NFLPA President Winston: No 18 game seasons on my watch

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Jimmors, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,021 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    253ß
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/20/eric-winston-no-18-game-season-on-my-watch/

Eric Winston: No 18-game season on my watch
    Posted by Michael David Smith on March 20, 2014, 6:26 AM EDT
    [​IMG]AP
    Shortly after he was elected president of the players’ union, Eric Winston made clear that he’ll never accept an 18-game season.

Asked about expanding the schedule from 16 games to 18 games, Winston said that isn’t even something the NFL Players Association is willing to entertain.

“I can tell you 16 to 18′s dead in the water. I won’t let it happen. I don’t think any of these other guys are going to let it happen. It’s a safety issue,” Winston toldUSA Today.

Under the old Collective Bargaining Agreement, the owners had the unilateral authority to expand the regular season without the players’ consent. But under the new CBA established after the lockout of 2011, the players won the authority to reject any expansion of the regular season. And the players plan to exercise that.

The owners, however, are widely expected to expand the playoffs following the 2015 regular season, and Winston indicated that the players can accept that. If the NFL is going to add games, it’s going to add two playoff games. Not 32 regular-season games.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    I'm ok with them adding two games to the WC, but i do believe the Superbowl should be a 3 game series. First two games should be played at each teams stadium and the final one on neutral ground.
    That would some up who the real deserving top dog team is
    • Like Like x 2
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,471 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    720ß
    I kinda like that idea but how much time between games? A week? Two weeks? Less than a week? Do we really want then still playing into March right up to the start of the new league year? They're already talking about the possibility of adding a second bye week and if they add two more playoff teams that alone will add another week to the playoffs. Maybe they need to move the beginning of the season up a week or two.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,480 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    304ß
    That's a bold statement for an assotiation that has historically bent over every time the league has really wanted something.

That being said, good for him, I'd perfer it if they went to 2 pre season games and added a 2nd bye week, but I like the idea of a 2 extra WC games also.

As for the details, let the league and NFLPA figure that one out.
  5. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,021 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    253ß
    They wouldnt have to add an entire week to the playoffs, if they went from 4 WCs to 6 WCs, they would have 3 WC games instead of 2 the first week, and could simply split them 3/3 on Saturday and Sunday, instead of the 2/2 it is now. Everything else stays the same.
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,471 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    720ß
    If they can get it all done without expanding the season too long like the NHL I'd be all for it. There's something just a little too weird about watching the Stanley Cup finals end just before the 4th of July. :8_14_7[1]:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +639 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    18 games is just too long, so I'm cool with that. I think a reduction to 3 Pre-Season games seems reasonable; In my opinion, 4 games is a bit much, but I can see wanting more than just two games to check out prospects and do some fine tuning. I also think and extra 2 wild card games would be good; I don't want to water the playoffs down too much, but there are always a couple of teams that for a variety of reasons (early season injuries, difficult early schedule, etc.) come on later in the season and appear to deserve a shot.

I am not for a 3 game Superbowl. I'm not sure where that came from; if that's just a message board fans opinion or what, but no. One game, One Champion.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    In the end, it's all about the money - both players and the franchises ultimately will do whatever it takes to make more money. This is just posturing.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,021 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    253ß
    They will never have a multiple game championship. NFL has always been "win or go home" in the playoffs. There are no second chances.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,480 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    304ß
    Not just that Jimmors, but you could not extend the Champ game to 3 weeks which is what you would have to 2 b/c the players are to beat to play mutliple games in a week.
  11. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,272 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    157ß
    No, the NFL is asking for some "New Coke" outrage if they do something like play multiple games for the Super Bowl. Possibly worse.
  12. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I don't understand the 18 games is a safety issue business.

If you're injured you are injured and shouldn't be playing if their is significant risk of further injury. The length of season shouldn't change that. Adding 2 games increases the chances of injury but really that risk is high how it is. An 18 game season might actually increase the use of rotation players at all spots and protect players that way.

Personally I'll keep laughing at the NFLPA whilst they keep signing on the CBA's with non guaranteed contracts. They end up maximising the money the very best players get and screwing everyone else who gets cuts whenever they aren't required. It's the exact opposite to what a union is meant to do.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. yttocs

yttocs Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Just cut preseason from 4 to 2 games, and make the other 2 season games. Many,many years ago when players sold tires in the off season, I can see the need for FULL training camp. Will all the precamps they have all year long ,it's just not needed anymore. They are now year round players. You have to pay full price for preseason games anyways, no discount? Your starters play 1 quater in first game,2 quarters in second game, 3 quarters in third and a series in the 4th game. Thats less the 2 full games,yet 4 full price tickets to see it.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    I can see a 2 game preseason and a developmental league up and running so if needed you can always find playable fill-ins that are ready to jump in. a minor league football in smaller cities, maybe 1 up here in Toronto seeing how we have troubles filling up our dome for the Bills. :36_1_11[1]:
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,471 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    720ß
    As far as I can see the NFL would never condone a multi-game championship. They need all the build up and all the hoopla surrounding it because it's a huge money maker for them and the broadcast networks. More than one game would dilute all that.
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +998 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    I can't see any motivation to change the playoff format away from a single-elimination tournament. For multiple reasons. I'm also not in favor of expanding the post-season beyond 6 teams per conference. This isn't the NBA or NHL where .500 teams should get in and get a 5 or 7 game series to do what they haven't already validated in the RS. One of the NFL's unique qualities is that "every game means something" which isn't true in any of the the three other major sports leagues.

As far as the rest goes, any proposal that reduces the stupid preseason and adds 1 or 2 more REAL regular season games I'm willing to listen to. There are ways to do it without impacting "safety" (expanding rosters, limiting all players to 16 active games) but the NFLPA doesn't want that because it might dilute the earnings of the marquee players who run the union.
  17. Trackguy

Trackguy Veteran

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    If the owners really want 18 games, they can figure out a way to make it enticing to the union.

Possible concessions:
    - expand the rosters (more jobs)
    - proportionally increase the salary cap (which would probably be the very first demand from the union)
    - decrease the preseason games (as has already been suggested)
    - make a more forgiving Injured Reserve program (similar to what they do in baseball)

As stated before the NFLPA is not as strong as other sports player unions. Hell, they are the only goofs that haven't held out for guaranteed contracts yet.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,471 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    720ß
    All good ideas from the players perspective TG which means the owners will oppose every one of them. LOL Some things never change. :(

As far as the guaranteed contracts go I have a hunch about that. The top money guys don't want it because it would cost them money. With a hard cap in place if deals were guaranteed they'd need to be for less money and for shorter periods of time. No more 5 and 6 year deals with massive upfront money. Owners would probably figure it's best to pay as you go and three year deals might even be scarce. It might benefit those guys on the lower end of the pay scale but hurt the guys at the upper end. If they guarantee long term deals then there has to either be an out for severe or career ending injuries or the CAB needs to provide for cap relief and the owners don't want that because certain teams would be allowed to go over the cap and spend the money to pay the deal off. They aren't all Jerry Jones or Daniel Snyder. JHMO :cheers:
    • Like Like x 1