NFL Quarterback Rumors: Cutler, Schaub, Bradford, Vick & Weeden On 2014 QB Carousel

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 12, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,533 / 0 / -0
    FWIW.

2. little bear

little bear

Ratings:
    +358 / 0 / -0
    We'll see how Cutler plays the rest of the season. Then Emery will have enough time to think about what's best for the team's future.

Vick has been inconsistent for years - gone
    Bradford is more and more looking like a first round bust - he'll get another chance though
    Weeden and Campbell are not the answer - Browns will go after a rookie QB next April
    Fans in Houston are not happy with Schaub - I could see them picking up a young QB for their young offense (Foster, Hopkins etc.)
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 5 / -4
    Score was talking about this today, and they were saying based on how trestman and emery talk about cutler he will probably be back.

now take that w/a few grains of salt
    1st this is idle speculation from talking heads trying to disect the HC and GM's talking points.
    2nd Emery has said a lot of things that hold no water: 1) character matters, apparnetly not b/c Marshal is here, and Ratliff now also. 2) Carimi will be welcomed back w/open arms.
    3rd Will cutler want to come back at a deal they offer him when other teams might be willing to pay much more. 670 was talking like 3-4 year deal under market value b/c of the inj history, but will Jax, Hou, AZ, Minny be willing to pay him 5-6yrs 100mil as market value has gone lately?
  4. mdbearz

mdbearz

Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    I have a feeling that someone will over pay for Jay if they do not use the franchise tag on him.

We will see come the end of the year, but I have a feeling that the FT is what will happen to Jay and if he has a big year we will have to overpay for him to stay or let him walk.

Either way I hope we draft a QB THIS year to develop.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. little bear

little bear

Ratings:
    +358 / 0 / -0
    To be honest I don't think any of those teams will offer him that kind of contract, that means Jay's more likely to come back for less money than signing with another team.

Min, Cle and Jax are so desperate, they'll probably do anything to get a top 10 QB. They won't waste money to sign a veteran quarterback with injury problems.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,533 / 0 / -0
    Does this mean that Emery will "Welcome Jay back with open arms" :D
    The 'ol Gabe Carimi welcome...(shudder).

[​IMG]
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 5 / -4

Arz just traded for Carson Palmer this year, and you don't think a team would pay top dollar for a guy that was playing near top 10 level w/the Bears? Trust me a team, maybe not 100mil, will over pay for Cutler.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +474 / 2 / -3
    If you were GM, what's the most you'd be willing to pay Cutler?
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 5 / -4
    If I'm a GM who has a qb the likes of Blaine Gabbart or Carson Palmer or Weedon and I feel that Cutler is on the same level as Romo or Rivers(which I personally think he is) I would pay him whatever I had to; especially b/c I could probably get a small discount at 80 or 90 mil.

If I'm the Bears and I have the qb whisperer and McCown as a solid backup who can run his system, I'm not sure I'm willing to pay him 70-100 mil. Even if you think he COULD be worth that much if he can stay healthy.

Now I'm not a GM, let alone the Bears GM, and if HE feels Cutler, if he can stay healthy is worth 100mil nothing any of us think is going to amount to a hill of beans.
  10. little bear

little bear

Ratings:
    +358 / 0 / -0
    If I were Emery I'd try to draft a decent QB in the second or third round (Aaron Murray or Zach Mettenberger), keep McCown and re-sign Cutty to a 4-year $75-80 mil contract (40 mil guaranteed) without breaking the bank.

I think Cutler knows he's not getting $100 mil anywhere, that's why he would be okay to come back for less.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +858 / 1 / -0
    Emery is going to tag him. Bet on it. He's not going to pay big bucks for a long term commitment to a frequently injured 31yo QB (even if he is "top 10") who hasn't ever proven he can win big games consistently. He also knows he's got a solid backup in McCown for cheap to run Trestman's offense and a QB-friendly HC who wants to develop a rookie from scratch.

Emery will go with the one year "rental" FT like he did with Melton and Forte and decide next year on the longer term question. He won't let Cutler sniff the open market. That's my best educated guess based on history and economic logic.
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 5 / -4
    That is approx 18+ mil a year on the low end; how is that NOT breaking the bank; we could FT him for that this year and if the kid develops have a new qb next year. 40mil guaranteed is what Romo got for a 7yr 100mil deal, and you want to throw 40mil guaranteed at a 4year 80mil deal(50%)? Ahh no.
    If you give Cutler 80+ mil it better be over 5+ years and the guaranteed amount better be WAY down from 40m.
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,533 / 0 / -0
    It would be a no-brainer if Cutler were a younger, healthier & lower-mileage guy. I have no doubt he will be able to play at a Romo or Rivers level. But he probably will continue to play partial seasons due to injuries (not his fault, but it's part of the equation). I wish we'd had Trestman here a few years ago. We'd have had a better OL in front of Jay, and he'd be a better QB now. Healthier and lower mileage too.

If there were any way to bring in a young guy for Trestman to begin ramping up, while having Jay here one more year - that would be ideal. That way you don't have to part with Jay until you have a solid guy in place. Trestman seems to be the guy who can develop a solid young QB for us, who can be our QB for many years to come.
  14. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 5 / -4
    on the other hand...if you are going to rebuild the D and therefore be in a "rebuilding year" why not just bring in a new qb to play and get used to the nfl on the spot.

i'd rather wait a year, but if next year is lost...why pay a qb 18 mil to play in a lost year?
    • Like Like x 1
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,533 / 0 / -0

Ric, I thought that very thing, but I wasn't going to post it. When you mention the "R" word here, people go nuts. But frankly, I did think that very same thing. I'd be fine with that scenario, simply due to the fact I believe Trestman can build our "quarterback of the future" and we'd be set for many years at the position.
  16. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +775 / 2 / -0
    Cutler is not stupid (he just plays that way). He has seen his play get better under Trestman. I think he realizes that Trestman is going to be his best bet to improve as a QB. I think that is worth something to him.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +858 / 1 / -0
    That's a good point and the wildcard in all this is "what might Cutler sign for"? How much does Marshall and Trestman mean to him? What if some other team offers him more than Emery is willing to? Will he take the money and run?

Players often talk a lot hometown discount-rah-rah-I love my team stuff until someone puts a lot of zeros down on paper to their agent and then all of a sudden outlooks change.

I kinda doubt Jay is going to take a way below market value deal (maybe a little). I also doubt Emery is going to get in a bidding war or risk him taking the big cash and bolting town. He is prob gonna get tagged so Emery/Trestman can kick the can down the road one more season and see what the draft offers.
  18. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 5 / -4
    The other aspect of this is, that this is Cutlers last shot at a big contract, 2-3-4 years down the line he's not getting one.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,533 / 0 / -0
    Good point Ric. Looking at it from Jay's perspective, it's his final "Big Payday" if he can get a solid long-term deal to finish out his playing days with one team. A franchise tag isn't in his best interest due to the fact it's 1 year, and probably hurts his career earning potential to some extent. After that 1 year deal he's not as marketable for a long term deal due to being that much older (he'd be negotiating a 2015 and beyond contract at that point).
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +858 / 1 / -0
    The tag may not be in "his best interests", but Cutler doesn't have a say in that. He can refuse to sign the tender and hold out (not getting paid) but that's it. He can't force Emery to sign him to a long term deal of Phil doesn't want to.
    • Agree Agree x 1