NFL pulls plug on customized face masks

Discussion in 'Rival Team Forum' started by short faced bear, Aug 10, 2013.

1. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,228 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    146ß
    By Brian McIntyre | Shutdown Corner – Fri, Aug 9, 2013 7:59 PM EDT

The National Football League is pulling the plug on elaborate, customized face masks that several prominent NFL defensive players had planned to wear this season.

In an email to the Associated Press, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said that the customized mask that Indianapolis Colts linebacker Robert Mathis had been wearing during training camp would not be approved for use during games.

The only exception the league makes for the use of customized face masks is for medical reasons. Mathis confirmed the ruling on his Twitter page

ROBERT MATHIS The1st ✔
    @RobertMathis98

its official.... the league says i cant wear my facemask. I will return to my run of the mill grill.
    3:51 PM - 9 Aug 2013

In addition to Mathis, Arizona Cardinals defensive tackle Darnell Dockett had planned to wear a customized mask, which he unveiled at his team's FanFest in June. Dockett's mask had six horizontal bars and one vertical in the middle that divides a whopping 18 diagonal bars, nine on each side of the vertical bar. The model, which was created by Bad-Ass Masks, was called the "Freight Train".

New York Giants defensive end Justin Tuck began wearing a mask with 12 diagonal bars and five horizontal bars last summer. Tuck began wearing that mask to prevent offensive linemen from grabbing his mask and aggravating a neck strain. With Tuck dealing with a back issue during training camp, so perhaps he'll be successful in his attempt to wear it again this season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...lls-plug-customized-face-masks-235936743.html
  2. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,228 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    146ß
    :eek:Whatevs Goodell. If things were any more vanilla he'd have a ice cream cone stuck up his arse.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,275 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,437ß
    oh no's whatever will the players do if they cannot grandstand?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,588 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    I think the proper term is "Peacocking"
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,275 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,437ß
    eh either way, it's all bs and hardly anything anyone should be worried about, it's not even news worthy.
    • Like Like x 1