NFLPA President Winston: No 18 game seasons on my watch

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Jimmors, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,980 / 9 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,461ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/20/eric-winston-no-18-game-season-on-my-watch/

Eric Winston: No 18-game season on my watch
    Posted by Michael David Smith on March 20, 2014, 6:26 AM EDT
    [​IMG]AP
    Shortly after he was elected president of the players’ union, Eric Winston made clear that he’ll never accept an 18-game season.

Asked about expanding the schedule from 16 games to 18 games, Winston said that isn’t even something the NFL Players Association is willing to entertain.

“I can tell you 16 to 18′s dead in the water. I won’t let it happen. I don’t think any of these other guys are going to let it happen. It’s a safety issue,” Winston toldUSA Today.

Under the old Collective Bargaining Agreement, the owners had the unilateral authority to expand the regular season without the players’ consent. But under the new CBA established after the lockout of 2011, the players won the authority to reject any expansion of the regular season. And the players plan to exercise that.

The owners, however, are widely expected to expand the playoffs following the 2015 regular season, and Winston indicated that the players can accept that. If the NFL is going to add games, it’s going to add two playoff games. Not 32 regular-season games.

• Like Like x 1
  2. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    I'm ok with them adding two games to the WC, but i do believe the Superbowl should be a 3 game series. First two games should be played at each teams stadium and the final one on neutral ground.
    That would some up who the real deserving top dog team is

• Like Like x 2
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    I kinda like that idea but how much time between games? A week? Two weeks? Less than a week? Do we really want then still playing into March right up to the start of the new league year? They're already talking about the possibility of adding a second bye week and if they add two more playoff teams that alone will add another week to the playoffs. Maybe they need to move the beginning of the season up a week or two.

• Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,039 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,298ß
    That's a bold statement for an assotiation that has historically bent over every time the league has really wanted something.

That being said, good for him, I'd perfer it if they went to 2 pre season games and added a 2nd bye week, but I like the idea of a 2 extra WC games also.

As for the details, let the league and NFLPA figure that one out.

5. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,980 / 9 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,461ß
    They wouldnt have to add an entire week to the playoffs, if they went from 4 WCs to 6 WCs, they would have 3 WC games instead of 2 the first week, and could simply split them 3/3 on Saturday and Sunday, instead of the 2/2 it is now. Everything else stays the same.

6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    If they can get it all done without expanding the season too long like the NHL I'd be all for it. There's something just a little too weird about watching the Stanley Cup finals end just before the 4th of July. :8_14_7[1]:

• Like Like x 1
  7. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +868 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    183ß
    18 games is just too long, so I'm cool with that. I think a reduction to 3 Pre-Season games seems reasonable; In my opinion, 4 games is a bit much, but I can see wanting more than just two games to check out prospects and do some fine tuning. I also think and extra 2 wild card games would be good; I don't want to water the playoffs down too much, but there are always a couple of teams that for a variety of reasons (early season injuries, difficult early schedule, etc.) come on later in the season and appear to deserve a shot.

I am not for a 3 game Superbowl. I'm not sure where that came from; if that's just a message board fans opinion or what, but no. One game, One Champion.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,983 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,314ß
    In the end, it's all about the money - both players and the franchises ultimately will do whatever it takes to make more money. This is just posturing.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,980 / 9 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,461ß
    They will never have a multiple game championship. NFL has always been "win or go home" in the playoffs. There are no second chances.

• Like Like x 2
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,039 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,298ß
    Not just that Jimmors, but you could not extend the Champ game to 3 weeks which is what you would have to 2 b/c the players are to beat to play mutliple games in a week.