NIU QB Jordan Lynch Excited About Bears Workout

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Apr 19, 2014.

1. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,480 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    299ß
    udfa and sure.
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,631 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    279ß
    Don't waste a pick on him
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +998 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    I agree with the above two posters. I'm not a fan of using a pick on someone who will have to learn a new position for the NFL. Udfa (and probable PS year 1), then sure.
  5. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Kyle Long wasn't an offensive lineman for very long before he was drafted.

Learning a new position is irrelevant.

Especially considering Lynch may be a backup QB not a RB.
  6. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +448 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    I don't believe they will use a pick on him but I believe he does gives you good options with him. ST player plus a 3rd string backup QB and possible safety. They'll call him "Swiss" for Swiss pocket knife handy but not very effective at any specific one.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +998 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    I respectfully disagree.

If we want to draft a backup QB then let's draft an actual QB. Same thing with RB. Let's not draft some guy who was a Div 2 college QB who could run that isn't considered a NFL-level QB (even as a developmental prospect) and hope that he can learn a brand new position. We have had some sad misfires in recent years in drafting players with the hope they could play new positions even when those positions had substantial similarities. This would be an even bigger project. More like a project to become a project.

Kyle Long was an Offensive Lineman in college at a top-10 NCAA program. Yes, his resume was thin which is what made him a high risk pick in many eyes. He wasn't drafted to play a position he'd never played since high school or earlier.

I'm happy to give this Lynch kid a shot as a udfa and kick the tires to see what he can do but no way would I expend a draft selection on him.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. RoSto89

RoSto89 Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    NIU isn't D2. They play in the smaller FBS MAC conference. He lead his team to a BCS bowl but were blown out. I wouldn't mind using our last 6th round pick on him, but unfa would make more sense. He seems like a willing learner and a leader from watching him on ESPN during his Gruden interview. Might be interesting but probably nothing more than a college qb. I would love for us to grab Aaron Murray, but he will be too rich for a low pick.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,470 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    720ß
    Lynch is intriguing if only for his potential versatility and his desire. This kid is gonna be an achiever somewhere. I think whether we take him with a late pick or we take him as an UDFA he'll make the team even if it's just to play on coverage teams to begin with. He wants to play and if he has his choice it'll be with the Bears.

Let's hope no one drafts him and he's the first UDFA we sign but if we had to spend a 6th round pick on him I don't think it'll be a waste. Not many 6th rounders make the team and I believe he will. He may never be an NFL QB but he has potential as a RB and possibly a Safety. With his athletic traits he's worth a long look.