NFL Prospect Michael Sam Says He Is Gay

Discussion in 'Rival Team Forum' started by The Benjamin, Feb 9, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,048 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,291ß
    Former Missouri defensive lineman Michael Sam is projected to be taken in this year's NFL Draft. Even if he goes undrafted and a team signs him, Sam could be the first publicly gay active player in the NFL.

Sam came out to a few media outlets today, including York Times, ESPN, and Sports Illustrated, so this was a planned announcement. The NFL prospect wants to make sure everyone's aware before the draft in May. CBS Sports currently ranks him as the ninth-best defensive end prospect, so he has a good chance of being drafted.

Sam came out to his Missouri teammates during a preseason team-building exercise at practice in August. Each player was asked, in addition to general information, to name one thing not everyone would know about him. Sam chose that opportunity to tell his team that he was gay. According to Sam, some of his teammates already knew and were just waiting for him to say it.

After coming out to the team, Sam felt more secure with himself. From the Times article:

"Once I became official to my teammates, I knew who I was," Mr. Sam said. "I knew that I was gay. And I knew that I was Michael Sam, who's a Mizzou football player who happens to be gay. I was so proud of myself and I just didn't care who knew. If someone on the street would have asked me, 'Hey, Mike, I heard you were gay; is that true?' I would have said yes."

No one asked.

"I guess they don't want to ask a 6-3, 260-pound defensive lineman if he was gay or not," Mr. Sam said. And he laughed.
  2. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    Respect, hopefully this will lead to more players being open about their sexual orientation.
  3. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +706 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    321ß
    Would Michael Sam be a better fit in the Mike or the Sam position????
  4. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,202 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    574ß
    The problem is that this guy is a mid round at best prospect. He's too small for DE in the NFL, and has never played at OLB. Because of size/position alone he would have been no lock to make a roster, now everyone will attach "greater meaning" to whatever happens.

Ideally the first gay player would have been someone solidly predicted for the first round.
  5. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +915 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    918ß
    Of course he does, pretty good strategy if you ask me. Now teams will try to select this dude to make sure they are an open minded franchise, even if he's a reach. And if he goes undrafted he can blame the teams for being "anti-gay". So he put himself in a really good position.

Don't get me wrong, I really don't care about a player's sexual orientation. I my want my Bears to be strong, talented and passionate about the game. I just don't like athletes using that kind of "political leverage" to rise their draft stocks.

He could have announced it after getting drafted, just my opinion.

And I wouldn't mind the Bears drafting that guy.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,048 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,291ß
    Or he goes undrafted with the built in excuse that he does not fit the scheme
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
  8. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,588 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    Good value? He is a 3-4 OLB. Even if we converted to 3-4, we already have OLB options (Shea, Bostic, Greene, Briggs), so drafting him would clutter up a position when we have much more pressing needs on the DL and Secondary.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bear_40

Bear_40 Veteran

Ratings:
    +36 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    Don't care what his status is - its his life choice. Just play ball. Will it impact his draft status? I hope not, but it's very possible. If he goes undrafted, that's a problem.
  10. kevperro

kevperro Veteran

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    He is gay... I could care less. He isn't an attractive choice for improving the team... that I care about.
  11. vmx12

vmx12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I honestly think old lady McCaskey would shit herself if Emery moved on this guy.
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,311 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    nah she's from another time when gay meant happy. She'd prolly be like, what's all this fuss about a kid saying he's gay; isn't everyone?
  13. Passepartout

Passepartout Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    Yeah as Mrs McCaskey would be up in arms over this with Michael Sam! But she is indeed old school!
  14. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +664 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    448ß
    I think he should play for the packers.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1