NFP Mock v2.0 by Greg Gabriel/Eric Galko

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 28, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    This is the point that many just don't get. Players drafted in that range are drafted to fill immediate needs. I fact I'd say that's true of at least the top 20. Some have used Aaron Rodgers as a guy who was drafted to sit. OK, first all of all he was drafted 24th not 14th, second the Packers have a habit of drafting QBs each year and trading them if they can't use them, third the Packers must have felt they were loaded enough at other position that they didn't need an immediate starter anywhere, and last when Rodgers was drafted QBs did not normally start in their first years. He would have started even sooner had Favre not played diva for so long. So let's not use Rodgers as a comparison.

If Fuller is drafted to play CB he'll sit. That's a given. Emery didn't give Jennings a $5 mil a year deal and agree to pay Peanut as much $3.5 mil to watch them sit and we already know Peanut won't agree to play FS so the Bears must have committed to him as a CB only. If they try Fuller at FS then how long will it take before he learns that position. Conte didn't get it until year two and then regressed in year three. Fuller is a talented kid no doubt but not the kind you want to sit for a year or two while there are other needs to be met.

Maybe Emery asked Gabriel to mock Fuller to him to throw the hounds off the trail for a while. I wouldn't put it past him. It seems like before this 8 out of ten gurus had Donald as their pick and the other two had either Jernigan or one of the Safeties. Alluding to him taking Fuller is a nice ruse if only to make that pick a little less obvious. But how can this one be taken very seriously when Jernigan drops out of the top 32 picks? Unless there's some news on him I haven't seen yet that jut doesn't seem possible.

2. BearJim

BearJim Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    81ß
    I had seen this mock before & I thought it was a bit off then. But if it plays out this way with the top 2 safeties & corners gone & Donald available @ 14 you take Donald. The only way you don't is if the Bears have another player available that they rate higher on their board or someone offers them a trade down they can't refuse in an attempt to get Barr or Bortles.

I still hope we draft Donald. I keep seeing a 3rd & long front 4 of Young, Houston, Donald & Allen, and it brings a smile to my face. We could even blitz McCellan just for the hell of it. The only way you have a chance to block that IMHO is to max protect, leaving us 6 to cover 1-2.

Now, having said that, I'm starting to think that if Donald & at least one of the top safeties are still there @ 14, they will draft the safety.

• Like Like x 2
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,755 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    823ß
    A) Whatever the motivation this mock is stupid as far as the Bears go. Emery would have to be a total idiot to pass over Donald for the 3rd best rookie CB who will be #2 on the depth chart at his position.

B) Yeah, DT or S make by far the most sense and are by far the most realistic @14. Unless Emery feels the S player available is >> the DT player available, I'd prefer to favor drafting pass rushing DT over S. Because....I feel it's the more impact-ful defensive position and the one that's a harder "hole to fill" in FA if you need to later on.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,258 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,049ß
    Couple of thoughts. Granted this is not Emery's pick for now but....

I believe the consensus is there are potentially 3 or 4 top CB's in the draft so I would not get hung up on the 3rd best. Dennard, Gilbert, and now that Fuller has proven he has the speed many analyst are putting him in with Dennard and Gilbert, I would question if he could potentially play FS while waiting for his turn at CB position. He could learn the Defense, get the speed difference between college and pros, and learn the QB's is the pros can put the ball in places where most college QB's cant. With Robie and Fuller the last top CB's available they will not last for rd 2. If we want a top CB this year we would have to take early or we will get a significantly lower capability per analyst rankings and scouting reports.

Somebody commented on Jernigan vs Hageman. Quick thought is Hageman is thought to have more upside than any of the DT's including Donald by several analysts. Granted its upside and most state Donald is more ready now, but many mocks have Hageman ahead of Jernigan and Nix. Hageman is thought to be able to play anywhere on the line and be a threat. I think this board jumped on the taking some plays off statement with no data. Been many debates on Donald and if he was double teamed or not, or schemed against in the bigger games and without looking at the tape etc.... The same could be said of Hageman as he was the only threat at Minnesota. Can anyone seriously name a player on Minn team without looking it up. Hageman is liked far more off this board than on this board, for whatever reason. I still like him and trying to warm up to Donald with you all but scared in a couple yrs we will wish we had Hageman.

Final thought, Rd 2 should still have Quarles there if we went with somebody other than DT primarily Donald in Rd 1. In reality we would probably try to make a trade with Barr and Fuller on the board. Could be a problem if Dallas still went after Donald, most mocks we take Donald so Dallas going for either a DE to replace Ware of a Nose tackle. Interesting prediction on moving Melton to replace Ware and drafting Donald. I have seen Ealy, Jenigan or Hageman primarily for Dallas but Donald was not an option as he was already gone. Dallas has Marinelli who is well aware of Meltons capabilities so this may be interesting to watch come draft day.

• Like Like x 3
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,755 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    823ß
    It may end up being a moot point with Donald since I wouldn't be surprised to see NYG take him at 12.

Hageman seems like a Emery-orgasm type pick (athletic, big upside, versatile, but with a thin resume of actual college accomplishment). I could see him pulling the trigger just because it seems like Phil-like thing to do in the first round.

6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,140 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,494ß
    No, far to many people have talked about Hagemen, nonono Emery is going to go COMPLETELY out of the ball park, unless something has changed, which I wouldn't bank on.
    TE/LB/DE are far better bets then S/DT at this point b/c Emery loves to keep them guessing.

7. Ctree5454

Ctree5454 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Fuller is one of my favorite players in this draft. He would have to sit until next year cause I dont think he is a fit for nickel but would be a great replacement for peanut. I actually like Fuller and Verett a lot more than Dennard. Verett is probably the best pure cover corner and will come up and play the run. He reminds me a lot of Jennings but better in man to man.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +470 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    465ß
    One name I haven't seen mentioned here (for CB) is Pierre Desir from Lindenhurst. Maybe a bit of a project. But nice size and speed. If he falls to the 3rd or 4th round ...

9. BearJim

BearJim Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    81ß
    I like him too but not at #14. Verett would be a great NB. He breaks on the ball bigtime & is pretty physical for his size.

10. BearJim

BearJim Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    81ß
    I like him as well. Dude has 25 INTs in his college career! Like you said, a bit of a project but the kid has a lot of talent. Some mocks have him going in the 2nd rd.