NFL Wants Super Bowl Halftime Acts To Pay For Play................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 20, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,856 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,565ß
    Report: NFL wants Super Bowl halftime acts to pay for the privilege of 'exposure'
    [​IMG]
    By Jay Busbee 9 hours ago Shutdown Corner

[​IMG]
    View photo
    Bruno Mars, center, with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, performs during the halftime show Super Bowl XLVIII between the Seattle Seahawks and the Denver Broncos Sunday, Feb. 2, 2014, in East Rutherford, N.J. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

The NFL doesn't pay musical acts to perform at the Super Bowl halftime show, and it's not hard to see why: with a worldwide audience numbering in the nine figures, halftime acts enjoy an almost immediate bump in sales and touring revenue.

Now, at last, the NFL is apparently going in the complete opposite direction, asking musical acts to pay for the privilege of playing the halftime show.

Per a new Wall Street Journal report, the NFL has apparently narrowed the list of potential halftime performers to three: Coldplay, Katy Perry and Rihanna. From there, negotiations are getting a little sticky, according to the WSJ: "While notifying the artists' camps of their candidacy, league representatives also asked at least some of the acts if they would be willing to contribute a portion of their post-Super Bowl tour income to the league, or if they would make some other type of financial contribution, in exchange for the halftime gig."

How much is the Super Bowl halftime show worth to performers? Last year, Bruno Mars and the Red Hot Chili Peppers were onstage for about 12 minutes. With commercial time valued at $4 million per 30-second slot, that's nearly $100 million worth of publicity for a band.

Still, coming to the performers with hand extended would be a fairly bold approach on the NFL's part, especially the "post-Super Bowl tour income" idea. (It's also worth noting that the NFL will do pretty much anything to avoid another incident like Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction and M.I.A.'s bird-flip. This is another way of ensuring everybody stays within the lines.)

Of course, the pay-to-play approach opens up another avenue of possibility: The NFL didn't specify exactly where this money had to come from. Who's up for a crowd sourced effort to get the 1985 Chicago Bears Shuffle Crew back together?
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,856 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,565ß
    Wow, is there anybody's pocket the NFL doesn't want to stick their greedy grubby paws into.

As a musician I'm offended so I'll just let Van Morrison say it for me.

• Like Like x 3
  3. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +322 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    156ß
    I've thought that some of the halftime shows were so bad/lame that they should pay us to watch them
    • Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,880 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    872ß
    Well.... They were doing it for free before, I can understand them wanting to get paid.

They volunteer to play to get exposure. Charging them to play is the same as charging for a commercial. That's all the half time show really is, a length, hopefully entertaining, commercial for the artist.

I may not agree with charging the acts, but I can understand their thought process
  5. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    How does the NFL keep the lights on with all this free band exposure they have been giving away? Whew, it's a relief to hear someone discovered this loss of revenue before it got out of hand.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    Is there no dollar the nfl won't seek out? I mean Jesus!
  7. Clark Street

Clark Street Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    So now there’s a second game for which the NFL will display the winner during the Super Bowl. It will be from the results of an auction for which the highest bidder will be allowed to perform during halftime. Previously the performances were pro bono by entertainers selected by the NFL. The halftime show will now become a promotional appearance for the highest bidding singer or group from a small list of candidates.

Apparently someone within NFL management thought he had a cool idea, and no one in the league office or among the team owners laughed. There will be ads during halftime costing the same as during the game. You’d think the advertisers would want a discount for advertising during what will essentially be someone else’s paid advertisement. This will cheapen the star quality of whoever wins the bidding. I see the NFL’s display of greed as an insult to all fans who will be watching the Super Bowl. You may want to find something else to do during halftime.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,561 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    770ß
    crazy. If they have the bidding in San Fran (by the bay), can they then claim "eBay" for the auction extravaganza?
    • Like Like x 2
  9. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    This is what kills me about this ridiculous line of thinking, and why this idea will die on the vine.

The Super bowl halftime show adds value to the event. Both in the form of ticket buyers, and those watching on TV. But only if it is a band someone wants to see. If it's a crappy band, hell, I'd put on Animal Planet's Puppy Bowl before I watch some of the talent that's been on at Halftime.

But I can't put on frollicing puppies if Bruno Mars is going to be performing because of the revolt that would happen by the wives and girlfriends watching. It has become a tool to draw interest from those that would not watch the Superbowl.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    I actually enjoyed Bruno Mars...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    350ß
    Lets have the politicians debate whether Redskins should keep their name while a native American scalps Goodell's head at halftime. This could be the point where the NFL jumps the shark.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,856 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,565ß

Exactly. Goddell and his bunch would squeeze a penny flat. Asking them to pay to play is bad enough but a piece of their recording or tour revenue. If they had any idea how much it's costs to produce a tour and how much record companies get from recordings they wouldn't have the guts to even ask.

Hey Roger. Here's your piece of the action. :10 6 7[1]:
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,856 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,565ß

He put on a good show.
  14. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Will someone think of all the poor multi millionaire musicians?

Seriously, the NFL has completely ripped all the fans with ticket prices, letting the TV networks cram advertising everywhere to justify the TV contracts etc.

Really not fussed if they make some money from what will still be a money maker for most of the artists involved.
  15. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,002ß
    Soooooo don't care. When we are talking about this instead of the Bears, you know the team is in good shape though, and that I do care about.
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    I actually enjoy your avatar! Lol
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. MikeGolf97

MikeGolf97 Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    Not sure i send more than 30 seconds watching this crap anyhow, it could consist of a money with symbols and a donkey with a harmonica for all i care. Well i might actual watch it if that was the case. I would rather listen to the normal halftime dribble of " well the offense needs to score more and the defense needs to stop the other team from scoring".
  18. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    You know, I have to agree, that guy did put on a good show. His addition to the SB halftime show wasn't for you or me. It's to attract a different demographic.

I don't know how much a ticket to one of his shows would cost. The NFL should just be happy they are getting a free show for such a major event.
  19. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +840 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    748ß
    And I actually enjoy your new avatar.

:perv2:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings: