NFL Set Cap @ $133 mil..................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 1, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Today the NFL announced the 2014 salary cap will be $133 million, an increase of $10 mil over 2013. This is the highest it's ever been and considerably more than the $126 mil and changes estimated last fall. With the Bears significantly below $10 mil of remaining cap space following their 2014 signings this can only be good news.

They've picked up another $10 mil in cap room, they can add another $10-$14 mil depending on what happens with Peppers, and they can easily pick up another $10 mil or more if needed by restructuring the deals they handed out to Cutler, Jennings and Slauson. Bringing back Garza, and Hayden were good moves but now it's time to get serious.

Before anyone can even think about trying to project their draft they need to make some decisions about who comes and who goes on the DLine and what to do about Tillman and McCown. Both are players they badly need if they hope to compete for a championship. This $10 mil bump should go a long way towards securing them for another year or two.

If someone has posted on this already I apologize. I didn't see it and the mods can simply combine this with that thread.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +956 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,181ß
    The salary cap bump definitely helps. I would still like to go younger and get TJ WARD and Alteraun Vereen. The extra cap space can get us two good F/Agents and I love Tillman but if I can get a long term replacement vs a yr from Tillman I am going 4 or 5 yrs. This is where Emery makes his money ___ How will the draft play out and which players he has targeted. Which rounds can you get a starting player at DE, DT, CB, SS, FS, ILB, maybe. I would hope in this draft you get 2 or 3 solid starters. Which ones come from the draft and which ones are F/agents. Do you sign long term free agents or 1 yr fixes. Do you sign M Bennets and Bushrods, or do you sign DJ's and Andersons. Very interesting, would love to be a fly on the wall sometimes.
  3. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    Spend as much as possible on front loading a deal for Byrd. Last year we were forced into experimenting with bunch of little deals to plug many holes, this year lets go big to fill that extremely important one with a top caliber S.
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Do you actually believe they'll spend that big on a free agent Safety sox? Sorry but with there being at least two or three good prospects in this draft they'd pay less for in four years than they would in guaranteed money alone for Byrd or T.J. Ward I just don't see it. There are just too many other needs and players to be signed to over pay for a Safety even one like those two.

I don't believe they need to front load deals to get them done either. They're now saying the cap should continue to rise over the next year or two and we could be looking at $150-$155 mil by 2016. I understand the benefits of doing it but unless you do it like they did with Cutler, Slauson, and Jennings and build in an ability to restructure it at will it can still be a trap. They did do that with Peppers remember?
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,595 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    644ß
    I'm not saying they should go all out to get Byrd, but we really do need to sign a starting caliber SS in FA. Wright is a dumpster fire and a goner and Conte is hanging by a thread as a starter (will have to compete for the FS job with a rook draft pick in all likelihood). Are we going to draft TWO safeties in the first 3-4 rounds of the draft, one of whom will have to be able to start day 1? Ummm, we need 2 or our top 3 picks to be DL IMO. Pretty much every Joe Blow RB was through to the second level in a flash last year so I'd invest the lions share of draft resources there.

JMO but I see Phil in basically a must-sign position for a FA safety who's a plausible starter on the strong side.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. dabears

dabears Veteran

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    How good are the 2nd tier safeties after Byrd and Ward? I mean if you beef up the Dline ( first 2 picks and FA)and resign Peanut to a decent 1-2 year contract then you can draft a safety in round 3.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,326 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,298ß
    I figure the rebuild on defense is more than Emery can complete in 2014. Yes, we need BOTH safeties replaced (like yesterday) and we will have a huge void if Peanut is done here in Chicago (he's going to be a hard guy to replace, and a key need in this division particularly). The LB corps still needs help (Shea may or may not be worth keeping there). The dline is a train wreck. You tell me how Emery is going to fix all of that in one year - starters AND quality depth. I don't see it happening. Oh, he'll make some nice improvements for sure. But I really believe it will be 2015 before the D is finished being rebuilt in its entirety. The extra cap space helps. It won't be enough to solve all of our needs this season. We need about 6 first round picks in THIS draft to fix the D :-)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,680 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    764ß
    Bills have already said he's getting franchised again.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I kind of expected that. The Bills aren't about to let him walk and get nothing for him. T.J. Ward is a guy who thinks too much of himself and is looking to get over paid. I'd say the Bears search in FA probably starts with a guy like Donte Whitner from SF or Ryan Clark from Pitt. They were interested in Clark a couple of years ago. Here's a complete list as of March 1st so take your pick of anyone you want guys EXCEPT Major Wright, LOL. There are some decent vets that could plug a gap at SS or compete with Conte at FS. Then we take another in the second or third round of the draft. I'm not big on taking a Safety over a Lineman in round one. There are no Ronnie Lotts in this draft.

