NFL to penalize use of racial slur

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Feb 22, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,169 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,588ß
    Updated: February 22, 2014, 9:30 AM ET
    ESPN.com news services
    The head of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, which monitors diversity in the NFL, expects the league to institute a rule where players would be penalized 15 yards for using the N-word on the field.

John Wooten, the head of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, anticipates that the NFL's competition committee will enact the rule at the owners' meeting next month.

Wooten, who previously has urged all players to stop using the N-word, thinks the NFL will rule an automatic 15-yard penalty for first-time offenders and an ejection for second infractions.

"I will be totally shocked if the competition committee does not uphold us on what we're trying to do," Wooten said, according to CBSSports.com. "We want this word to be policed from the parking lot to the equipment room to the locker room.

"Secretaries, PR people, whoever, we want it eliminated completely and want it policed everywhere."

Wooten thinks the competition committee will officially agree to the rule next month before presenting it to the owners.

"I think they're going to do what needs to be done here," he said. "There is too much disrespect in the game."

Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  2. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,169 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,588ß
    Not sure I like this at all.

While I am not in favor of anyone using that word, issuing a penalty for uttering it is not a good idea. A ref could misunderstand something a player is saying, and THINK he hears what was not said.

BOOM unearned penalty.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,688 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    it's an easy way to swing a game also; hey I heard that guy say that word 15 yards; damn shame to you had a 3rd and 1 on the 30, down by 2 w/10 sec's left; guess that chip is a bit of a gamble now.
  4. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,288 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    Thank god Katt Williams isn't playing.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,169 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,588ß
    I was going to add that, but did not want to get caught up in a "fixing" discussion. But yes, a ref can easily say I heard this or that, and boom. Penalty.

Easy way to screw over a team
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,688 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    And why is it only 1 racial slur, is it alright to use others as long as you don't use the big one? B/c I'm sure a guy like Garza wouldn't be okay w/the things he could be called w/out the other player getting penalized.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +748 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    Great point. How about sexual preference slurs? Perhaps we should have a gradation system depending on the race of the offender as well. If a white, or even half white guy says it, its 15 yards; if he's hispanic, 10 yards, and if it's a black on black assault, then it's only 5 yards.

I don't like the word either, and it never utters from my mouth, but I don't care for several other vulgarities (and that's exactly what the N-word is, a vulgarity) either. Perhaps the competition committee should take a page from George Carlin and come up with the 7 dirty words you can't say on the football field.

What if a fan yells it during plays in the red zone and the ref thinks it's a player?
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    But where does it end? I understand the point they are making but like 4da says....a fan yells out something from the end zone and the ref calls a penalty thinking its a db pissed his mark caught a TD pass... I mean what is next? "Hey fatass lineman...u are a smelly bum head!" Is our NFL gonna sound like a preschool play yard....
  9. Wolfman

Wolfman Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    One part of me want to applaud this admirable, yet seemingly, unnecessary rule...I don't have the sense that racism is that much of a problem in the NFL...go check out the shit FIFA has to deal with if you want to see racial problems...

The other part of me is confused why the NFL believes the N-word is the only racial slur worth regulating....

If you are going to target or have some kind of anti-racism/ discrimination campaign...then have one...don't just single out a single word...that's half-assed and I would almost think kinda of insulting to blacks...
    • Like Like x 3
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,688 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    only thing I'd add to that Wolf is that it should be hefty fines not neg yards or downs etc. I'm still queezy on the idea of a Ref being able to sway a game w/a 15 yard penalty is such a, potentially, huge way for something that most are not going to see/hear.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +1,441 / 5 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    It's going to be hard to ban all racial slurs when one of your teams is called the redskins.
    • Like Like x 7
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,634 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    691ß
    I understand they're wanting to crack down on anything that could be looked at as bullying or whatever, but let's be honest, does anyone really think white people are going to be using that term more, or black people?
  13. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,253 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    628ß
    What a Mongolian cluster fuck.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Rogelio

Rogelio Veteran

Ratings:
    +149 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    78ß
    "After futher review, Chicago is not assessed a penalty. The player clearly uttered "nigg-uh" with no ER."

I'm certainly no fan of the word, but I don't think you can go banning words in situations like this. In the NBA, guys get technical fouls for swearing, but a 1 point swing is nothing in a game where teams routinely score over 100 points. Giving a team 15 yards because of a player saying a word (which could easily be utter without penalty if you weren't standing right near a ref) could absolutely be a game-changer in football. Fine the guys, if anything.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +748 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    Its the world we live in guys. Some things have gotten better, other things have gotten worse. This is just the way things are going. I hope I didn't offend anyone by saying that.:cool:
  16. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    567ß
    The more people are allowed to be offended, the more offended people get. When will it end?!?!

I've always said, your feelings aren't protected in the Constitution!
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,727 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,098ß
    Is this really a problem in the NFL? Seems more like a PR stunt than anything. If they are going to punish it, it should involve fines, or ejections/suspensions for serious offenders. If this is an actual problem, that is. And im guessing it must be, since the NFL wouldnt even go down this road and put themselves in the spotlight by basically admitting that there is some racism happening on the field.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    567ß
    The biggest whiner gets heard.

We heard about this white guy killed this black kid... Yeah because ONLY black kids are being killed but white males.

IMO, things happen. I heard polish jokes all day. I hear people being called redneck all day.

Those "slang" terms are used to describe a group of people. Most commonly they aren't used in a positive context. Yet those are allowed.

The sooner we stop being so sensitive to what others say, the better off this Country will be.

The old say "Stick and stone may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.".........
    • Like Like x 1