville Jaguars
    LW: 31
    We have a new basement team this week, and this is exactly where they belong. And don't be fooled by the misperception that Chad Henne is a better temporary solution than Gabbert. He is not. But at least he's better than Tebow. Things will get better in Jacksonville ... eventually.
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    And to finish it off, a little player stock watch, from ESPN:

Stock Watch: Guards handle Atkins
    September, 10, 2013
    Sep 10
    12:22
    PM ET
    By Jeff Dickerson | ESPNChicago.com
    [​IMG]David Banks/Getty ImagesKyle Long and Matt Slauson helped neutralize Bengals defensive tackle Geno Atkins on Sunday.
    RISING

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] 1. Jay Cutler, QB: Cutler had complete control over the Chicago Bears' offense in the Week 1 victory en route to posting a 93.2 quarterback rating. He connected with Brandon Marshall eight times for 104 yards and one touchdown, but spread around the wealth, targeting Alshon Jeffery, Martellus Bennett, Matt Forte and Earl Bennett in the passing game. Cutler also showcased his ability to keep plays alive with his feet when the pocket collapsed. Taking a cue from coach Marc Trestman, Cutler kept his composure the entire game and led the team back from an 11-point second-half deficit, displaying the leadership and temperament every playoff-caliber team needs from its starting quarterback.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] 2. Stephen Paea, DT: The third-year nose tackle quietly had the best game of any Bears defensive linemen with six tackles. While the Bears lacked a consistent pass rush for the majority of the game, Paea disrupted several plays in the backfield, and helped the defense limit the Bengals to 63 total yards rushing on 21 attempts. Paea said at the beginning of training camp that he felt he was in the best shape of his life, and he was apparently telling the truth. The Bears will need another monster effort from Paea in the trenches to slow down Adrian Peterson on Sunday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] 3. Kyle Long/Matt Slauson, G: Both of the Bears' starting guards deserve praise after handling Bengals Pro Bowl defensive tackle Geno Atkins. Atkins wasn't credited with a single tackle and just one quarterback hurry, a far cry from the monster numbers he put up in 2012 when he led all NFL interior defensive linemen with 12.5 sacks. Although the guards did receive help at times from the Bears' offensive tackles, Slauson and Long were forced to win numerous one-on-one battles with Atkins, according to Trestman. Long's performance is especially impressive since he was making his first career NFL start.

FALLING

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] 1. Julius Peppers, DE: This is likely a blip on the radar, but it's hard to overlook Peppers failing to record a single tackle or quarterback hit despite facing the Bengals' second-string left tackle Anthony Collins. Peppers did battle a minor hamstring injury in camp, but his name did not appear on the injury report, so it's hard to blame health as the reason for his lack of production. Knowing the kind of competitor Peppers is, he'll probably come out with a vengeance against Minnesota. But in Week 1, he was missing in action.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] 2. Henry Melton, DT: Melton also disappeared up front, assisting on just one tackle despite playing the second-highest amount of snaps (46) on the Bears' defensive line behind Peppers (51). Of course, Melton missed almost the entire preseason due to a concussion, but the Bears placed the franchise tag on the Pro Bowler for a reason. Melton has shown flashes of brilliance throughout his career, but he has never been able to sustain success on a weekly basis. Just like with Peppers, the Bears need a bounce-back effort from Melton in Week 2.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] 3. Major Wright, S: Wright's statistics were fine on Sunday (seven tackles), but he committed a costly mental error that led to a Bengals touchdown. With the Bears' in zone coverage, Wright bit on an Andy Dalton pump fake and was late helping out over the top on A.J. Green's 45-yard touchdown reception in the second quarter. Green ran past cornerback Tim Jennings on the play, but Trestman confirmed on Monday that Jennings expected the help to come from the safety. It never did. Wright has been responsible for a host of busted coverages throughout his career, although he is coming off his best NFL season in 2012 when he snagged four interceptions.

and one little factoid, from Sat-Tues, Chicago Teams faced 3 Cincy teams, and beat them. Ilini beat the Cincy, Bears beat the Bengals, and the Cubs beat the Reds on Mon and Tues. Take that Ohio!
  12. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    It is BS and inaccurate. The Bengals lost and are only one spot behind us
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    wins and losses don't matter as much as quality wins vs losses to quality opponents and how well the team played. The teams were well matched. The pack and Falcons both lost and are ahead of the Bears in the rankings, and should be for this week b/c they both lost to way better teams then the Bears.
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,139 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    452ß
    The Bengals are a really solid team that will win their division and probably go deeper in the playoffs than the past few years. I was impressed with their team, even though we beat them. Ric is correct about the "quality" factor of wins-losses being a consideration.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I thought the Bears played well in the opener, was exciting to watch. However, I thought the Bengals out played us in that game. I do not think it is BS that they were ranked only one slot behind us.
    • Like Like x 1