Safeties

Husain Abdullah, Kansas City Chiefs
    Mike Adams, Denver Broncos
    Nate Allen, Philadelphia Eagles
    Will Allen, Pittsburgh Steelers
    Colt Anderson, Philadelphia Eagles
    Yeremiah Bell, Arizona Cardinals
    Antoine Bethea, Indianapolis Colts
    Sergio Brown, Indianapolis Colts
    Stevie Brown, New York Giants
    Jairus Byrd, Buffalo Bills
    Ryan Clark, Pittsburgh Steelers
    Chris Clemons, Miami Dolphins
    Kurt Coleman, Philadelphia Eagles
    Chris Crocker, Cincinnati Bengals
    Louis Delmas, Detroit Lions
    Quintin Demps, Kansas City Chiefs
    Reed Doughty, Washington Redskins
    Matt Giordano, St. Louis Rams
    Steve Gregory, New England Patriots
    Jose Gumbs, Washington Redskins
    Roman Harper, New Orleans Saints
    Michael Huff, Denver Broncos
    James Ihedigbo, Baltimore Ravens
    Malcolm Jenkins, New Orleans Saints
    Jim Leonhard, Buffalo Bills
    Kendrick Lewis, Kansas City Chiefs
    Chris Maragos, Seattle Seahawks
    Taylor Mays, Cincinnati Bengals
    Danny McCray, Dallas Cowboys
    Brandon Meriweather, Washington Redskins
    Quintin Mikell, Carolina Panthers
    Jeromy Miles, Baltimore Ravens
    Mike Mitchell, Carolina Panthers
    Ryan Mundy, New York Giants
    Bernard Pollard, Tennessee Titans
    Ed Reed, New York Jets
    Craig Steltz, Chicago Bears
    Darian Stewart, St. Louis Rams
    Darrell Stuckey, San Diego Chargers
    T.J. Ward, Cleveland Browns
    John Wendling, Detroit Lions
    Donte Whitner, San Francisco 49ers
    Charles Woodson, Oakland Raiders
    Major Wright, Chicago Bears
    Usama Young, Oakland Raiders
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,326 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,298ß
    Unfortunately, that's often the case with FA's. If they're any good, they often are overpaid. Even 3rd rate FA's often get overpaid by desperate teams.
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    True but I don't think we need to get desperate. Conte still could turn his game around and he seems committed to doing just that. As much as the fan base hates him he actually played fairly well in 2012 and that entire defensive core was nothing but chaos last year. I don't at all deny the need to being in more vet and rookie competition but Conte deserves a chance improve his game. His back is against the wall now. One more showing like last year even in camp and he may be out of the NFL for good and he knows that too. Jennings was in that same spot two years ago and turned himself into a Pro Bowl CB so it's not impossible.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,595 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    644ß
    I agree re: Conte. He's everyone's whipping boy right now and the guy everybody loves to hate but he's gonna get one more chance to regain his previous form cuz he's still on his rookie contract. Wright on the other hand is a dead man walking. Emery needs to sign a starting SS and a draft a ~ 3rd rounder to push Conte at FS. Like with the Shea miss at DE, the fact that Hardin busted so badly has left the position looking pretty bare.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Yep, that was a bad break. I really though the kid could be a difference maker. He had the size and speed but he was as breakable as glass.

Wright's always been a question mark to me. He's been up and down ever since he arrived. He misses tackles and misreads coverages constantly but then he'll get a pick or force a fumble or recover one and he's back in good graces again. I think it got to the point last year where he was so bad that it may have affected Conte's play. This may be the year we finally get lucky with a draft pick but if I'm Phil Emery I'd sure go out and get at least two vet Safeties who can start because it terrifies me that Conte is the best we have.
  14. dabears

dabears Veteran

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    Are there any WR projects out there that we can convert to CB for depth?
  15. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    There are some nice small school CBs in the draft this year. I keep reading about Pierre Desir from Lindenwood. Depending on the draft board he is rated anywhere form a 3rd round pick to a UDFA.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=82458&draftyear=2014&genpos=CB

There seem to be a bunch of them available so we could get lucky.